Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > holy macbook and student discount

holy macbook and student discount
lancebroz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2011, 09:08 PM

Hey guys! this is my first post here *applause* and im looking into getting my first macbook. Im a seinor in HS and will be goin to college next year (fall 2012) and of course with this day and age im going to need it. Ive really only used a few PC desktops and have some computer knowledge so work with me haha. My first question is this..

1.) Im debating whether or not to get the 13'' unibody macbook ($999) or the 13'' Macbook pro ($1199). Im going to use it for web surfing, definatley some garage band stuff, music, papers, maybe a game or two, and some apeture stuff possibly, and whatever apps jump out at me as interesting ill definatley give a try. The problem is i am on a budget (having a part time job) and i need to know if spending the extra $200 will really improve my macbook experience, i no that the pro is a slightly better machine, but is it really really really noticable specs wise and overall experience?

The differences i see from my research is that the casing on the pro is better, it has +2 gigs RAM more than the unibody, dual core i5 insted of intel 2 duo, quad core processor, and the keyboard is backlite!!!! idc really. Is this really different in any way from the white macbook (which ive been calling unibody sorry) and if yes how? (will it run better etc.) Help me make my decision, i will be buying by the end of July for sure

2. Next is a shorter question which you could probably give me an answer for quick. If i go to an apple store and ask for a student discount (which i believe is $100), will they still give me the $100 itunes gift card to itunes, etc like advertised or is that considered the student discount? Basically will my total for a macbook pro 13'' be $1199 (+tax) and a $100 gift card or will it be $1099 (+tax) and a $100 gift card.

IF its $1099 i could see why it might be worth it to save up the extra $100 and get the discounted pro 13'' or you could think visa verse and say the the unibody macbook is only $899 now, get it? thanks guys!

A few replies would be very much appreciated!!!!!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2011, 09:31 PM

If you're going to be playing with Aperture, I'd say spend the extra dough for the MacBook Pro. The Core i5 processor will really be better in the long run anyway. To answer your second question, the student discount is an actual discount. So you'll save $100 off MSRP and then receive the iTunes gift card on top of that.

ChrisF
Senior User
Jul 13, 2011, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by lancebroz View Post
...quad core processor...
The 13" Macbook Pro is only a dual core processor, whether you go i5 or i7.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2011, 11:19 PM

The white MacBook is the most outdated machine in Apple's lineup. Either get a MacBook Pro or wait a week and get the new MacBook Airs that should be coming out soon. The white machine, however, is ridiculously overpriced for what it is, and should be avoided.

The current MacBook Pros, on the other hand, are extremely nice machines.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

ibook_steve
Jul 14, 2011, 03:13 PM

I agree with the others. Get the MBP. You might also want to wait until you get to campus. Not only might you get a better student discount, but you might get other stuff along with it.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

lancebroz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2011, 04:31 PM

ill see what the macbook air looks like and its specs and definatley conisder it if its worth it, but from my surveying people and these forums, it seems the pro is the way to go

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2011, 05:48 PM

The Macbook is history. Wait for the Macbook Air announcement and then decide.

Whatever your choice get it with solid state drive. My guess is an MBA will give excellent value, especially when price-compared with SSD Macbook Pros.

Do not buy anything without spending some time visually evaluating the display choices (glossy, anti-glare matte, high resolution) under varied lighting conditions. The differences among displays are huge, deal breakers for some of us.

lancebroz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2011, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
Do not buy anything without spending some time visually evaluating the display choices (glossy, anti-glare matte, high resolution) under varied lighting conditions. The differences among displays are huge, deal breakers for some of us.
I never thought of that in all the reseacrh ive done im heading over to my local Apple store to check them out so that will deifnatley benefit me

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2011, 08:33 PM

If you're looking at 13" models, your options are limited to

- inferior and glossy (MacBook)
- excellent and glossy (MacBook Pro 13")
- inferior, glossy, and higher-resolution (MacBook Air 13")

I doubt that the refresh will change that.

Be thankful that the whole glossy/matte issue is completely irrelevant, as you do not have that option below 15" and $1950.

aross99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2011, 04:09 PM

The current Education price for the White Macbook is $949, and the the 13" MBP is $1,099. The $100 iTunes card is in addition to this discount.

I would wait to see if we get new white MacBooks before making this decision. I suspect they will be upgraded to 4GB Ram to better support Lion. Traditionally, there has been very little CPU difference between the white MacBook and 13" MBP, so after the update, I suspect you can save yourself $150 by going with the white MacBook and without giving up any performance.

What you will give up is the Aluminum case, and (probably) the backlit keyboard. if price is a concern, I would go that way - after you see if the memory and CPU is updated...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2011, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by aross99 View Post
What you will give up is the Aluminum case, and (probably) the backlit keyboard. if price is a concern, I would go that way - after you see if the memory and CPU is updated...
What you give up is

Aluminum Case
Backlit keyboard
massive difference in display quality
Thunderbolt
Firewire
SD Card slot

lancebroz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2011, 05:51 PM

Well im goin to get the MBP pretty soon, within 2 weeks or so, how long til they update the white macbook? I heard they r updating the air next week or so, will they do it then?

Brien
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2011, 06:10 PM

It is far more likely they will discontinue the white MacBook vs. updating it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules