Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Classic Freezing on Me Inexplicably

Classic Freezing on Me Inexplicably
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2005, 02:00 AM

Classic has just started freezing on me at startup on my G5, and the only way i can get it to start up is to start without extensions. That would suggest an extensions conflict, but when I opened up Extensions Manager and selected OS 9 All, it still froze. The only thing I have done in Classic that could possibly have altered it is to copy over and use WriteNow, since there were some old documents I needed to access. (WriteNow does not use any extensions.) I decided that perhaps Classic had gotten corrupted, so I started my iBook up in target disk mode and copied the system folder over to my G5 (the way I had originally gotten a system folder on my G5). It initially worked, but it then reverted to the same type of freeze. This makes me think that the problem may be with the OS X Classic support files. Before I get my G5's Extra Software CD out to do a virginal install of Classic, does anyone know why this could be happening?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2005, 07:17 AM

Well, it looks like a fresh install from the HT/ES CD stabilized Classic, although I have not tried going back into WriteNow to see how it handles it (for obvious reasons).

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules