Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > IIsi - how do i know it is dead ?

IIsi - how do i know it is dead ?
bamadhaj
Apr 14, 2000, 12:10 PM

how do you determine that a mac isn't working ? and even narrowing it down to either the power supply or motherboard "burnout" ?

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2000, 05:19 PM

Try replacing the battery and removing all RAM (except the RAM soldered onto the motherboard). If that doesn't work, have an authorized support place check out your Mac.

bamadhaj
Apr 19, 2000, 12:00 AM

where is the battery located ? next to the power supply
? i'm not a technical person .

Alan/shopdowneastaaaa
Apr 20, 2000, 12:20 PM

the battery:
it's a 3.6 1/2 AA lithium, a very common mac battery that a local Radio Shack should have for under $10. (if you are in the boonies, write me private and I can mail one for under $10 if you are in US.)
The battery is very easy to get to-check this page: http://www.academ.com/info/macintosh/veryearly.shtml
the plastic cage can be a drag- but the cap off a bic ballpoint can be used to pry the legs of one end out, then lift and repeat other end.
You weren't very specific- what exactly is happening when you try to boot?
Grayscreen with a "?" question mark means it can't find a system folder, boot from a compatible system emergency disk (7.5.5 disk tools, or 7.1 with the right enabler?) and run Disk First Aid on the HD. Then install or reinstall a system. 7.5.5 works well, if you have extra ram. If it doesn't have extra ram 7.1 has less overhead.

Chimes of death, then "sad mac" face or some hexidecimal numbers....
write the numbers down...
remove extra ram, any extra stuff plugged in (external drives, PDS expansion boards, etc) and try again.
Then sell it for parts, or ?

Alan/shopdowneastaaaa
Apr 20, 2000, 12:40 PM

last post (and this one) wouldn't take my password, so my email didn't get in.
[email protected]
;0

bamadhaj
Apr 20, 2000, 10:49 PM

i have no idea what i'm staring at 'coz i bought imac before my friend gave this to me . there seems to no card of any form but in any case i can always sell it for parts and i've got a working IIci with monitor for $45.00 . so i guess i can use HD if ti's not dead . thank you for the info .

bamadhaj
Apr 28, 2000, 02:22 AM

ok got the battery and it's in there but it doesn't start up - even the monitor doesn't light up . could it be the power supply this time and not the battery ?

any comments ?

thanks .

Forum Links
Forum Rules