Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > DVDs made in Europe - playback in US?

DVDs made in Europe - playback in US?
macbarry
Jan 16, 2006, 12:01 PM

I have 2 DVDs sent to me from folks in Europe.

The original DVDS and simple, Toast made copies of them play fine in all computer DVD-Roms tried - no questions asked about region code changes.

The original and copied DVDs play on 1 out of 4 US purchased set top DVD players. The one machine that plays both DVDs is a cheap, 3yr old, made for the US market, NTSC, Akai branded purchased at Walmart.

Anyone have any ideas on what is going on here? I need to make duplicates of these DVDS that will play on all US DVD players. Thanks for any help.

dcp325
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2006, 12:11 PM

Because both DVDs play on the Akai, I would cocnlude that both DVDs are NTSC.
Maybe it has something to do with Regional Coding Enhancement (RCE).
IIRC the intention of RCE is preventing region 1 DVDs from playing on multi-region players.
Maybe check what regions the Akai can play?

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2006, 12:26 PM

Not all DVD players play friendly with certain DVD-Rs. That could be your issue.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

macbarry  (op)
Jan 16, 2006, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
Not all DVD players play friendly with certain DVD-Rs. That could be your issue.
I'm seeing the same set-top problem playback issues using blank Verbatim DVD-R copies of these European DVDs and not having machine playback issues with other DVDs copied using the same Verbatim DVD-R lot number.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2006, 01:48 PM

If you're copying them on your computer it's a simple matter to find out if they are PAL, and if your other 3 DVD players support PAL. PAL has a pixel height of 576 and a framerate of 25.

macbarry  (op)
Jan 17, 2006, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton
If you're copying them on your computer it's a simple matter to find out if they are PAL, and if your other 3 DVD players support PAL.
The DVDs were made in Europe but the content is NTSC.

This phenomenon has me (and apparently MacNN?) completely stumped. If anyone has any other ideas please let me know...

Forum Links
Forum Rules