Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Does Apache utilize dual processors?

Does Apache utilize dual processors?
Kaner
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2003, 10:43 AM

Does OS X's Apache utilize dual processors? I'm looking at getting a 867 DP G4 for a webserver.

ngrundy
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2003, 11:01 AM

short answer: yes.

slightly longer answer: it forks into seperate daemons to respond to each request so each new process goes onto the least loaded cpu at that microsecond
1Ghz Powerbook
40gb/1x512mb/combo/T68i
FireRAID 1 Host Independant Hotswap RAID 1 (80gb)

Kaner  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2003, 02:59 PM

sweet, thanks.

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2003, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by Kaner:
Does OS X's Apache utilize dual processors? I'm looking at getting a 867 DP G4 for a webserver.
Apache is excellent at making optimal use of whatever hardware resources are available. This is one of the reasons why it remains the web server of choice for extremely high-traffic websites. It is truley mind-boggling in scope and I'd probably not do it justice by attempting an explanation. But as the previous poster indicated, each user request can be handled by a different CPU.

If you're looking for a box just to do webserving, you might consider linux. *ducks* This is coming from somebody has never once advised anyone to use linux on the desktop. Many distributions now come with apache pre-installed/configured and with GUI based configuration tools. Linux on x86 would probably cut your initial hardware and software costs to 1/3 the price of that G4 with OS X.

Me? I'd probably still spend the extra money for a G4 with OS X.

Kaner  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2003, 04:57 PM

i'm definatley going to be getting another mac for the webserver. there are just to many things i can do with macs, ie remote desktop...

Forum Links
Forum Rules