Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Functional Body Modifications

View Poll Results: Would you ever install a sub-dermal RFID implant?
Poll Options:
Yes, being a cyborg pioneer would be cool! 2 votes (28.57%)
Ew no, thats gross. 1 votes (14.29%)
Hell no, I don't want the gub'ment tracking me! 3 votes (42.86%)
RFID isn't cool enough but I might go for fancier tech implants later. 1 votes (14.29%)
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll
Functional Body Modifications
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2014, 06:32 AM

So I stumbled across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa3s9fMOic8

She hadn't done anything spectacular with it at the time of making the video, but many possibilities will be obvious to the technically minded folks here.

How many of you would consider getting an implant like this one?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2014, 01:25 PM

I like RFID or NFC with a phone or watch, but I'd never consider an implant just for that.

Edit: Oh, is that the chick who supposedly traded sex for positive game reviews?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2014, 03:06 PM

I saw an interview with a woman who had a magnet implanted in her hand. She said she got to the point where she could detect weak magnetic fields with it.

There ended up being some form of rejection problem though, so she had it removed.

And, yes. The girl in the video is the developer of which you speak.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2014, 06:28 PM

She has a magnet in her finger too.

There is all sorts of stories floating around about her. I only got as far as hearing there were stories, I didn't actually hear what the stories were.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2014, 06:34 PM

I was thinking it might be cool to use an RFID like this one in conjunction with your phone to open one of those remote access door locks that are on the market now. So like you could put your hand near your pocket in order to unlock or activate various things rather than have them activate automatically when your phone was nearby.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 30, 2014, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I saw an interview with a woman who had a magnet implanted in her hand. She said she got to the point where she could detect weak magnetic fields with it.

There ended up being some form of rejection problem though, so she had it removed.
I remember reading about that, too. Over time, the magnet began breaking down and having that crap floating around inside of you isn't a good idea.

Rumor
Aug 31, 2014, 06:09 PM

I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2014, 06:15 PM

P
Sep 1, 2014, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Edit: Oh, is that the chick who supposedly traded sex for positive game reviews?
I don't want to turn this into another Sarkeesian debate, but note that even her ex - who is clearly hurting and is accusing her cheating on him with multiple named game industry professionals - makes it clear that she didn't do that. She's only made one game, and the Kotaku reviewer she was dating has not reviewed it.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2014, 01:34 PM

You know, even if she did, I wouldn't question her "developer ethics" because of it.

I would question the ethics of the journalist, but, you know, I'd question the ethics of any "journalist" who works for a Gawker property.

Forum Links
Forum Rules