Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Wireless newby question - will this system work?

Wireless newby question - will this system work?
macbarry
Jul 6, 2004, 11:47 AM

I've just installed an Airport card (11b) in my iBook (G3/500) running OS 10.3.4 and wanted to purchase a 3rd party wireless router (I'm looking at the Netgear MR814) for internet use.

I have a wired ethernet network currently serving 3 other Macs using a cable modem and 4 port Linksys router. My question is will I be able to hook the new wireless router up to the existing Linksys (port #4) via ethernet cable and then broadcast that internet connection to my iBook?

Thanks in advance for any insight on if this idea will work.

Chito
Senior User
Jul 6, 2004, 12:46 PM

I kbnow this isn't what you're looking for in the way of an answer....but why not replace your original router with the netgear? It's also a four port router so it should serve all your macs wired and wireless. BTW....I also have the MR814 but I'm only running two macs off of it. I like the router so much I just bought one for my girlfriend too. Nice bang for the buck.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

macbarry  (op)
Jul 6, 2004, 01:04 PM

I knew someone would ask that:-) The reason I need the wireless router in addition to the existing router is that my cable modem / ethernet router (and the 3 other Macs) are all in the basement and I'll be using the iBook/airport upstairs in the opposite end of the house. I've already got an ethernet cable running to the upstairs but I also wanted to have the freedom of the wireless as well.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 6, 2004, 02:07 PM

I would not advise putting the wireless router blindly onto the Linksys' output -- you'll be running double NAT.

Instead, either buy a wireless access point (not wireless router!), or be sure that any wireless router you choose can work in "access point" mode. Most cannot do that, for example my D-Link and my old Netgear. The only ones I know of that definitely have this feature are Apple's AirPort models.

The other way of doing it, if you get a wireless router, is to turn off its DHCP server, and when you hook it up, don't connect the ethernet cable to the WAN port! Instead, leave the WAN port empty, and connect the ethernet to one of the LAN ports. Be sure to configure the new router separately before connecting it, as almost all routers default to using the same private IP address, which would make it impossible to configure it.

tooki

macbarry  (op)
Jul 6, 2004, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
The other way of doing it, if you get a wireless router, is to turn off its DHCP server, and when you hook it up, don't connect the ethernet cable to the WAN port! Instead, leave the WAN port empty, and connect the ethernet to one of the LAN ports. Be sure to configure the new router separately before connecting it, as almost all routers default to using the same private IP address, which would make it impossible to configure it.

tooki
Tooki - thanks very much for the info! I had a feeling that what I wanted to do was too easy:-) Meanwhile, I cannot figure out from the Netgear website if the MR814 router (described here: http://www.netgear.com/products/details/MR814.php?view=) will work in "wireless access point mode" but the method you describe above is also described on the Netgear site here: http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N101236.asp

I will give that a try as the Netgear unit is sooooo much cheaper than any of Apple's AP stations.

macbarry  (op)
Jul 6, 2004, 10:34 PM

Good news - the MR314v2 ($30 with rebate) comes with the wireless access point set on as default and it's quite easy to turn off the DHCP server by simply following the Netgear's config software's link to the LAN IP settings. I'm now writting MacNN from the comfort of the couch for the first time ever:-) Thanks again for Tookie for your help.

PowerCube
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2004, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by macbarry:
Good news - the MR314v2 ($30 with rebate) comes with the wireless access point set on as default and it's quite easy to turn off the DHCP server by simply following the Netgear's config software's link to the LAN IP settings. I'm now writting MacNN from the comfort of the couch for the first time ever:-) Thanks again for Tookie for your help.
Where did you find that router at that price? The best I could find was $60.00! I am looking for a wireless router/access point to expand my network to the other end of the house for non-computer related devices (VoIP ATA and Soundbridge music player) that need access to the network.
Somewhere out there is my sanity..... but I'm not looking for it!

Forum Links
Forum Rules