Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Wired/Wireless Networking Advise

Wired/Wireless Networking Advise
blythe
Nov 12, 2007, 08:05 PM

Can anyone tell me of a cheap way I can get my old mirrored door G4 connected to my network? Here's what my network looks like.

In Room A, I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless 4 port router connected to my cable modem and my Dual G5 2.0 GHz (no airport). I also have a MacBook Pro that I use throughout the house wirelessly. Now, I have an old G4 Mirrored Drive Door Dual 1.25 Ghz without an airport card that I want to put in Room B and connect to the network. I don't want to run Cat 5 cable between rooms or share my MacBook Pro's connection with the G4 through an ethernet cable, and I'd rather not use a powerline solution, as I'm looking for something cheaper. Does anyone have any suggestions?
blythe

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2007, 09:38 PM

$34 PCI wifi card... it ain't gonna get cheaper/easier than that.
( Last edited by mduell; Nov 12, 2007 at 09:46 PM. )

blythe  (op)
Nov 12, 2007, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
$34 PCI wifi card... it ain't gonna get cheaper/easier than that.
That's a great suggestion, but would you happen know if the card works with Leopard? Upon checking out the website, the card is supported with "Mac OS® X v10.2.6 with AirPort® installer 3.0.4, or Mac OS® X v10.3". Would the AirPort® installer being referred to be the AirPort Utility in Leopard?
blythe

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2007, 05:50 PM

Should work with Leopard since it worked with previous versions of OS X... Belkin is a pretty Mac-friendly company, and it appears they may have just used the same chipset that Apple used for the AirPort cards.
AirPort Installer sounds like some driver package that Apple put out for 10.2 to add support for 802.11(g) cards.

Forum Links
Forum Rules