Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > TM TIME machine disk not ejected properly?

TM TIME machine disk not ejected properly?
kevs
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2019, 01:19 PM

I wake up in morning and I see 6 redundant messages that TM was not ejected properly. Yet it's there on desktop fine. Anyone know what this is?

andi*pandi
Jul 31, 2019, 01:45 PM

power fluctuation cutting power to the drive, effectively disconnecting it? playful cat? or the hard drive is going.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 31, 2019, 01:52 PM

Intermittent connection to the TM volume. It got disconnected 6 times, each time reconnecting and remounting.

How is your TM volume connected? Network, direct USB, TB, FireWire?

The drive itself could also be overheating, causing the HD to stop responding until it cools down.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2019, 01:55 PM

Andi, thanks, have no idea. Never see this nuisance before. Drive is mounted in morning and backup ok. Yet would be nice not to have 1/2 dozen badges on the desktop about this..

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 7, 2019, 09:05 PM

Check power to both your computer and your TM device. I have both my iMac and its external drive (its Time Machine drive) on an UPS for this very reason. Either the iMac or the external drive was too sensitive to power fluctuations, and I had that same sort of "not ejected properly" messages from time to time. I never bothered to read the logs to see if it was the computer or the drive - I just put both of them on an UPS.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2019, 10:11 PM

thanks GH, what is UPS, besides package carrier?

But the drive is mounted fine in morning, yet see 5 of these eject alerts.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 7, 2019, 10:38 PM

UPS = Uninterruptible Power Supply

It's a box (containing a battery & inverter) that plugs into the wall. You plug your computer and selected peripherals into the UPS. If the wall power vanishes, the UPS fills the gap instantly. Your computer doesn't crash, and you have a few minutes of battery power. Enough to ride through a flicker. Time enough to save your work & shut down, if it's a longer outage.

A bigger UPS has more battery power (and costs more). It can either maintain power longer, or handle more peripherals.

NewEgg UPS section

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2019, 10:44 PM

got it, but no one knows if that would solve issue correct?

reader50
Administrator
Aug 8, 2019, 12:39 AM

Death and Taxes are guaranteed. Other issues have to be fiddled with.

Try a basic $60 one. If it works, great. Even if it doesn't, you've eliminated a cause, and you're protected during the next power failure. A possible win, and a definite win.

I have one on my computer. And another on my modem & router. Because losing internet during a power failure is majorly annoying.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2019, 03:21 PM

thanks Reader, well, only happening every couple weeks. What else could this be? Is it odd though the hardrive of which always TM, says not ejected, yet always on the desktop ok?

Does that really sound like a power outage issue?

andi*pandi
Aug 8, 2019, 03:27 PM

Yes. Get the UPS and see if it improves, as Reader says, a UPS is a good idea anyhow.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2019, 03:34 PM

thanks, Do you have links/ recommendations?

reader50
Administrator
Aug 8, 2019, 06:49 PM

In order of decreasing power.

APC 675 VA (360W) $61
CyberPower 625 VA (360W) $52
APC 600 VA (330W) $59

I have a couple of the 3rd one, and have bigger CyberPower models. Had good luck with both brands. You do have to change the batteries every 3-6 years, but you can get replacements off eBay, direct from China. For a fraction of the price of a new unit.

Pay attention to the sockets on it you plug into. Some sockets have full battery backup, others are only surge-protected. The idea is your computer, monitor, TM backup, modem/router get the full backup. Other peripherals (printers, scanners, amps) don't need backup power during an outage. Preserving the backup power for just the essentials makes it last longer.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 8, 2019, 09:08 PM

I guess I'm a relic. I thought EVERYBODY knew what uninterruptible power supplies were... I've used them on everything since a lightning strike near my house killed a bunch of my electronics.

Anyway, APC is pretty much the leader in the consumer end of the UPS market. CyberPower is also a good brand. Server-grade units come from Tripp Lite.

Assuming the reason your TM drive "was not ejected properly" was because of power fluctuations, protecting the power input to your equipment should fix that issue. Using an UPS will also protect you from serious issues related to the power grid.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2019, 06:22 PM

Thanks guys, found this

https://www.amazon.com/APC-Battery-P...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

What is difference between 400, 600, 800 VA?

Also notice only side does the battery backup....

And if you have three externals hardrive and a computer you want all four of those on that correct?

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 9, 2019, 08:35 PM

Volt-Amps is the power capacity of the battery backed portion of the UPS. More is better.

Depending on which Mac you are using, and the power requirements of your external drives, you want enough capacity (in volt-amps) to run everything for at least a few minutes.

If you look at the 600VA option in your linked page, it has FIVE outlets marked "battery + surge" and two marked "surge." Typically 600VA is more than adequate for a high end iMac and lots of peripherals, so that's the device I'd suggest for you. That's also a good price for that unit.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2019, 12:56 AM

Thanks, will dive in and let you know how goes!

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2019, 08:42 PM

The Unit just arrived, but says in case of power outage, typical computer only get 67 min of time. Now that does not seem very useful. Being that I might on a computer three to 5 hours during a day... Am I understanding this correct? ie, if who knows, you had no power for the day.

And if outage started at 7am, and goes on for many hours, and you wake up at 8, you wont even get your 67 minutes..?

I've never owned on of these, most of you have? Have you ever needed it? I guess in my life actually, I have seen power go out many times and then it just goes back on pretty soon (apartment ). Rare I was on the computer at that moment.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 5, 2019, 08:51 PM

67 minutes sounds like a maximum under minimal load. With the computer sleeping. Unless you buy a big UPS, typical run times are 5-15 minutes.

If it's a power flicker, or only a couple minutes, it gets you through without interruption. If it's a longer outage, the UPS allows you to save your work and shut down properly.

If you really want 8+ hours of backup power, buy a generator. Or a large (and expensive) UPS with auxiliary batteries.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2019, 09:25 PM

thanks Reader, "If you really want 8+ hours

Well I did not want anything, but in short, I just thought mistakenly these last long time.. So just for what you describe.

But it could solve the issue of the original post, so I'll test it for that.

Have it ever saved you from big loss? I would imagine that would be very rare, maybe once in lifetime.. I save text every few minutes when on word, excel, photoshop etc

But still hour better than nothing! And you are saying it could save issue at night...

reader50
Administrator
Sep 5, 2019, 10:51 PM

We have reliable power here - only 1-2 dropouts per year. Half the time, it's when some car hits a pole. But flickers are common when there are thunderstorms within 30 miles. My UPSes make the computer keep working fine - and most power interruptions only last up to 10 seconds.

It hasn't saved important data (yet), but we did have a long outage once. Turns out internet addiction is a thing. I drained my first UPS. Then switched to the laptop, drained the next couple UPSes in the house. Then drained the laptop's own battery. After that, things got difficult. I never got to the shakes, but it was bad. Bought a backup generator a few days later.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2019, 11:01 PM

Reader wow, how long was the outage? How much did generator cost.. but they real large. I'm in an apartment, you keep it in garage right?

When drain UPS, you are talking 1/2 hour or?

Flickers, those are what you think may be causing the original issue with the Time Machine.. wake up and 4 eject notices on desktop?

reader50
Administrator
Sep 5, 2019, 11:10 PM

Flickers can cause the TM issue, if it causes the external TM drive to drop out. Then remount. A small UPS will fix that.

A smallish UPS like the ones we recommended can handle a laptop for a half hour. It will power a desktop only 5-15 minutes, depending on how heavy a load you're running. ie - 3x big monitors usually require more power than one smaller monitor.

The big outage was something like 10 hours. Someone hit a pole, but it was the wrong pole to hit. That one handled several sets of lines crossing above each other. Took the Edison crew that long to redo everything.

I got a 4000W generator from Harbor Freight on a sale, around $270 if memory serves. About $30 more for the wheel kit. Have yet to need it. For an apartment person, you'd have to run it outside your front door, or on your balcony if you have one. Outdoor use only. Or you could consider a solar generator, which is a car-size battery and folding solar panels. Solar generators can be used indoors, but they're far weaker than gas generators.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2019, 11:13 PM

10 hours… yeah I would go to Starbucks no?

Generator, where would go in apartment with limited space? crazy, you have a garage/ house correct?

Ok will test flicker stuff. thanks!

andi*pandi
Sep 6, 2019, 08:18 AM

generators cannot go indoors or you'll get carbon monoxide poisoning. I wouldn't even put in the garage.

solar sounds a better choice!

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2019, 03:28 PM

Bad customer service APC, but will delete frustration, not worth anyones time.
( Last edited by kevs; Sep 7, 2019 at 01:22 PM. )

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2019, 01:21 PM

Reader/ GH, first night with APC, morning notice that TM not ejected properly. ONe, sometimes 4 of them.

Still computer and TM were plugged into the APC.. green power light on... battery was attached.

So maybe something else or something with APC?

reader50
Administrator
Sep 7, 2019, 03:05 PM

Some UPC sockets are fully battery-backed-up. 2-3 sockets will only have surge protection. The surge-only sockets are for printers, etc - things you don't need during a power failure.

Assuming both computer and TM drive were plugged into the battery-backed-up sockets, that eliminates power flickers as a cause.

This suggests it's either the USB cable, or (more likely) a drive issue. Either it's overheating briefly during long runs, or it's becoming unreliable in general. Try switching to another USB cable. If that doesn't do it, time to shop for a new drive. Unless you're willing to put up with the dialogs.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2019, 03:26 PM

thanks Reader will do.

I can put up with it....

Also, not sure, the database got screwed up so I only search in TM now via the finder. (does not work searching with the time machine method, only finder now) but that does work, backups are in the finder...... but this would not cause eject issues would it?

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2019, 04:25 PM

Update from this morning:

https://postimg.cc/HcMyrMkX

Never seen so many, usually 1-4.

What is this? And why does this only show in morning, never during the 12 hours I"m awake doing work at home?

I have tested cable and plugged the hardrive into an APC backup- neither solved it.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 2, 2019, 06:58 PM

I've seen that happen after sleep, when a USB drive is plugged into a port on a 3rd party card.

I'm assuming your computer sleeps at night. What port is the TM drive plugged into? A native port on your Mac, or a port on a thunderbolt dock, or on a PCIe card?

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2019, 10:45 PM

Reader, sometimes I sleep computer and sometimes just sleep display. That round I slept the computer. And it is plugged into a 10 port normal USB hub.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 3, 2019, 02:36 AM

Is your Mac set to wake on network access? Sys Prefs -> Energy Saver -> [x] Wake for network access

In general, have you noticed your Mac waking up a lot overnight? If I get out of bed and walk by with a static charge, my Mac often wakes for a minute. Without lighting up the displays. Then realizes it's a false alarm, and goes back to sleep.

Try plugging the TM drive into your Mac directly for one night. See if the messages go away. If they do -- you can go back to the usual hookup, and safely ignore the error messages in the mornings.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2019, 02:59 AM

Thanks Reader, yes that is checked, I never go there so I assume that default?

If fact, I do see badges appearing on the black screen in upper right at night quite a bit.

What is wake for network access mean? Can I safely uncheck it?

(PS I safely ignore the messages, since I"ve been posting about this. I assume this is all harmless. I post only because this badges are visual and mouse tedious nuisance to dismiss)

If it's ok to uncheck that preference ( Of which I have no idea it's benefit having checked), then maybe that will solve the nuisance..

reader50
Administrator
Oct 3, 2019, 04:00 AM

It's for file sharing on your LAN. Allows other computers in the house to reach your computer, even if asleep. If your Mac provides Time Machine services for other computers in the house, then the checkbox allows other Macs to back up at any time. Go ahead and uncheck - it may reduce the insomnia episodes, which would reduce the messages.

If this is the cause of the messages (insomnia + external drive served via a hub that powers down during sleep) then the messages are safe to ignore. It would be caused by the external drive taking too long to power back up when the computer wakes. Error msg followed by the drive finishing the power-up and mounting.

Assuming this is the cause, it's harmless because your Mac flushes all drive caches to disk when entering sleep. Drives are left in a complete state.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2019, 11:59 AM

Ok reader sad news, in morning the computer was awake. Have no idea what awakes it, and there was just one TM eject message -- better than 2-10.

I think unchecking that is nice though, I think unchecking that gets rid of those badges. So let's see continues. IF you have any other ideas let me know!

slicer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2019, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
67 minutes sounds like a maximum under minimal load. With the computer sleeping. Unless you buy a big UPS, typical run times are 5-15 minutes.

If it's a power flicker, or only a couple minutes, it gets you through without interruption. If it's a longer outage, the UPS allows you to save your work and shut down properly.

If you really want 8+ hours of backup power, buy a generator. Or a large (and expensive) UPS with auxiliary batteries.
What about this one? https://www.amazon.com/SUAOKI-Statio...3881960&sr=8-1

Probably not exactly. But the same. Especially suitable for California.

Forum Links
Forum Rules