Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > 5G iPod will not turn off or sleep

5G iPod will not turn off or sleep
macbarry
Sep 27, 2006, 12:16 PM

I've just purchased my first iPod - a new 30GB 5G video but it refuses to turn off or sleep. I've read that in addition to resetting I can "restore" the iPod. I've performed a reset (several times) with no luck and would like to try a restore - but I cannot for the life of me locate the restore button which is supposed to be located in the "settings tab of the main iTunes window".

When I plug in the iPod (firmware 1.1.2) it shows up in the source window of iTunes (vs6.0.5) and I can see the iPod "options" in the iTunes preferences but where is the restore button?? This is driving me crazy...any help greatly appreciated.

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2006, 12:45 PM

You need to update to iTunes 7.0.1. The iPod Restore function is built into that. I'm not sure if Apple still releases the iPod Updater Utility as a standalone program as it used to during the iTunes 6.0.5 time, so you need to update iTunes first.

macbarry  (op)
Oct 9, 2006, 12:30 PM

There was a stand alone iPod updater with the elusive restore capabilities quite hidden away in the Library folder - but it didn't help. When I updated iTunes to 7.0.1 and the iPod software to 1.2 and then restored the iPod (x2) it still would not shut off. The defective iPod is now on it's way to Apple for them to fix.

Forum Links
Forum Rules