Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > How do I get a color printer to default to print only black and white?

How do I get a color printer to default to print only black and white?
macbarry
Feb 8, 2006, 04:15 PM

I've got a group of students who are using an HP 2600n color laser printer to do everyday printing and they are wearing out the $174 image drum in 5-6000 printed pages by always printing in color when 99% of the time they just need black and white.

To save on the life of the image drum I have asked them to request greyscale when the print dialogue box appears each time prior to printing a document. Most do this but a few always seem to "forget". My question to the MacNN experts is - is there any way to set the printer - or their Macs (they're all running OSX:-) to default print greyscale?

Thanks for any ideas

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 8, 2006, 05:28 PM

Open the print dialog. Choose "Standard" from the Presets menu. Set the settings you want. Choose Save from the Presets menu.

And then go and buy a B&W laser for B&W printing. It'll be faster and cheaper in the long run. And more reliable.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules