Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > burning an itunes aac audio file to cd without using itunes/unsupported burner

burning an itunes aac audio file to cd without using itunes/unsupported burner
kam e leon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2004, 09:23 AM

hi guys
please help just downloaded some aac files from the itunes music store and would like to burn them to cd only problem is my iomega burner is not supported by apple/itunes, have tried using toast 5 burns ok but it doesnt play on my cd player, I am currently running mac osx 10.2.8 is it possible that my iomega burner is now supported by osx 10.3.3........clutching at straws here tbh

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2004, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by kam e leon:
hi guys
please help just downloaded some aac files from the itunes music store and would like to burn them to cd only problem is my iomega burner is not supported by apple/itunes, have tried using toast 5 burns ok but it doesnt play on my cd player, I am currently running mac osx 10.2.8 is it possible that my iomega burner is now supported by osx 10.3.3........clutching at straws here tbh
Maybe Toast 6 would give you more luck.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 6, 2004, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by kam e leon:
hi guys
please help just downloaded some aac files from the itunes music store and would like to burn them to cd only problem is my iomega burner is not supported by apple/itunes
AAC files from the Apple Store are DRM-protected, and I don't think Toast would be able to decode them. Your only real choice for burning a CD with those I think is iTunes or using some sort of tool to remove the copy-protection (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm don't know at all what your version of Toast was burning, but you could try inserting the burned CD into your Mac and see if it's recognized.

EDIT: I forgot that you might find/make a hacked support file for your drive using these instructions at XLR8YourMac. Obviously you should only do this if you know what you're doing. You can check the database first to see if there's already a hacked support file for your drive.
( Last edited by Jacke; Jul 6, 2004 at 11:57 AM. )

macbarry
Jul 6, 2004, 11:57 AM

This is not pretty but it does work. If you import the AAC file into iMovie and then export from iMovie as an AIFF file you should then be able to use Toast 5 (get the OSX update for free from Roxio) to burn a regular audio CD.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2004, 12:06 PM

Some older and (newer high-end) CD players will only play CD-R's that are marked as "music" CD-R's. There is no real difference between the two, except for the fact that each music CD-R sold has a RIAA tax on it. Most cheaper CD players probably don't bother to check the disc, which is why data CD-R's will play in them.

Even if you have a CD-player that will play data CD-R's, some CD players like different types of CD-R's. Some of their lasers get finicky with different types of CD-R's.

More info can be had at www.cdrfaq.org

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2004, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by Jacke:
AAC files from the Apple Store are DRM-protected, and I don't think Toast would be able to decode them. Your only real choice for burning a CD with those I think is iTunes or using some sort of tool to remove the copy-protection (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
I'm pretty sure this is not true. Quicktime handles the DRM-lock, and Toast (at least version 6) can tunnel through Quicktime as long as you enter your iTMS password. Also: the DRM-removing programs, if I'm not mistaken, only work with Music Store downloads from before 4.6 (the in-store DRM was updated with the latest iTunes, whether you upgraded or not).
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 6, 2004, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
I'm pretty sure this is not true. Quicktime handles the DRM-lock, and Toast (at least version 6) can tunnel through Quicktime as long as you enter your iTMS password. Also: the DRM-removing programs, if I'm not mistaken, only work with Music Store downloads from before 4.6 (the in-store DRM was updated with the latest iTunes, whether you upgraded or not).
Thanks, I've never used iTMS so I wasn't sure how it worked.

Forum Links
Forum Rules