Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > iMovie is crashing a lot

iMovie is crashing a lot
Dubloseven
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2003, 06:11 PM

i am using iMovie to edit my video, and it has crashed at least 10 times in the last 30 minutes. it crashes right after i add a transition and then attempt to do anything else. does anyone know what is causing this? it is getting veeerrrryyyy annoying and i can hardly work on it anymore.
MacBook 2.0, 4 gig Nano, Nike+
loving cal poly slo every minute!

Dubloseven  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2003, 06:14 PM

it just happened again, right after I finished watching a small clip of the unfinished film.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2003, 08:56 PM

I, and many others, have had the same problem? Have you tried updating it to the latest version? I haven't tested the latest version.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2003, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by Dubloseven:
i am using iMovie to edit my video, and it has crashed at least 10 times in the last 30 minutes. it crashes right after i add a transition and then attempt to do anything else. does anyone know what is causing this? it is getting veeerrrryyyy annoying and i can hardly work on it anymore.
I'm assuming you're using iMovie3, which has caused similar problems for a lot of people, including myself. I've stopped using it until they debug it.

Two things I've heard: (1) do not try to import unfinished iMovie2 projects into iMovie3 - you'll have a mess on your hands, as I did; (2) iMovie3 needs lots of processing power - if you don't have at least an 800 G4, it's probably not worth the trouble.

I'm a big admirer of Apple but they really blew it on this one. I'm still pissed off about the amount of time it cost me.

Dubloseven  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2003, 02:24 AM

im using a 12" pb with 3.0.2.

apple needs to fix it! it works great for a while, and then goes through a period of craziness and instability

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2003, 12:21 PM

I've done 4/12 hours worth of video on it with only 2 crashes on myibook 700. I guess I'm VERY lucky!!!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2003, 09:49 PM

I find it's not the length of the video, but the number of clips (and transitions, etc.). The more clips, the more unstable it is. This really starts to show far too consistently once you hit over 20 clips.

Dubloseven  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2003, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
I find it's not the length of the video, but the number of clips (and transitions, etc.). The more clips, the more unstable it is. This really starts to show far too consistently once you hit over 20 clips.
wow, that really sucks. i only just started editing the video, and i have a lot to do. looks like its gonna be a long process!

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2003, 09:45 PM

wow, that really sucks. i only just started editing the video, and i have a lot to do. looks like its gonna be a long process!
Dubloseven, if you're having problems, I seriously recommend using iMovie2 instead. The aggravation you'll experience with iMovie3 isn't worth it. iMovie2 doesn't have as many features but it's much easier to work with, it's much faster, and it's very stable. If you want iMovie3's features, finish your project in iMovie2, SAVE A COPY, then load it into iMovie3 and add what you want.

Dubloseven  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2003, 12:01 AM

zigzag-
if i used imovie2, would i be able to transfer the saved file into imovie 3 to add a few things? if so, i think i might do that. also, where would i download imovie2?

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2003, 08:36 AM

zigzag-
if i used imovie2, would i be able to transfer the saved file into imovie 3 to add a few things? if so, i think i might do that. also, where would i download imovie2?
I've read of other people finishing projects in 2 (because it's faster and more stable), then moving them to 3 for additional work with 3's extra features. I don't know if they transferred the project directly from 2 to 3, or if they put the project on DV tape first, then loaded it into 3 from the tape. There's no harm in trying it either way as long as you SAVE A COPY!

When I tried to move an unfinished project directly from 2 to 3, 3 turned it into a complete mess. I hadn't saved a copy and had to start over. Personally, I don't want to go near 3 again until they debug it.

I'm not sure if 2 is available for download anywhere - I couldn't find it at the Apple site. I ended up erasing my hard drive and reinstalling 2 from the discs that came with my machine. It was a big pain but IMO it was still preferable to using 3, and my drive needed to be cleaned up anyway.

If you have access to another machine with 2 on it, I've heard that it will copy OK from one machine to another.

blizaine
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2003, 01:01 PM

I haven't had to use iMovie for a while so I just had my first experience with iMovie3.

It has lots of cool features but man it started crashing like crazy towards the middle to end of my project.

I was just doing a basic slide show with motion on each slide (Pan/Zoom), but I had about 130 photos....

This movie took about 4 times longer than it should have, oh well, still a very cool product and going out to iDVD was seamless and looked great.

-blizaine

Dubloseven  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2003, 12:17 PM

i'm still not quite sure if i'll use imovie 2 or not, but im downloading the checkolsovakian version from the checkolsovakian apple website. i hope it will work for me, and have some english in it. does anyone know where i can get the english version?

macbarry
Apr 22, 2003, 01:16 PM

I have to agree that iMovie3 is a very unstable - especially compared to iMovie2. I've been using vs3 for a couple of weeks now and experienced all kinds of freezes, crashes, and generally bizarre problems. Very un-iMovie like

iMovie3 does have some nice features over vs2 but with all of the strangeness I'd really like to go back to the very stable iMovie2 as well. The question is how to do that? I'm in OS10.2.4 anyone got any ideas?

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2003, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by macbarry:
iMovie3 does have some nice features over vs2 but with all of the strangeness I'd really like to go back to the very stable iMovie2 as well. The question is how to do that? I'm in OS10.2.4 anyone got any ideas?
Did your machine come with 2, or 3? If 2, you can always use the restore or software disks to reinstall 2.

Dubloseven  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2003, 09:36 PM

i just had a good idea on how to make imovie3 stable! i will make my movie in several sections. now that the section i am working on is unstable, i will start a new one and then just mix those two together later! does anyone know if it is hard to import clips from the clips folder into the new movie section? also, would it be hard once i finish to mix the several sections together to make one big movie? thanks.

macbarry
May 8, 2003, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by zigzag:
Did your machine come with 2, or 3? If 2, you can always use the restore or software disks to reinstall 2.
No - my machine came with iMovie3.

As far as importing clips from another iMovie "media" file this is no problem - just check the clip number in the old file before importing to the new. Be aware however that transitions, titles and edits will not show up in the imported clip.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
May 10, 2003, 09:47 AM

Yes.. the new version of imovie crashes..

Seems to do it whenever you try to work with clips longer than 10 minutes, and right after you do a transition betweeen video clips.

It does it on the very latest version (new 1.42 duel here).

Not just me, but at the Apple store too! It crashed at the NYC Soho Apple store during a demonstration,
and also when they tried to export to iDVD.

I hope there is a fix coming to this soon.

Forum Links
Forum Rules