Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Flaky screen on a original Ibook G4.

Flaky screen on a original Ibook G4.
travfar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2009, 11:49 PM

Hi. My Ibook G4 has developed a flaky screen. Sitting upright, the middle third of it is scrambled. But if I lean it back so that the screen is sitting down, then the screen is perfect. Even after I lift it back up it's fine until I shake it. So I'm thinking a cable or connector is loose. Any advice on what I should look for?

ibook_steve
Jun 22, 2009, 01:34 AM

Just what you guessed: the cable or connector need to be checked. Hopefully it's just a loose cable, not a frayed cable from the hinges.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2009, 05:58 AM

If you are up to doing it yourself, visit iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories for guides to taking your Mac apart and for parts.

travfar  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2009, 11:50 PM

So I took the bottom off and checked the cables. They look good. I think it's the LCD but it's weird. I noticed that if I squeeze the left side of the LCD, it will fix it up to a point. Here's the weird part. When I reboot the machine, it looks fine. After a minute the middle of the LCD is messed up. I squeeze the LCD and it's fixed. After another minute the middle is messed up again even with the squeezing. This makes me think that it's heating up and something is lifting off a pad. But if I reboot, it's fine again and the pattern repeats. It can't be cooling down enough the few seconds the LCD is off for the reboot.

Update: It's really weird. I opened up the LCD and stuck some foam tape between the case and the LCD. The "squeezing" makes it stay good longer but it will still go bad after a couple of minutes. The thing is that I just bring up the System Preferences and change the resolution, it's fine again.
( Last edited by travfar; Jun 26, 2009 at 01:24 AM. )

travfar  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2009, 04:38 PM

It's crazy. I've timed it. The screen goes whacky exactly every 2 minutes. So I wrote a program to reset the screen every two minutes. I can live with a flicker every 2 minutes.

ChrisB
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2009, 04:53 PM

There's something fundamentally wrong. I know I'm stating the obvious. Get it to an Apple store. I bet you that the controller board might have issues, or that your cable may have an issue with it.
Chris Brown
Media, Brand, and IPTV Consultant

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2009, 11:53 PM

I just went through this last week with a Powermac G4. It was given to me because of the flaky display. Exact same symptoms -- squeeze the display on the left side, and it'd work for a little while ,then crazy lines in either 1/3 or 2/3's of the display. The top third was always good. The DVI-out worked fine with an external display, so I figured it wasn't the video card, & wiggling the cable didn't cause the problem, so I figured it was the panel. I found a replacement panel on ebay for $100.00 and that fixed 'er right up.

So I got me PB 1.67 for $100.00 and some labor.

It was a 3 hour operation on a Powerbook, but I think an iBook is significantly easier to get into. Definitely shop around for the panel -- some of the online laptop repair specialty sites are pretty proud of their spare parts. I got mine from an ebay seller called Mac Global. (Not shilling -- just happy shopper)

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules