Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.4.3 Update? / Airport Printing

10.4.3 Update? / Airport Printing
TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2005, 10:13 AM

Does anyone know if this is nearing completion? I really want to use Tiger but, without the ability to print wirelessly I am pretty much stuck in Panther. Also, I really really hope they fixed the menu item selection lag.

My main problem is the printing with airport... what a great feature but, it's too bad my Canon Pixma 5000 chokes when I try to print via airport. (works fine when connected with USB).

Barry
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2005, 10:32 AM

The Rumor Mill is saying latger Sept/early October for 10.4.3, but I wouldn't wait. 10.4.2 is a very useable OS.
Sounds more like an airport software problem than a Tiger problem.

have you upgraded the airport firmware to the latest version (version 5.6) ??

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2005, 11:09 AM

I have everything upgraded to the latest and greatest... I checked everything possible. I really hope 10.4.3 fixes this... I'm crossing my fingers.

USNA91
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2005, 12:13 PM

Whoa!

Are you saying that Tiger 10.4.2 doesn't support wireless printing via AirPort?

I just set up my new home office, and specifically set it up to use my AirPort to print!

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2005, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by USNA91
Whoa!

Are you saying that Tiger 10.4.2 doesn't support wireless printing via AirPort?

I just set up my new home office, and specifically set it up to use my AirPort to print!
No, no, no... I'm not saying Tiger doesn't support wireless printing via Airport.

What I'm saying is... my particular printer or my configuration isn't cooperating with 10.4.2 very well and it's a major headache because I like to print photos on my beautiful photo printer but, it will get half way through the photo and stop. It will not start again on it's own... to get it to come out I have to stop the printer and delete the job thus wasting an expensive piece of paper and ink.

USNA91
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2005, 01:38 PM

Ah!

My apologies....

RTFT!

NateEssex
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2005, 10:54 PM

My printer doesn't work well with my AE either. I have an HP 5510 and almost always jobs get hung up and the printer freezes in the middle of a page. Then, when I connect the USB wire directly to my PB, it works fine

Ideas?
MBP 15" 2.33 ghz 256Video Card
40 Gig iPod, Airport Extreme

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2005, 04:17 AM

I was having all kinds of problems printing wireless in 10.4.0 - but now it works flawlessy again since 10.4.1. Canon i905. Just FYI.

steve626
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2005, 12:17 PM

I use a Belkin Wireless G router and and my daughter prints wirelessly through it from her iMac G5 running 10.4.2 to a Canon iP5000 printer, same as the original poster's printer. However the printer is connected via USB to another older iMac and printer sharing is turned on for that Mac, thus sharing that printer wirelessly via the router to the iMac G5.

If you have another Mac around, try connecting it directly to the printer and try printer sharing and see if the other computer can then print wirelessly. That might help you narrow down what is causing the problem (sounds like the problem might lie somewhere in the Airport unit or the way it is configured). But based on what my daughter does, I would say 10.4.2 does support wireless printing, at least via printer sharing with another computer on the network.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2005, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by steve626
I use a Belkin Wireless G router and and my daughter prints wirelessly through it from her iMac G5 running 10.4.2 to a Canon iP5000 printer, same as the original poster's printer. However the printer is connected via USB to another older iMac and printer sharing is turned on for that Mac, thus sharing that printer wirelessly via the router to the iMac G5.

If you have another Mac around, try connecting it directly to the printer and try printer sharing and see if the other computer can then print wirelessly. That might help you narrow down what is causing the problem (sounds like the problem might lie somewhere in the Airport unit or the way it is configured). But based on what my daughter does, I would say 10.4.2 does support wireless printing, at least via printer sharing with another computer on the network.
I realize that 10.4.0 and greater does indeed support wireless printing. I'm just disappointed that I can't use the same setup that I have in Panther. Why would I have to upgrade and connect it to another Mac just to print wirelessly. That would be a hassle anyways because I don't want my printer in a different room in the house and there's no room near the iMac to connect it to. Besides... my brother uses my iMac and I don't want him messing with my printer in any way. So yeah, I'm staying in Panther for the time being... I'll wait and see how 10.4.3 works out. Like I said before... it's not affecting everyone... people have different hardware and software configurations than me... but, Tiger should be able to see right through that and still work.

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2005, 04:27 PM

I am one of many people (see apple discussions) who can no longer print wirelessly via airport after installing Tiger. Both my macs have the same problem. Everything is fine on simple text documents but photos almost always stop part of the way through printing and never restart.

BTW I have a Canon i865 and none of the upgrades have so far fixed it and neither did a clean install.
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2005, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Pither
I am one of many people (see apple discussions) who can no longer print wirelessly via airport after installing Tiger. Both my macs have the same problem. Everything is fine on simple text documents but photos almost always stop part of the way through printing and never restart.

BTW I have a Canon i865 and none of the upgrades have so far fixed it and neither did a clean install.
Wow, so I'm not the only one. That's a pretty significant bug don't you think?

USNA91
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2005, 09:41 PM

Well, I'm very disappointed to discover that unless a printer is designed to be used in a wireless environment, that it's not reliable over an Airport.

I bought an HP PSC 1510 yesterday, and their tech support informed me of this. I'm very upset.

So, can someone set me straight if I'm totally wrong, please? In my case, the AirPort detected the printer, but nothing happened when I hit the print icon.

I'd much rather go wireless if at all possible. Thanks.

steve626
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2005, 10:23 PM

In my earlier suggestion to try printing via another computer with printer sharing ... that was not a suggestion to use that setup permanently, it was suggested more in the spirit of troubleshooting. For instance, if that works, it would imply that the Canon printer drivers are up to date (are they?) and in fact would point to the Airport setup (or hardware) as being the problem. Sometimes a setup works with Panther but requires some tweak to work with Tiger. I agree, however, that it should be fairly seamless when going from Panther to Tiger for this type of simple functionality (wireless printing) to work.

Here's another thing to try: if you have an external firewire drive and a spare partition, try doing a clean install of Tiger on that drive and then try to print wirelessly after booting from that simple system (with nothing else installed). That would help you determine if you had something installed in your existing system that doesn't upgrade in a simple way to Tiger or is somehow incompatible.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2005, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by steve626
In my earlier suggestion to try printing via another computer with printer sharing ... that was not a suggestion to use that setup permanently, it was suggested more in the spirit of troubleshooting. For instance, if that works, it would imply that the Canon printer drivers are up to date (are they?) and in fact would point to the Airport setup (or hardware) as being the problem. Sometimes a setup works with Panther but requires some tweak to work with Tiger. I agree, however, that it should be fairly seamless when going from Panther to Tiger for this type of simple functionality (wireless printing) to work.

Here's another thing to try: if you have an external firewire drive and a spare partition, try doing a clean install of Tiger on that drive and then try to print wirelessly after booting from that simple system (with nothing else installed). That would help you determine if you had something installed in your existing system that doesn't upgrade in a simple way to Tiger or is somehow incompatible.
I've already tried erase and install and clean install and upgrade install numerous times. Nothing seems to fix this. I have a feeling this is something that Apple needs to fix. By the way... to hook a USB Printer to your Airport is perfectly fine. Airport was designed to do this... it should work with ANY USB Printer that is compatible with Mac OS X.

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2005, 03:31 PM

Regarding the Canon printer drivers for my i865, the only driver availiable from Canon is 2.3.2 which is the one that it came with a year or so ago. Unfortunately as a search on the apple forums will confirm something in Tiger broke wireless printer with certain printers. Why or what I cannot immagine. Many people such as my self have carried out clean reinstalls of tiger, deleted and reinstalled the printer drivers and deleted and reinstalled the printer but nothing works. On my powerbook I have tried two clean installs while on my iMac I didn't bother with a clean install (just an update over the top) and it broke it just the same.

It's not that something else is wrong with the system because when I installed Tiger on the pb it broke it immediately while my iMac carried on printing without problems for over a month until I updated it to Tiger, this then broke it as well.
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2005, 04:06 PM

FWIW, my over four year-old Epson Stylus Color 880i works perfectly over airport for me in 10.4.2.

steve626
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2005, 02:32 PM

Back to the original poster with the iP5000 Canon printing issue -- if you have not already done so (I suspect you have, but this is just in case), make sure you have the latest Canon iP5000 printer driver. I just dowloaded it (I think it is version 2.91) and the print utility menu does seem to look different than before. It looks to me like it has additional options than previously under 10.4.2. I don't know if this is relevant to your issues, however. There was also a Airport Update recently that might be relevant -- since you mentioned doing clean installs and the like, you presumably have updated all your Airport related software so I doubt that will help you.

USNA91
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2005, 05:49 PM

Well, I forked over some cash for a new HP all-in-one last night, and supposedly it's designed for network use, so I reckon I'll find out tonoght if the blessed thing will actually work.

Keep your fingers crossed!

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2005, 11:58 PM

The printer doesn't have to be designed for network use. If it has USB you should be able to share it with Airport... that's why Apple included that feature... I wish Tiger also included that feature... this is one of the main reasons I got airport... NO WIRES!

playby
Sep 23, 2005, 11:35 AM

same thing happens with the canon i9900. (tested on four different macs) text is fine but images hang without fail! thing is, this problem happened with panther too! so i'm feeling rather pessimistic about the possibility of it ever being fixed.

aks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2005, 11:48 PM

I'm here looking for the solution to the same problem. The printer is an HP 5150 on an Airport Station. It used to work fine. The problem started sometime towards the end of Panther or start of Tiger. A partial print results for photos. Regular printing works fine as long as the print job is sent right after turning the printer on (It does not matter if the printer is not set to auto off.). The printer hangs after a few print jobs. The work-around is to stop the print job in the Print Center, power cycle the printer and then restart the print job in the Print Center. Somewhere on line I saw a post describing the problem as being related to an obscure timeout setting in OS X. The post told how to change the setting. Now I'm looking for that post again and came to this spot.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2005, 02:13 PM

I can't wait to be disappointed in 10.4.3 update... weee! I'm always disappointed. By the way, I did submit these problems as bug reports.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2005, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by TheSpaz
I can't wait to be disappointed in 10.4.3 update... weee! I'm always disappointed. By the way, I did submit these problems as bug reports.
You wont be disappointed with the 10.4.3 update, because this update wont even work with panther that you told us you had gone back to using only a week or 2 ago.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

u2mr2os2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2005, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by aks
The problem started sometime towards the end of Panther or start of Tiger.
I agree, this started with one of the last 10.3 updates, and I hoped Tiger wold fix it, but it has not. Direct USB printing is fine. I have a Canon s500 and am not glad to see it is not just my printer because I wouldn't be able to solve it by getting a different one apparently. My workaround is to set the printer up with the CUPS driver for the BJC-8200, and set the resolution to 600x600 since the 1200x1200 doesn't work and the 300x300 default is awful. It would not let me set up the Canon BJ driver using the HP Jet Direct connection that I used for the CUPS driver, but I did try the CUPS driver over the Bonjour connection, and that worked fine, so it is not a Bonjour issue it seems.

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2005, 08:07 AM

I also started having problems using an Airport Express with 10.3.something, though I thought it was just me. So I just started using an old Pismo to Print Serve. Since it also provides support for multiple printers, that proved better for me.
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

ogun
Oct 11, 2005, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by u2mr2os2
I agree, this started with one of the last 10.3 updates, and I hoped Tiger wold fix it, but it has not. Direct USB printing is fine. I have a Canon s500 and am not glad to see it is not just my printer because I wouldn't be able to solve it by getting a different one apparently. My workaround is to set the printer up with the CUPS driver for the BJC-8200, and set the resolution to 600x600 since the 1200x1200 doesn't work and the 300x300 default is awful. It would not let me set up the Canon BJ driver using the HP Jet Direct connection that I used for the CUPS driver, but I did try the CUPS driver over the Bonjour connection, and that worked fine, so it is not a Bonjour issue it seems.
I don't think that this is an Apple bug. I don't think it's an Apple bug precisely because GIMP-Print works. (And so do certain other printer drivers, notably those from Brother.) I think that the problem lies with HP, Epson, and Canon and their refusal to to write printer drivers which are fully compliant with CUPS. At home I have several Macs and Windows machines, and several inkjets attached directly to computers and a Brother laser directly on the network. Some of the computers connect wirelessly. I can print, without problems, to the Brother from any machine. I can print, without problems, to any shared inkjet, from any Windows machine (wired or not) or from any Mac connected using wires. I can print, without problems, to shared inkjets from wireless Macs... if I use GIMP-Print but not if I use the drivers which came out of the box with the printer or even the latest drivers from the vendor site. This is consistent across the board with printers from HP and Epson; I don't have Canons at home. It'd be a damn funny Apple bug which doesn't affect 3rd-party general-purpose printer drivers (such as GIMP-Print) and some printer vendors, and which doesn't affect _some_ laser printers from certain vendors but which _does_ affect each and every inkjet (that I've tried, anyway) from the same vendors.

I suspect that if you wait for Apple to fix this problem you'll be waiting a very long time indeed. Just my opinion.

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2005, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by ogun
I suspect that if you wait for Apple to fix this problem you'll be waiting a very long time indeed. Just my opinion.
I also think we will be waiting a long time to have Apple fix this. It seems clear however from the number of people with this problem (see Apple discussions) that something Apple did broke the Airport printing on certain printers in certain conditions. As I said before I had no problems for over a year. When I then changed over first one computer and then the second to Tiger they started both having this problem.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2005, 11:59 PM

Does anyone know if this is nearing completion? I really want to use Tiger but, without the ability to print wirelessly I am pretty much stuck in Panther. Also, I really really hope they fixed the menu item selection lag.

My main problem is the printing with airport... what a great feature but, it's too bad my Canon Pixma 5000 chokes when I try to print via airport. (works fine when connected with USB).
Sorry I'm coming late to the thread, but I have a Canon Pixma iP5000 connected to an Airport Extreme base station, and I can print from three Macs (a G5, a PBG4 and an iMac G5, all running Tiger) and a Windows XP box without any problems at all - all via Bonjour thru the Airport base station. Even the Windows machine with Bonjour for Windows installed discovered the printer right away. I do have one other Mac (1.4GHz G4 Gigabit) on the network as well, but I've actually never printed anything from that machine.

The iMac G5 and the PowerBook are connected wirelessly (via Airport Express), the PC is hardwired (gigabit ethernet thru a gigabit switch) and the G5 is at present hardwired as well (thru same gigabit switch), but also worked just fine via Airport, too (upgraded the rest of the network to gigabit, so I stopped using the Airport on the G5).

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2005, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
Sorry I'm coming late to the thread, but I have a Canon Pixma iP5000 connected to an Airport Extreme base station, and I can print from three Macs (a G5, a PBG4 and an iMac G5, all running Tiger) and a Windows XP box without any problems at all - all via Bonjour thru the Airport base station. Even the Windows machine with Bonjour for Windows installed discovered the printer right away. I do have one other Mac (1.4GHz G4 Gigabit) on the network as well, but I've actually never printed anything from that machine.

The iMac G5 and the PowerBook are connected wirelessly (via Airport Express), the PC is hardwired (gigabit ethernet thru a gigabit switch) and the G5 is at present hardwired as well (thru same gigabit switch), but also worked just fine via Airport, too (upgraded the rest of the network to gigabit, so I stopped using the Airport on the G5).
I usually run into problems if I try to print a hi-res photograph. It will print half way through the photo and then choke. It just stops printing and the progress bar in the printer software just stays where it is.

I have sucessfully moved backward to Panther again and I have 0 (zero) problems print any type of photo at any resolution through Airport Extreme... so this leads me to believe either Canon's printer software has a bug and hasn't been fully updated for Tiger OR Apple changed something in Tiger that created a bug with CERTAIN printers and configurations.

I DO however believe Apple should fix this one. Printing is integrated into the OS.

In conclusion... all I know is that Tiger breaks my ability to print high quality photos on my awesome Canon iP5000 (Which I love... supreme quality).

On another note... some people said their problems started in 10.3.9 or so... but, I am running Panther 10.3.9 and I have no problems. The problem only starts after I upgrade.

I will not upgrade to Tiger until this is either fixed by Apple or Canon.... cause that totally defeats the purpose of having the USB port on the Airport Extreme and I already have 50 billion things connected to my PowerBook G4.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2005, 09:25 PM

I usually run into problems if I try to print a hi-res photograph. It will print half way through the photo and then choke. It just stops printing and the progress bar in the printer software just stays where it is.
I'm not doubting your problem, but I've not had any problems printing photos either.

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2005, 05:10 PM

I'd assume that with these news Macs coming out, 10.4.3 will be required for the dual core support, etc. So, we should see an update by the end of this month.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2005, 02:40 PM

Just an update... I re-installed Tiger last night... and I downloaded and installed Canon's latest Mac OS X drivers for the PIXMA printers and I've printed out text and photos and so far I haven't had it stop. I don't know if this is just a fluke or if it's fixed for good.

I had the latest and greatest drivers and stuff last time too... maybe I'm just getting lucky... I'll try printing some more to see if I can get it to stop again. Weird.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2005, 08:51 PM

Another update. I was printing some flyers for my Dad tonight... and after about the 3rd flyer... the printer choked again. And it choked twice more before I was done. GRRRR.

I don't get it. I have all the latest drivers and software updates and I did everything right.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 12:53 AM

The latest build is 8F45 and has no known issues among testers. Should be in software update soon.

http://haligon.blogspot.com/2005/10/...1043-8f45.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules