Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Online Apple Store Educational Discount Verification

Online Apple Store Educational Discount Verification
K107
Apr 20, 2004, 05:13 PM

I just wondering who has purchased from the Apple online store with an educational discount. If you have how do they check that you are eligible? I've have read that they do an audit and if they find out that you were not eligible at the time they bill you. I just wondering because I'm not in school at the time but will soon and want to purchase a few things.

Hous68
Apr 20, 2004, 07:36 PM

From the help section of the Apple Store for Education

Who is eligible to purchase?
K-12 Education
Any employee of a K-12 institution in the United States is eligible to purchase through the Apple Store for Education Individuals. School board members who are currently serving as elected or appointed members are eligible. PTA or PTO executives currently serving as elected or appointed officers are eligible. Qualified homeschools are also eligible.

Higher Education
Any individual student enrolled in a course of study leading to a degree or certification in a public or private Higher Education Institution is eligible to purchase. In addition, any individual who has been accepted by a public or private Higher Education Institution and who has responded by stating his or her intent to enroll in the institution is eligible to purchase. Any faculty member of a public or private Higher Education institution and any staff member who is directly associated with the Institutionís academic mission and is not temporary, employed as a contractor, or acting as a consultant on behalf of the Institution is eligible to purchase.

Apple reserves the right to verify eligibility.
When I ordered my G4 through them 2+ years ago, I remember having to fax a copy of my ID, but I'm not sure if they do that anymore.
Peace. Love. MacOSX.

Chito
Senior User
Apr 21, 2004, 09:29 AM

I've bought at least a couple things from The edu store and I can remember once having to fax them proof of employment....I faxed a recent pay stub. Since that time I've changed schools, went from a high school to a college, and didn't have to confirm with them. Personnaly I'm glad they do something to verify if you're qualified.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2004, 11:01 AM

My wife is a teacher and we have abought several things form the edu store. Never once have they asked for proof to receive the discount.

macbarry
Apr 21, 2004, 11:17 AM

If you have an "edu" email address then there will be no questions. If you do not have this then you will have to verify your educational status (various methods) at the time of purchase.

s0litude
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2004, 12:06 PM

My friend had to fax a current schedule of classes, or a certificate of enrollment from his school. But this was for his first purchase. After that, they didn't ask for anything anymore.

Update: When i bought from the apple store in oakbrook, IL, they asked for a school id.
Hi!

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2004, 10:37 AM

They gave you the edu discount at the apple store. Wow, they must have change their policy or something. In the past all edu discounts had to be redeemed at the online store.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2004, 12:34 PM

The stores give you discounts on hardware only, not on software.

(I've also been asked for my ID) <-- Not a big deal.

turboSPE
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2004, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by K107:
I just wondering who has purchased from the Apple online store with an educational discount. If you have how do they check that you are eligible? I've have read that they do an audit and if they find out that you were not eligible at the time they bill you. I just wondering because I'm not in school at the time but will soon and want to purchase a few things.
When I purchased at a retail store, I had to give them my ID (to copy I think) and fill out a form stating I was in fact a student. No big deal.

turboSPE

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2004, 01:03 AM

report cards should work too
Aloha

Forum Links
Forum Rules