Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New Airport Extreme Base Station??

New Airport Extreme Base Station??
mattshepherd
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2006, 05:50 PM

Is apple planning a new airport extreme base station? With the introduction of iTV I was doubting a new base station that we could stream video to. But I was looking at the apple store today and airport extreme base stations are not shipping until mid november. I wonder if this means we still might see a base station we can stream video too. I can't see demand driving the ship time on the product that far off.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2006, 05:51 PM

got a link?
Signature depreciated.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2006, 06:03 PM

I think Apple store links die after a while. You could take 5 seconds and look it up yourself. Or look at this.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2006, 06:07 PM

That's really odd. So Apple does not announce anything, but is just not gonna supply new AE for 2 months. Weird.

-t

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Sep 18, 2006, 06:11 PM

The current model is so dated and overpriced it isn't even funny.

"Hello, what have we here?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2006, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
The current model is so dated and overpriced it isn't even funny.
True. But why would Apple announce that way that something new was coming. Did they ever do it before ?

-t

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2006, 06:13 PM

802.11n

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Sep 18, 2006, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck
True. But why would Apple announce that way that something new was coming. Did they ever do it before ?

-t

Well that store just lists the current model shipping in november so perhaps they are out of stock or there are a ton of other reasons they haven't announced the new one yet.

"Hello, what have we here?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 18, 2006, 06:17 PM

The reason for the delay, as reported in the news, is that the AirPort products (as well as iSight cameras) were not compliant with the new Restriction of Hazardous Substances directive in Europe, which among other things requires electronics to be made without lead or environmentally hazardous flame retardants, both of which were present in the products in question.

Presumably Apple is ramping up production of new RoHS-compliant versions of AirPort and iSight products, that's all.

tooki

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2006, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
The reason for the delay, as reported in the news, is that the AirPort products (as well as iSight cameras) were not compliant with the new Restriction of Hazardous Substances directive in Europe, which among other things requires electronics to be made without lead or environmentally hazardous flame retardants, both of which were present in the products in question.

Presumably Apple is ramping up production of new RoHS-compliant versions of AirPort and iSight products, that's all.

tooki
Would that really explain why they aren't selling in the US though? Why not dump all the non-RoHS-compliant hardware they must still have in stock on the markets where they can?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2006, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
Would that really explain why they aren't selling in the US though? Why not dump all the non-RoHS-compliant hardware they must still have in stock on the markets where they can?
That's right.

The old iSight was not available in Europe for many months, but still available in the US.

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 18, 2006, 07:12 PM

Matt, crossposting is bad. You waited almost 40 minutes between posting in the Peripherals forum (the wrong forum, I might add) and posting here...What's your hurry?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mattshepherd  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2006, 07:21 PM

I just realized that i posted in the wrong forum and corrected it. there is no way to move your post to a new forum is there? you can delete the other if you want.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 18, 2006, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by mattshepherd
I just realized that i posted in the wrong forum and corrected it. there is no way to move your post to a new forum is there? you can delete the other if you want.
Unless it's had a bunch of responses, consider it done.

If you accidentally post in the wrong forum in the future, edit your post to show you noticed the mistake-we'll take care of deleting it for you.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 19, 2006, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
They DID do that, and they probably simply ran out now. AirPort gear remained available here for months after it was removed from European stores.

I certainly understand them not making more of the non-compliant gear.

tooki

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2006, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
They DID do that, and they probably simply ran out now. AirPort gear remained available here for months after it was removed from European stores.

I certainly understand them not making more of the non-compliant gear.

tooki
Ah, I hadn't realized that they hadn't been available in Europe for a while already.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2006, 06:43 PM

AirPort Extreme and iSight are illegal to sell in Europe since July 1.

Forum Links
Forum Rules