Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ATI Update on a PB 800 DVI

ATI Update on a PB 800 DVI
t_hah
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2002, 10:57 PM

Has anyone tried the updater on the 800 DVIs? I am wondering if it fixes, breaks something. Please share your experience here.

t

Kaner
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2002, 01:41 PM

not on an 800, but a 667 rev b. I know we shouldn't be messing with this update but it really works for me. Window resizing, minimizing is great, scrolling is great, everything is great. much improved

I think these will probably be included in 10.2.2 for the tibook owners out there, but if you want them now, they work...

euphras
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2002, 02:47 PM

Where did you get it? I had a quick look at ATI�s and Apple�s pages but didn�t find out...

Pat

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

t_hah  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2002, 03:32 PM

Here is a link

Anyone tried it on a DVI?

t

mrmister
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2002, 03:42 PM

yep! Installed right away, and to be honest, i can't see a difference right away...but hey, nothing seems broken, either.

jules
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2002, 04:08 PM

I installed it on a 667 DVI. Same results as mrmister.

Xtraz
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2002, 04:49 PM

Would this update work on rev A TiBooks? Anyone with Ti/400 or 500 tried it yet?

t_hah  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2002, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by Xtraz:
Would this update work on rev A TiBooks? Anyone with Ti/400 or 500 tried it yet?
I read it on some other sites, that it made their 400/500 faster under Jaguar. Especially when it comes to window dragging, and the genie effect.

I guess I will try to install it and see what happens.

t

rambo47
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2002, 08:11 PM

Hoo-ya! I just installed the updater on my Ti667 (Gigabit Ethernet) and what a difference! Window resizing much faster and smoother, plus it seems scrolling in IE is way faster.

fulmer
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2002, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by rambo47:
Hoo-ya! I just installed the updater on my Ti667 (Gigabit Ethernet) and what a difference! Window resizing much faster and smoother, plus it seems scrolling in IE is way faster.
minimize (genie effect) is quicker. it gets out of the block *much* faster--no longer is there a pause after I hit the minimize button.

same model tibook as yours. 512 MB RAM, 5400 rpm HD.

msykes
Senior User
Oct 18, 2002, 01:19 AM

Originally posted by fulmer:

minimize (genie effect) is quicker. it gets out of the block *much* faster--no longer is there a pause after I hit the minimize button.

same model tibook as yours. 512 MB RAM, 5400 rpm HD.
Hey, I love the "Location" fulmer! Clearly you have discriminating tastes in television.

So as far as this thread is showing... we have 2 reports of negligible impact on DVI (667/800) powerbooks, and 3 reports of noticeable improvements on gigabit powerbooks (550/667).

Just trying to keep track of things. Haven't had a chance to try on my 800 yet... any others?

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2002, 04:34 AM

Whoa! I just tried the update on my Pismo, and the difference in window resizing performance is very noticeable! Scrolling is a bit smoother, too. Thanks for the tip!

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2002, 05:55 AM

what? this update works also for the pismo??
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

rambo47
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2002, 08:43 AM

It should work with any PowerBook with ATi graphics. Of course you'll notice more improvement with systems containing upwards of 8 MB VRAM, but the improvement will be noticable none the less.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2002, 09:51 AM

Yeah, it's working beautifully with my Pismo. Either that, or it's all in my head. I think the machine's faster, and I use it every day.

euphras
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2002, 10:41 AM

Installed it last night, was impressed:

itunes visuals: before: 25-30 fps after: 30-40 fps

Word: before: scrolling through a large doc with heavy graphics; graphics have to be loaded every time you scroll to another area and then come back.
after: every pic has to be loaded only one time, after the whole doc has been viewed you can scroll up- and downwards and the pic�s are there instantaneously.

Powerpoint: much smoother animations and fading effects

It seems to me that the GPU now uses the RAM much more efficient

Pat

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

t_hah  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2002, 11:37 AM

I am not sure if this is a Placebo effect or it is really better, but my Ti 800 DVI feels faster. I installed the update yesterday, and then completely forgot about by the evening (this is what lot of work does to you).

Then I remember sitting in front of my computer at home at night doing some more work, and the computer felt faster. It was noticeably more responsive, and the GUI items seemed to work faster.

Once again, it might be that I was so exhausted last night that everything around me felt fast, maybe it was the restart that I hadn't done for a longer time now...I am not sure...maybe it was the ATI update, but my Ti DVI feels faster!

t

euphras
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2002, 12:24 PM

Quote:
"I am not sure if this is a Placebo effect or it is really better, but my Ti 800 DVI feels faster. "

It�s definetely NOT a placebo effect. It�s way faster. Absolutely recommended!!!

My spec�s: Ti 667 DVI, 10.1.5, 512MB RAM, iTunes 3.0

Pat

msykes
Senior User
Oct 18, 2002, 06:23 PM

Well since nobody reported problems I've installed on my 800DVI, not sure how much faster it is generally, but then again I've never had a complaint about speed. I *do* notice that iTunes framerates are up about 10fps (granted it's the worst benchmark every), for in the 30's, to in the 40's now.

Xtraz
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2002, 06:30 PM

Installed it on my Ti 500, can't say it made a big difference on scrolling/resizing (seems about the same for me). iTunes did get smoother though, by about 4-5 fps. But other than that everything stayed pretty much the same, including Flurry screensaver.

Actually the scrolling/resizing quickness doesn't bother me as much as the way when you switch windows, the borders become active first and then after a brief pause the rest of the window seem to come "active". Why can't the whole window switch over completely at the same time?

himself
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2002, 11:55 PM

I installed the update last night on my rev. B 667, and I noticed a definite improvment. iTunes was up about 10fps, I was getting a consistant 80-90 fps in UT (before, I would rarely get over 70fps), but I did start getting video glithes in Warcraft 3... weird color tinted backgrounds, some transparent elements that shouldn't be transparent, and in game characters that show up as shilouettes if show up at all. Wierd. Well, gameplay is faster. Noticable improvements in 2D performance as well.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2002, 03:48 AM

I have a PB 800 DVI. the only noticable difference so far is when Im using iTunes. I use to get around low 30s FPS max. Today i topped off at 52FPS.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2002, 04:47 PM

I just installed the latest ATI drivers on my PB 800 DVI and I concur with RMXO.

Before update: Playing visual on iTunes in full screen high qualify - max around 36fps.

After update: Playing visual on iTunes in full screen high qualify - max around 52fps.

As for window resizing, nothing noticeable. I would say it's about 10% faster.

Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2002, 07:25 AM

I don't feel any radical speed jump but the only thing I know is that I can`t play WarCraftIII anymore. There is a bug.

Forum Links
Forum Rules