Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > CBS stations fined for Superbowl exposure

CBS stations fined for Superbowl exposure
Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2004, 11:33 PM

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Pop singer Janet Jackson's bare breast flash earlier this year will result in a record $550,000 fine for 20 CBS television stations, U.S. Federal Communications Commission officials said Tuesday.
haha.. a wooping $550,000

Detail

so MTV is safe for this case?

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2004, 11:56 PM

Strange.

Just out of curiosity do any US networks broadcast the Sopranos uncensored? I just saw that CTV (canada) is broadcasting the new season uncensored. The regulatory board wasn't letting anything slide but lately I've seen so much uncensored nudity on canadian tv... even BEFORE 10.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2004, 12:14 AM

Typical feel good response from the FCC and hypocrisy from "family" organizations calling for action. The average child sees thousands of people killed, more thousands beat up, mutilated, tortured, and whatever, by the time they're ten, yet a quick flash of a woman's boob is a disgrace! What a joke.
( Last edited by OldManMac; Sep 8, 2004 at 01:03 AM. )
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 8, 2004, 12:47 AM

Oh my god! A boobie! *tee hee*

Seriously, these parents need to look at what else is on TV. Children are exposed to violence, drugs, and that god-awful Paris Hilton show all the time. They are also exposed to all kinds of sexual innuendo, etc. But god forbid if the shows don't just talk about sex but *gasp* briefly show an organ that has been deemed "sexual."

Also, what kind of dumbass parent has their kid watch the Superbowl - big, (mostly) stupid guys jumping on each other - but freaks out when something that will warp the child's mind less is broadcast.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2004, 02:41 AM

Originally posted by KarlG:
Typical feel good response from the FCC and hypocrisy from "family" organizations calling for action. The average child sees thousands of people killed, more thousands beat up, mutilated, tortured, and whatever, by the time they're ten, yet a quick flash of a woman's boob is a disgrace! What a joke.
Please. Michael Powell is doing everything he can to make it look like the FCC is doing something without actually doing anything. The man has no interest in regulating content on broadcast television and radio.

The FCC just fined twenty CBS affiliates (albeit affiliates owned by CBS) and did nothing to the other (read: vast majority of) CBS affiliates.

While $550,000 is a lot of money, it adds up to $27,500 per station; they can afford that. If the FCC were serious, it would have fined every CBS affiliate $550,000 each.

Since the Super Bowl incident, the FCC has taken an unknown shock jock off the air, gone after Clear Channel for The Howard Stern Show - both of which are big names but have little financial stake in each other - and has gone after a few incidents that aren't likely to happen again.

And no, The Sopranos is not censored in the United States. It's on cable, an area where FCC content regulations only apply to children's programming... barely.

Not that the FCC regulates content on broadcast television and radio much to begin with. Most censorship comes from the local stations, networks, and syndicators themselves in order to avoid complaints from viewers/listeners and sponsors.
( Last edited by BasketofPuppies; Sep 8, 2004 at 03:06 AM. )
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2004, 02:43 AM

Originally posted by hyperb0le:
Also, what kind of dumbass parent has their kid watch the Superbowl - big, (mostly) stupid guys jumping on each other - but freaks out when something that will warp the child's mind less is broadcast.
You're kidding, right?

The Super Bowl, and football in general, is family programming.

Last I checked kids play football at school and there are children's football leagues.

Cipher13
Sep 8, 2004, 02:52 AM

Originally posted by BasketofPuppies:
You're kidding, right?

The Super Bowl, and football in general, is family programming.

Last I checked kids play football at school and there are children's football leagues.
Heh, and yet, things that you possess yourself, and have been in contact with since BIRTH, are taboo?

Get real.

This is disgusting.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2004, 03:09 AM

I'm rather concerned about the generations of teens today trying to cope with an identity of their own, not to be turned on by "packaged" personalities that come from mainstream commercial media, aka, MTV. It depresses me to see kids flock to Limp Bizkit as a source for true "rebellion". Mark Crispin Miller puts it: "So there's often a kind of official and systematic rebelliousness that's reflected in media products pitched at kids. It's part of the official rock video worldview. It's part of the official advertising worldview that your parents are creeps, teachers are nerds and idiots, authority figures are laughable, nobody can really understand kids except the corporate sponsor. That huge authority has, interestingly enough, emerged as the sort of tacit superhero of consumer culture. That's the coolest entity of all, and yet they are very busily selling the illusion that they are there to liberate the youth, to let them be free, to let them be themselves, to let them think different, and so on. But it's really just an enormous sales job."

Sorry to be off topic, it just bugs the **** out of me! (BTW, the rest of the above text from MCM can be read here. )

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2004, 03:23 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Heh, and yet, things that you possess yourself, and have been in contact with since BIRTH, are taboo?

Get real.

This is disgusting.
Again, it's the FCC trying to appear to its critics that it's doing something without actually doing anything. Michael Powell is going after broadcasters in ways that get a lot of press coverages but don't really change anything.

The Super Bowl incident caused a lot of complaints, but it isn't (and wasn't) likely to happen again. The FCC is effectively telling a small number of CBS affiliates Don't do this again when they never were.

Same thing goes for the time Bono said the f-word at the American Music Awards - does anyone actually watch the American Music Awards? (Never mind that Michael Powell previously said that it wasn't indecent.) Again, high profile incident, but not likely to happen again.

It also explains why the FCC is going after Clear Channel for Howard Stern and not Infinity Broadcasting, which owns The Howard Stern Show and, unlike Clear Channel, has a major financial stake in it.

John F. Smith
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2004, 10:36 PM

but CBS is the evil conservative institution that deserves to be taken down

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2004, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by demograph68:
I'm rather concerned about the generations of teens today trying to cope with an identity of their own, not to be turned on by "packaged" personalities that come from mainstream commercial media, aka, MTV. It depresses me to see kids flock to Limp Bizkit as a source for true "rebellion". Mark Crispin Miller puts it: "So there's often a kind of official and systematic rebelliousness that's reflected in media products pitched at kids. It's part of the official rock video worldview. It's part of the official advertising worldview that your parents are creeps, teachers are nerds and idiots, authority figures are laughable, nobody can really understand kids except the corporate sponsor. That huge authority has, interestingly enough, emerged as the sort of tacit superhero of consumer culture. That's the coolest entity of all, and yet they are very busily selling the illusion that they are there to liberate the youth, to let them be free, to let them be themselves, to let them think different, and so on. But it's really just an enormous sales job."

Sorry to be off topic, it just bugs the **** out of me! (BTW, the rest of the above text from MCM can be read here. )

Frankly, this problem would be solved if the NFL were to drop the stupid music entertainment, AND JUST SHOW FOOTBALL. I didn't tune into the SuperBowl to see any of that trash! I'm still pissed that the season opens tomorrow with musical guest ELTON JOHN! While I have nothing against him, and actually like soome of his music, he has no business being involved! JUST PLAY THE DARN GAME ALREADY!

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2004, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by BasketofPuppies:
Please. Michael Powell is doing everything he can to make it look like the FCC is doing something without actually doing anything. The man has no interest in regulating content on broadcast television and radio.

The FCC just fined twenty CBS affiliates (albeit affiliates owned by CBS) and did nothing to the other (read: vast majority of) CBS affiliates.

While $550,000 is a lot of money, it adds up to $27,500 per station; they can afford that. If the FCC were serious, it would have fined every CBS affiliate $550,000 each.

Since the Super Bowl incident, the FCC has taken an unknown shock jock off the air, gone after Clear Channel for The Howard Stern Show - both of which are big names but have little financial stake in each other - and has gone after a few incidents that aren't likely to happen again.

And no, The Sopranos is not censored in the United States. It's on cable, an area where FCC content regulations only apply to children's programming... barely.

Not that the FCC regulates content on broadcast television and radio much to begin with. Most censorship comes from the local stations, networks, and syndicators themselves in order to avoid complaints from viewers/listeners and sponsors.
What do you think I said? A "feel good" response is what this was. He's trying to show that he's doing something to get people off his back. I know he's not going to do anything else. I was pointing out the hypocrisy of it.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Forum Links
Forum Rules