Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > how long do you save your magazines?

how long do you save your magazines?
John F. Smith
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2004, 03:04 AM

how long do you save your magazines, and what do you do with the ones you want to hang on to?

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 03:07 AM

you need a life

Mrs. D4n.
Aug 16, 2004, 03:09 AM

I save mine until you decide to create another pointless thread, which is about 5 minutes, and then I roll them up and bonk you over the head with them.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2004, 03:17 AM

I don't own any magazines. Not even XXX. (Thanx U internet!)

killer_735
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2004, 10:03 AM

Till they start falling off the back of the toilet tank.
"Leave it. Leave it, it's fine. It's fine. I WILL DESTROY YOU!" -Morbo

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2004, 10:07 AM

ill hold onto national geographic forever... past that though, its anybodys guess.

badidea
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2004, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
ill hold onto national geographic forever... past that though, its anybodys guess.
second that...except that it's GEO, a german magazine similar to NG...have it since 14 years now...

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 16, 2004, 10:20 AM

I used to save pretty much anything. I'd pretty much save all my issues of Rolling Stone, Wired, Wizard, and any issue of Time or other weekly that had an article or picture that I wanted to save.

Lately though, I've actually been going through all those old magazines, realizing how friggin' stupid I was being. Went through six years worth of Wireds: kept about 7 issues. Same with the others. The only ones I'd keep were the bigger issues that had things I know I'd read again. As for the magazines with only one article or pic, I've been scanning those. Even at a high resolution they've all been able to fit on to one DVD.

So I'm happy now. Basically gone from three or four full shelves of magazines to about half a shelf, and even that's shrinking.

Oh, and the best magazine that I'll keep every issue of: Cinefex.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 10:38 AM

Never. I scan and archive all of my issues of Black Tail, then put the originals in those comic book plastic things for storage.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2004, 12:36 PM

Like others the National Geographic that I own plan to keep forever. Some of the other magazines a year or two.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by badidea:
second that...except that it's GEO, a german magazine similar to NG...have it since 14 years now...
Isn't GEO french ? I'm used to reading the French GEO anyway.

I'll also hold on to my National Geographics, I inherited a bunch of them. And I even have Nat Geos from the 60ies ! With the moon landing. I've got a collection from the 60ies to now the latest one about Fat . I also hold on to my Car magazines, AutoGids, L'automobile, Auto Motor und Sport and Car (and a few other I buy from time to time). 4 Languages, 4 magazines.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2004, 03:21 PM

between 0 and 100 years...

-t

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 16, 2004, 04:15 PM

I keep them all for about a year, then will keep the ones I know I'll enjoy uncovering years down the road. Like the Duke Nukem Forever PC Gamer fron 1997, the PC World with the look at an early Windows 95 beta, and so on. Wired, I came across one from 1997 spelling the doom of Apple. For the most part, I agreed with it, but thankfully Jobs came back and turned things around.
<This space under renovation>

Krypton
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by John F. Smith:
how long do you save your magazines, and what do you do with the ones you want to hang on to?
I kept one issue of MacFormat because it had something I contributed in it, which although lame, was enough for me to want to cherish it

storer
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 07:04 PM

i keep them until they fall apart after hours of reading over and over.... so about 4-5 years

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2004, 07:16 PM

Depends if Rickey is in the magazine or not...

Forum Links
Forum Rules