Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > How do I play Avi?

How do I play Avi?
Nachohat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2001, 01:11 PM

What do I have to download so that I can play .avi with Quicktime? do I need another player like MediaPlayer ?

GreenMnM
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2001, 03:28 PM

It depends on which version of QuickTime you're using. QuickTime can play AVIs, the problem is that some AVIs are compressed using different versions of the codec so sometimes QuickTime can't play all off them.

If you have QuickTime 4, you can download extra codecs that re not included with the regular download. Check out: http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n30506

It's not clear about QuickTime 5, the specifications say "AVI" but don't specify any of those codecs. http://www.apple.com/quicktime/specifications.html

To make a long story short, you SHOULD be able to play AVIs with Quicktime.

-Doug

Cator
Apr 29, 2001, 06:00 PM

QT should be able to play (some) AVI files. However in the Windows world there are a lot of different codecs added to the AVI system. One of them is DivX. This codec is used in files that still have the AVi extension, but are different from the regular AVI. Even Windows cannot play these "out of the box". Search DivX in Versiontracker for a MAc Player, MS Mediaplayer 6.3 (not 7) needed! HTH

Castor
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2001, 06:01 PM

QT should be able to play (some) AVI files. However in the Windows world there are a lot of different codecs added to the AVI system. One of them is DivX. This codec is used in files that still have the AVi extension, but are different from the regular AVI. Even Windows cannot play these "out of the box". Search DivX in Versiontracker for a MAc Player, MS Mediaplayer 6.3 (not 7) needed! HTH

Cipher13
Apr 30, 2001, 05:04 AM

Get all of the Indeo codecs from http://asu.info.apple.com - all of them. The numbers don't denote versions, so don't just get the highest number.

The player you want is at: http://mac.divx.st

Cipher13

------------------
AIM: Cipher1387
mail: [email protected]

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2001, 07:58 AM

Try to download this:
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/developr/drg/Multimedia/Jumpstart/VfW11-Mac/vfw11.sit
and put the "Windows Compressors" in your Extensions folder.

Nachohat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2001, 12:33 PM

thank you all for your help! I didn't know it had to be this complicated just to play a ''supported'' format!

Nachohat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2001, 03:22 PM

One more thing. Sometimes I can download avi files with the download manager from IE, but usually it tries to load a window with the Quicktime player, and then it says that it doesn't have the right plugins and that it can't find it on the Apple servers. Is there any way to bipass this? How can I save these files to my desktop? I tried dragging them and I tried using the menu on the lower left of the Quicktime player but the save option is grayed out. thanx.

lucylawless
Mac Elite
Location: adrift in a sea of decadent luxury and meaningless sex
May 5, 2001, 04:54 PM

If you right-click (or control-click, or click and hold) on the link to the file, you should get a pop-up menu. Select "download link to disk"
blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. the X makes it sound cool

mindwaves
May 6, 2001, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by Nachohat:
One more thing. Sometimes I can download avi files with the download manager from IE, but usually it tries to load a window with the Quicktime player, and then it says that it doesn't have the right plugins and that it can't find it on the Apple servers. Is there any way to bipass this? How can I save these files to my desktop? I tried dragging them and I tried using the menu on the lower left of the Quicktime player but the save option is grayed out. thanx.
You have to have quicktime pro to do that, or you can just wait until the movie loads and then search your cache for the file.

Dogma
Mac Elite
May 6, 2001, 05:13 PM

If you view the HTML (command-E) source of the web page the URL reference to the movie should be there (usually ending in .MOV). Simply copy this URL, open the download manager, double click a prviously downloaded file, rename it something appropriately, and paste the URL in the Address box, hit reload, and it should download with no problems.

Note: this also works for 'embedded' movies - the ones with no control bar!

------------------
"If you can't stand the flames, get out of the bulletin board!"
Hark, I hear a robin sig'ing in the trees!
Nae, there is no sog to be sug,
or am I wrog? Why can't I sig?

Forum Links
Forum Rules