Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Maximizing efficiency and productivity under osx?

Maximizing efficiency and productivity under osx?
RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2003, 08:04 PM

Becoming super speedy with OSX. My experience with macosx goes back to the days of the public beta. Even after all this time, I still don't find myself able to operate the machine as quickly as I used to be able to.

Perhaps it's just a matter of not knowing the keyboard shortcuts and having a plan for the jobs I will be doing. A computer when it comes down to it is is still a tool.

Anything you, the men and women of the macnn forums have to share is welcome.
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

rstevens
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2003, 09:34 AM

apple-~ for window switching is your hi-speed friend. saves me a lot of mousing around.

i think i've had less of a problem adjusting to X because i used the Application Switcher tear-off palette pretty much like the Dock in 9.

macbarry
Apr 30, 2003, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by rstevens:

i think i've had less of a problem adjusting to X because i used the Application Switcher tear-off palette pretty much like the Dock in 9.
Interesting as I also used the OS9 "Application Switcher tear-off palette" but now find the dock nowhere near as quick to use. I've really tried to adjust to the dock - played with the size, placement, etc... but find switching between apps to still be way slower (for me) than under OS9.

I'm thinking about trying the ASM shareware app that returns the app switcher to OSX. Anybody used this with 10.2.5?

mrmister
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 03:57 PM

Yes it runs great. I like that along with FruitMenu.

vsurfer
Senior User
May 2, 2003, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by macbarry:
Interesting as I also used the OS9 "Application Switcher tear-off palette" but now find the dock nowhere near as quick to use. I've really tried to adjust to the dock - played with the size, placement, etc... but find switching between apps to still be way slower (for me) than under OS9.

I'm thinking about trying the ASM shareware app that returns the app switcher to OSX. Anybody used this with 10.2.5?
I like to use a gazillion apps and folders but I found the dock too slow -- having to visually sort so may icons. Drag Thing is my friend now -- I moved my dock to the left, I have a small processes strip/application switcher on the right, and a thin strip of tabbed folders on the bottom to quickly access, Apps, OS9 Apps, Design Apps, Folders, Games, Text editors, Dev stuff, Network, utilities, Databases, and websites. Apart from that I try to keep the rest of my desktop relatively clear.

Colonel_Panic
May 2, 2003, 11:45 PM

Its keyboard shortcuts that get me around.

Also keep in mind Protected memory. Some people leave most of their common apps open all the time. You can run OS X like that with out a speed bump most of the time, until you start to run out of RAM.

Keyboard shortcuts

Look around for hacks that help you around IE fruit menu, iclock, menu meters, Application switcher, replacement docks

Keyboard shortcuts

A multi button mouse also helps. Logitech makes great multi-button mice with programmable buttons, I use these all the time, I can eject a cd and alter my volume while changing all with my mouse buttons.

Keyboard shortcuts.

Organize your files so you know where they are, There are only a few folders you cannot move to where ever you want. IE system folder library folder and users folder. Make a folder full of aliases to your fav. apps and throw that in the dock, then you can get rid of ALL apps in the dock and use it as an app switcher only.
With that you can tell what is running with a glance and shut down apps with a simple right\control click

I think that about sums it up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules