Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > God Hates Us All (Grammy?)

God Hates Us All (Grammy?)
MinivanH8R
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2002, 12:18 PM

For those in the know, the legendary metal outfit Slayer have been nominated for a Grammy this year. The song is called "Disciple" off of their latest album, "God Hates Us All." I'm just wondering, who actually thinks Slayer will win? Who thanks Slayer CAN win (with such an "evil" album title like that)?

Here's the other nominees, taken from www.grammy.com:

Best Metal Performance
For solo vocals, or Duos/Groups with vocals. Singles or
Tracks only.

1. The Wizard
Black Sabbath
Track from: Ozzfest 2001 The Second Millennium
[Epic Records/Divine Recordings]

2. Disciple
Slayer
Track from: God Hates Us All
[American/Island/Def Jam Music Group]

3. Left Behind
Slipknot
Track from: Iowa
[Roadrunner Records]

4. Chop Suey!
System Of A Down
Track from: Toxicity
[American/Sony Music Entertainment]

5. Schism
Tool
Track from: Lateralus
[Tool Dissectional/Volcano Entertainment]

I personally think one of these other crap fad bands will win. Also, I'm actually hoping that Slayer WON'T win, but that's just me.

If you haven't heard the cd, it's great. Sure, it's not like Seasons/Reign in Blood, but it's still Slayer all the way if you ask me. I listened to the new cd for 2 weeks straight after it came out.

BTW, no, I'm not a Satanist, I'm not an atheist. I'm just wondering if it's actually possible for the corporate a$$holes of the music industry to allow a band to win such a high award for an album that's pure hatred towards religion in every way?

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 27, 2002, 12:20 PM

Can you really call Ozzy Osbourne a fad band?
Crap, maybe, but he's been crappy with Black Sabbath since the seventies. If he were really a fad, he'd have been long forgotten by now.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

MinivanH8R  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2002, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by vmarks:
<STRONG>Can you really call Ozzy Osbourne a fad band?
Crap, maybe, but he's been crappy with Black Sabbath since the seventies. If he were really a fad, he'd have been long forgotten by now.</STRONG>
Sorry, I was gonna go back in and add "except ozzy" but I got excited and forgot.

Ozzy is cool, it would be great if he won.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2002, 12:30 PM

Talking about Grammys... did you know Apple is receiving a technical grammy for it's contribution to music.

Yaaaah Apple.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

MinivanH8R  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2002, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by Leonard:
<STRONG>Talking about Grammys... did you know Apple is receiving a technical grammy for it's contribution to music.

Yaaaah Apple.</STRONG>
Yeah that's cool...Slayer and Apple are the only reason I'm going to watch the Grammy's this year. Quite the combination, eh? Haha!

anarkisst
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2002, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by Leonard:
<STRONG>Talking about Grammys... did you know Apple is receiving a technical grammy for it's contribution to music.

Yaaaah Apple.</STRONG>
Yeah!

Here's more info on that.

As for the topic...except for Apple's award...couldn't give a damn who else wins. They all suck...well, maybe Tool...

Arty50
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2002, 12:59 PM

The Grammies are an effin' joke.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

glycer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2002, 04:07 PM

is the Apple award gonna be on TV? or is it on of those "also presented earlier awards"?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2002, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by glycer:
<STRONG>is the Apple award gonna be on TV? or is it on of those "also presented earlier awards"?</STRONG>
I wish! I doubt it will be on TV. But, I haven't seen anything saying whether it will or won't be televised.

It would be nice if they demoed the actual use of a Mac in a musical way in one of the performances or something...
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
Feb 27, 2002, 08:25 PM

This really makes me laugh. It sure tells me that I'm getting older. I remember in the mid 80's when bands like Slayer, Celtic Frost, Mercyful Fate, Venom and others were still considerred "Black Metal/Death Metal", and you had to be extremely "evil/satanic" to listen to "those" bands (or at least that's the label people put on it).

Even bands like Metallica, Megadeth and Anthrax were still considerred "underground metal". More mainstream but still "hard" stuff was Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Ozzy, Dio, AC/DC, etc., etc. Of course classic stuff like Zeppelin, Sabbath, Tull, RUSH, Yes, etc., etc was pretty "universally accepted".

Back then, you'd have to have been smoking crack laced angel dust to even nominate Ozzy Osbourne for a "Grammy". Nowadays (decades later depending on the artist/band) it's "acceptable", I just think it's funny as hell. I'm just waiting for the day I venture into some big department store in some Mall and hear the elevator muzak version of "Angel of Death" by Slayer, or something.

All I can say is hopefully the fame doesn't go to thier heads. I don't think all bands would sell-out, but some do &lt;cough-METALLICA-cough&gt;.

Mike

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: MikeM32 ]

MinivanH8R  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2002, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by MikeM32:
<STRONG>This really makes me laugh. It sure tells me that I'm getting older. I remember in the mid 80's when bands like Slayer, Celtic Frost, Mercyful Fate, Venom and others were still considerred "Black Metal/Death Metal", and you had to be extremely "evil/satanic" to listen to "those" bands (or at least that's the label people put on it).

Even bands like Metallica, Megadeth and Anthrax were still considerred "underground metal". More mainstream but still "hard" stuff was Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Ozzy, Dio, AC/DC, etc., etc. Of course classic stuff like Zeppelin, Sabbath, Tull, RUSH, Yes, etc., etc was pretty "universally accepted".

Back then, you'd have to have been smoking crack laced angel dust to even nominate Ozzy Osbourne for a "Grammy". Nowadays (decades later depending on the artist/band) it's "acceptable", I just think it's funny as hell. I'm just waiting for the day I venture into some big department store in some Mall and hear the elevator muzak version of "Angel of Death" by Slayer, or something.

All I can say is hopefully the fame doesn't go to thier heads. I don't think all bands would sell-out, but some do &lt;cough-METALLICA-cough&gt;.

Mike

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: MikeM32 ]</STRONG>
My thoughts exactly!!

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2002, 10:41 PM

The boys of TOOL do it again! TOOL WINS! They announce all the hard rock and metal awards before the show. Check the website, it has been know that TOOL won for quite a while now . . .

-Crazy Johnson (OGT - http://toolnews.cjb.net)

Originally posted by MinivanH8R:
<STRONG>
5. Schism
Tool
Track from: Lateralus
[Tool Dissectional/Volcano Entertainment]
</STRONG>
Change your world and you will change your mind.

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 28, 2002, 12:43 PM

Danny and Justin:

[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: crazyjohnson ]
Change your world and you will change your mind.

Forum Links
Forum Rules