Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Weird Fax Problem

Weird Fax Problem
Big Fat Octopus
Mar 16, 2006, 09:27 PM

Hi,

I have a G3 400 iMac (pink no less) that has an exceptionally annoying Fax problem with OSX Tiger.

If I go to the print menu and select Fax PDF, instead of getting the option to use a cover page on the fax menu box I simply get a drop down menu with "item 1" and no other options. Presets are set to standard and this is a clean install of Tiger. It was doing this before I re-installed Tiger and the re-install didn't fix it.

Normally you get a dropdown menu with all sorts of options including cover page.

IF I go into the Printer Setup Utility and select "Reset Printing System" the cover page option returns for one fax then reverts to "Item 1" for the very next fax. So although there is a work around I think you would agree it is a very annoying one, especially if I have to send lots of faxes.

Has anyone ever come across this before and know what causes it?

Any help greatly appreciated.
- 24" iMac 2.4Ghz 4GB 500GB
- PMG4 450Mhz 384Mb OSXserver.
- iPhone 3GS

Big Fat Octopus  (op)
Mar 16, 2006, 10:32 PM

Found the answer and I'm posting it here for future searchers to find....

This from a post I found elsewhere:
Turns out, a printer driver has to be loaded first. Any printer driver. Same thing happened to me. Since I have an Epson C86, that someday I might use with my Powerbook, I downloaded and added that printer under the Print &
Fax/Printing Tab. Now when I choose Print/PDF Fax, the cover page dialog
came back.
- 24" iMac 2.4Ghz 4GB 500GB
- PMG4 450Mhz 384Mb OSXserver.
- iPhone 3GS

Forum Links
Forum Rules