Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Macromedia Director MX 2004 (What do you do with it?)

Macromedia Director MX 2004 (What do you do with it?)
Beewee
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2004, 10:29 AM

Could some one explain to me what exactly are the benefits of using Director MX? I'm taking a 2D animation and game creation class at my college and this is the program we have to use.

I understand that it uses Lingo (a programming language) but our instructor is having us create animations completely in Director!
The paint function is something akin to Microsoft Paint!
It can import in many different formats (except vector objects). Oh it can import flash, the movies not the files or objects.

I have used the other Macromedia Apps (Freehand, and Flash) and love them like my children. But I look at Director as an abomination...
Anyone else macromedia savey? Can you explain to me in plain english why Director is supposed to be so great?

AWShuttleworth
Sep 10, 2004, 03:49 PM

It's ridiculous that you're being asked to create animations in Director. Director is not an animation program.

The purpose of Director is to easily create single-use applications that can be easily distributed; r�sum�s or promotional pieces, for example. Ever get one of those annoying CDs that takes over your screen with black and displays a crippled box of content much smaller than your screen? Ever see an application with the "Made with Macromedia" logo? That's Director.

You're not liking Director for two reasons - it's annoyingly designed, and designed for something completely different from how you're having to use it.
Hi. Nice to see you. You look lovely.

Forum Links
Forum Rules