Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Question about the battery part for 12" powerbook

Question about the battery part for 12" powerbook
piriya
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2004, 11:43 PM

Hi.

I just got my 12" powerbook two days ago. So I'm really new to it. Anyway. I opened took out the battery part and installed the airport card, then I put the battery back in. However, what I notice is that the battery doesn't "fully" go in. It seems to be sticking out a little bit. By a little bit I do mean very little bit; i can only feel it when i glide my finger over the bottom of the notebook to find out that the surface of the battery is uneven with the surface of the notebook itself.

I tried taking it out and it still seems to be sticking out, probably by less than 1 mm. However, being a perfectionist, this annoys me a little. Is this normal for a 12" powerbook? Is it due to the way the design the battery (with the coin thing)?

I'm sorry for asking such a stupid question, but your reply would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

KidKit
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2004, 02:08 AM

I believe you are talking about the edge of the battery that runs parallel and closest to the LED indicators on the battery unit. There is a slight outward pressure on the battery that might result in a slight protrusion, I believe this is because of the spring loaded clasp mechanism that locks the battery in place (You can see it in action by removing the battery and turning the flushed battery lock with a coin).

Unfortunately, I don't have an idea if its fixable. It should not be jutting out a lot, if at all... If its sticking out 1 mm, that would be an edge that might get caught in things, and should be looked at by Apple. On the other hand, a small bump is probably not be a real issue, other than being an annoyance. One that annoys simply because you know its there

I've probably not answered you, but congratulations your new powerbook, and enjoy it!

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2004, 07:50 AM

the battery itself is actually made of two seperate parts: the actual battery, and the metal plate that covers it. if you look at the area of the battery with the contacts, you can see a little crossbar holding the battery to the plate. this connection is a little loose, however, so it is going to stick out a bit. i suppose if you were really anal you could go in and glue it, but i wouldn't reccomend it.
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

Forum Links
Forum Rules