Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Can't launch Real video from browser

Can't launch Real video from browser
DominikHoffmann
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2003, 01:22 PM

When I go to various sites that offer video content streams in Real format, most notably <www.whitehouse.gov> and the Fox News Channel, my browser (Internet Explorer) won't open the content. It says,

You do not have the plug-in need to view the "audio/x-pn-realaudio" type information on this page. To get this plug-in now, click View Plug-in Page.

I have version 9.0 of RealOne Player installed, which, according to MacUpdate is the latest version. Internet Explorer is set to handle that MIME type with the RealOne Player application.

It's not that I can't play the content. If I look at the source of a page with content, I can find the URL for the stream and open the stream with RealOne directly. I just can't have it happen automatically by clicking on a link representing streamed content.

Any ideas? Is this common on the Mac OS X platform? Do I have some misconfiguration?

grobbins
Apr 5, 2003, 02:24 PM

I just tried playing back some Fox News videos using RealOne Player's web browser plug-in inside IE 5.2.2 and had no difficulty. The whitehouse.gov links also downloaded and played fine.

RealOne Player tries to install its browser plug-in each time the player application runs. Look inside /Library/Internet Plugins to verify that the RealPlayer Plugin alias is present (or, if your account does not have admin priveleges on the computer, look inside your home directory, ~/Library/Plugins.) Also try the Check Media Types item in RealOne Player's Help menu to verify that the system's internet configuration is correctly set up.

Another quick fix is to try resetting the player. To do that, hold down control and shift while launching the RealOne Player application; the player should present a dialog offering to reset its installation.

DominikHoffmann  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2003, 02:30 AM

Resetting the RealOne player did the trick. Thank you very much for the tip!

Dominik Hoffmann

Synotic
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2003, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by DominikHoffmann:
Resetting the RealOne player did the trick. Thank you very much for the tip!

Dominik Hoffmann
You may have left the thread... But you should check out Safari. It's much faster than IE and a lot stabler. And the Safari team is working on fixing any compatibility issues. (It works with Real)

DominikHoffmann  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2003, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by Synotic:
You may have left the thread... But you should check out Safari. It's much faster than IE and a lot stabler. And the Safari team is working on fixing any compatibility issues. (It works with Real)
I was planning on using Safari, as soon as it gets out of beta. -- Dominik

Forum Links
Forum Rules