Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > February 9: HP-Palm's WebOS Tablet

February 9: HP-Palm's WebOS Tablet (Page 11)
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2011, 11:03 PM

Yeah, I think it runs at 200MHz when the screen is off or not doing much, then it ramps up to 1.7GHz when it's active.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

P
Aug 28, 2011, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Can you show us the increased power consumption with your overclocked TouchPad? Myself, along with others over at Pre Central are seeing 15 extra mah of draw on the battery. It's negligible. I'm curious to hear from other overclockers. Which kernel are you using? Uber?
If you're asking me, I don't have a TouchPad. I was just interested in the answer. Generally power consumption of the chips increases linearly with the clockspeed, but obviously the CPU is a small part of the consumption. If the battery life is still good, I don't understand why they didn't put in at least the 1.5 GHz version.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2011, 06:16 PM

Well, the AT&T version was going to ship at 1.2 GHz.

freudling
Banned
Aug 28, 2011, 10:11 PM

You mean the AT&T version was going to ship at 1.5 Ghz. That's the advertising I saw.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 29, 2011, 04:10 PM

I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2011, 05:01 PM

I've decided that WebOS doesn't suck. It's okay as long as you have the horsepower to run it, which the Touchpad barely has if you run it @1.7GHz+.

It's not a bad experience at all, just quirky and in need of some more polish. I'll probably keep it on the TP and run a dual boot WebOS/CM7 setup. I ran around today using it with my car stereo and it was great, now I just need to find an elegant way of mounting the thing. I may check with the custom car audio guys in town.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2011, 09:58 PM

Does anybody have a Pre 2 and TouchPad?

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2011, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Good. Samsung makes good hardware but has always lacked in the software department. Their PCs are okay, and I imagine this will mean more marketshare for them in the end.

freudling
Banned
Aug 29, 2011, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I've decided that WebOS doesn't suck. It's okay as long as you have the horsepower to run it, which the Touchpad barely has if you run it @1.7GHz+.

It's not a bad experience at all, just quirky and in need of some more polish. I'll probably keep it on the TP and run a dual boot WebOS/CM7 setup. I ran around today using it with my car stereo and it was great, now I just need to find an elegant way of mounting the thing. I may check with the custom car audio guys in town.
Ya. The thing to understand is the potential of webOS. It's not using things like openGL for screen actions like iOS. IOS offloads more stuff to the GPU, giving it the buttery smooth feel. WebOS is coming along with hardware acceleration, it just needs more work.

The PDK they rolled out recently allows developers to create native Apps. So better performance. WebOS in the beginning didn't have that option.

Samsung could push this OS to its full potential. HP are a bunch of blowhards.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 30, 2011, 12:03 AM

And if Samsung winds up buying webOS, you'd be fully within your right to create a gloating thread.

Fingers crossed.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2011, 12:19 AM

HP never tries. They ran the iPAQ into the ground, too (the whole division, really). Idiots.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 30, 2011, 01:00 AM

Makes you wonder what Carly's actual plan for buying Compaq was, other than ruining their logo.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2011, 01:34 AM

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2011, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Wow, maybe they could learn how to properly use the company's acronym before writing an article.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2011, 10:42 AM

I thought the article was pretty spot-on.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2011, 11:07 AM

It is spot-on, I agree.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2011, 12:07 PM

Ouch.

If "Apple is doomed without Jobs", there are no words for the cluster**** that HP has become.

-t

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2011, 12:14 PM

I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2011, 01:21 PM

That's why HP is doomed. They are idiots.

Buying products from idiots is rarely a good "investment".

-t

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 30, 2011, 02:34 PM

Well. This just keeps getting weirder...

Despite announcing an end to manufacturing webOS hardware, we have decided to produce one last run of TouchPads to meet unfulfilled demand. We don’t know exactly when these units will be available or how many we’ll get, and we can’t promise we’ll have enough for everyone. We do know that it will be at least a few weeks before you can purchase. See more information in the updated FAQs below.
Bryna (@BrynaatHP) and I (@MarkatHP) will update you here and on Twitter on the status of the new batch of systems.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2011, 02:37 PM

MY guess is that they already had all of the expensive parts in warehouses and just needed to assemble them or they had some sort of contractual obligation to their manufacturers or something.

Part of me also wonders if they would have been better off taking 3 months to sell of the remaining stock at $199 then they were selling the remaining stock in a week at $99.

This is kind of a market disruption for all of the non-Apple tablets. A new low expectation has been set for value... and a lot of people who want a tablet but would never buy an Apple product or would never pay $500 bucks for one are now set for a while with their TouchPads.

This is probably not good for Samsung or Motorola. Apple I don't think cares one lick.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 30, 2011, 02:48 PM

Anybody wanna bet that this new crop of tablets being assembled post-price drop will, in one way or another, be of inferior quality to the initial batch?
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2011, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
MY guess is that they already had all of the expensive parts in warehouses and just needed to assemble them or they had some sort of contractual obligation to their manufacturers or something.

Part of me also wonders if they would have been better off taking 3 months to sell of the remaining stock at $199 then they were selling the remaining stock in a week at $99.

This is kind of a market disruption for all of the non-Apple tablets. A new low expectation has been set for value... and a lot of people who want a tablet but would never buy an Apple product or would never pay $500 bucks for one are now set for a while with their TouchPads.

This is probably not good for Samsung or Motorola. Apple I don't think cares one lick.
It's a mixed bag. I definitely agree that HP would have been better off financially by selling off the inventory at $199 since $99. But the company has been chronically mismanaged for a while, and they stumbled so hard on this one. They botched the launch, assuming people would buy into a full priced tablet from a company with shaky record, and then they botched the blow-out sale when they thought there was zero demand. Maybe they got some literal chimps in suits fresh out of B-School to manage the touchpad's roll-out.

I do think that the overall tablet market is debased in the short term to some degree by the $99 touchpad. It has changed some consumer expectations, and some will now be a little more resistant to paying full tablet prices. There's also speculation that Amazon is going to be pricing its tablet aggressively, which should be interesting. If the touchpad were permanently being stocked and sold at $99 it would rock the market, but the effects of the blowout are negated in large part because the $99 touchpad was snapped up by bargain hunters so quickly that most didn't get a chance to buy it at that price and never will. The notion of them getting more in is very curious, but I bet it will be a very limited run that most likely won't be priced at $99 unless HP becomes desperate to unlock stock once again.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2011, 03:29 PM

I considered this too. For non-iPad tablet manufacturers, this is like pulling the pin on a grenade in a crowded elevator. IMO, they've severely disrupted that market, probably for the next year. Just think of what this does to Google, as if things weren't bad enough for them. It's almost as if HP were doing Apple a favor. I know I'm not buying an Android tablet for a while now, even though I had previous planned on getting one. There's no point in it.
- Thomas Paine

freudling
Banned
Aug 30, 2011, 04:21 PM

Ya, all of what you guys are discussing has been beaten to death over at Pre Central. $99 is disruptive to non-iPad tablets. No question. It's the perspective of the consumer that has been changed. They want non-iPad tablets cheaper.

The speculation right now is this. HP made the decision to get out of the PC business, dragging webOS down with it. They fire-saled the hardware for a few reasons: 1. To disrupt the tablet market. They figured, well, if we weren't that successful, let's mess it up for others. 2. To give the next webOS taker a good, solid, running start. That they actually have someone lined up to take on webOS. They've even publicly stated that they've been in talks with potential partners, and from what's on Pre Central, interest has been shown for months. The money there're losing is chalked up to sales and marketing.

For a first gen product, the TP is pretty good. I can only imagine what a second revision could be like. With the right under the hood tweaking, webOS could be a major player. I don't think people have seen the last of it.

Android is in a lot of legal trouble right now. They've got Oracle and MS suing them, and everyone that sells Android devices will have to pay royalties, like they are now. It's just going to get more expensive because more people are suing Google over Android, and they have solid cases against it. And what is Android? It's a cheap Chinese knock off of iOS. If I'm going to use something besides iOS, it better be unique and different. WP7 and webOS are the only two modern contenders.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2011, 04:51 PM

From what I've read they are also violating a ton of open source Linux agreements and could get sued like crazy (and probably lose) should someone decide to do so.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/201...linux-gpl.html

Google is so funny with their "bogus patent" whining. Wah, we stole a bunch of stuff and give it away for free to undercut all of our competition and now they are mad. Wah, wah. What a bunch of meanies!

freudling
Banned
Aug 30, 2011, 05:00 PM

I almost forgot. I also have heard HP has contracts with parts suppliers and manufacturers. Essentially, they need to do a minimum run or pay for it in full. If the build of materials cost is $300, then by selling at $99 and $149, they would reduce their losses instead of having to just pay for this stuff directly to their suppliers.

From this, they'll save a minimum of 33% by selling to consumers at a loss instead of having to pay their suppliers in full.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2011, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Ya, all of what you guys are discussing has been beaten to death over at Pre Central. $99 is disruptive to non-iPad tablets. No question. It's the perspective of the consumer that has been changed. They want non-iPad tablets cheaper.

The speculation right now is this. HP made the decision to get out of the PC business, dragging webOS down with it. They fire-saled the hardware for a few reasons: 1. To disrupt the tablet market. They figured, well, if we weren't that successful, let's mess it up for others. 2. To give the next webOS taker a good, solid, running start.
From how they've handled things in the past year, I think it's obvious that neither is the case.

They completely ****ed up on the touchpad, and their intent was to get rid of whatever was clogging up what remained of their hardware business as quickly as possible, regardless of what it cost them (however much it was, it's probably almost negligible compared to what the whole webOS fiasco has/will cost them).

I think they were flummoxed that people actually wanted them, and this talk of possibly resurrecting them is just another twist of the knife they committed hara-kiri with.

Which potential buyer of the webOS branch is going to tolerate this kind of reckless about-face, which will result in the market getting flooded with hardware that undercuts anything they will be able to offer for some time?

Seriously?

You have to wonder how many bullets HP still have left, and why they're still twitching.

freudling
Banned
Aug 30, 2011, 05:01 PM

From what I've read they are also violating a ton of open source Linux agreements and could get sued like crazy (and probably lose) should someone decide to do so.

Android violates Linux license, experts claim

Google is so funny with their "bogus patent" whining. Wah, we stole a bunch of stuff and give it away for free to undercut all of our competition and now they are mad. Wah, wah. What a bunch of meanies!
Ya, screw Google. It's for these reasons and more that webOS could very much be alive. From my understanding, it's totally unique and well patented.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2011, 05:12 PM

You have to wonder how many bullets HP still have left, and why they're still twitching.
If they have any left, I'd recommend using it for their brains.

It's gonna improve their decision making ability.

-t

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 30, 2011, 05:16 PM

As much as I'm chomping at the bit to see webOS rise like a phoenix, I'm not letting it cloud reality for me; HP has absolutely no idea what it's doing; it's throwing itself around in a tantrum like an enormous, angry elephant and crushing a lot of shit beneath itself in the process.

Dumping the PC business is moronic. HP is not IBM 2005 - HP is its PC business. And any positive effect of the horrendous launch of the TouchPad, the overly confident pricing and subsequent botched firesale is now being latched onto by many as stuff that HP intended to see happen.

HP can barely decide what kinds of products it wants to be making next summer. They sure as hell aren't operating sharply enough to plan for and get anything as intricate as the positive aspects of the TouchPad fallout.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 30, 2011, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
If they have any left, I'd recommend using it for their brains.

It's gonna improve their decision making ability.

-t
You've been a real ray of sunshine lately.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2011, 05:19 PM

I think they were flummoxed that people actually wanted them, and this talk of possibly resurrecting them is just another twist of the knife they committed hara-kiri with.
I don't think people really wanted them, what they wanted was something like an iPad that was $100 bucks. It could have been anything.

That's not to say WebOS is crap, because it isn't. Just that people don't care.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2011, 05:53 PM

exactly.

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2011, 06:15 PM

When I sold cell phones we came out with a 10 dollar voice plans, when the previous voice plan in the area had been 20 dollars. We had a TON of people flock in and get them at that price. Incidentally in a few years all those people still had those plans, but kept coming in asking if anything cheaper was out, and if they could get a free iPhone on their 10 dollar plan.

You give bargain hunters a deal once, they'll never be willing to pay more than that. These people aren't going to buy a new tablet for years, and even if Web OS does get another owner, they're not gonna invest in that product either. They're gonna eventually go with whatever terrible Android product with a lousy screen someone else is selling at 100.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2011, 06:26 PM

LOL, that's the group of people that's gonna use a crappy product, and then pronounce that the tablet hype is unjustified.

-t

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2011, 08:01 PM

Except the Touchpad isn't a crappy product, and neither is WebOS. I know that some won't realize what a colossal value this is for $99, but the harsh reality for those customers and tablet makers will settle in at some point. Which is, after this fiasco, for a non-iOS tablet to sell well it's going to need to cost <$200, and for that price it better be decent. And right now, that's impossible.

HP has poisoned the well.
- Thomas Paine

freudling
Banned
Aug 30, 2011, 08:40 PM

As much as I'm chomping at the bit to see webOS rise like a phoenix, I'm not letting it cloud reality for me; HP has absolutely no idea what it's doing; it's throwing itself around in a tantrum like an enormous, angry elephant and crushing a lot of shit beneath itself in the process.

Dumping the PC business is moronic. HP is not IBM 2005 - HP is its PC business. And any positive effect of the horrendous launch of the TouchPad, the overly confident pricing and subsequent botched firesale is now being latched onto by many as stuff that HP intended to see happen.

HP can barely decide what kinds of products it wants to be making next summer. They sure as hell aren't operating sharply enough to plan for and get anything as intricate as the positive aspects of the TouchPad fallout.
True. Funny thing is, executives are saying all kinds of different things in the media. They really don't know what they're doing. As long as webOS makes it out unscathed, and evolves, I don't give a shit about HP anymore.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 30, 2011, 09:02 PM

I find it especially saddening too because in my eyes, HP was the 'last man standing' on the PC side. They are a genuinely innovative company, with a lot of talented employees. They're also a lot more bold than their competitors in the types of projects they pursue and products they release.

I blame every bit of this on Leo - HP under Hurd was one of the only consumer tech/computer companies aside from Apple that I actually looked up to. Amazing what can happen in one year with the wrong person(s) at the helm.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 31, 2011, 06:39 AM

HP took the wrong path when they bought Compaq and, rather than raising Compaq's standards they allowed their badged products to fall to Compaq's. HP still has a strong handle on the business printer market, they're still strong in non-consumer products like medical monitoring and scientific equipment, but they have lost track of their handle on consumer computer devices. Their latest home/small office printers aren't really aimed at consumers as much as making business printers workable and affordable to consumers.

They dug themselves a big, big hole, and Carly had no real chance to dig them out of it. I think it will be many years before they can possibly get back to being a home/small office computer powerhouse again. But then, Gateway was effectively dead for many years, and they've come back...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2011, 12:04 PM

Yeah, I think blaming Leo is very shortsighted. HP has been ailing for quite a while.

My company uses HP laptops, they are crap. CRAAAAAAP.
Seriously, now in retrospect, I actually like my Dells. I would have never thought I'd say that one day.

-t

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2011, 12:52 PM

Didn't Gateway get bought by Acer?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2011, 01:05 PM

As previous posted: HP to make more TouchPads.

WTF?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2011, 01:34 PM

Despite announcing an end to manufacturing webOS hardware, we have decided toproduce one last run of TouchPads to meet unfulfilled demand. We don’t know exactly when these units will be available or how many we’ll get, and we can’t promise we’ll have enough for everyone.
If they can't promise to have enough for everyone, then they are not doing it to "meet unfulfilled demand". How stupid does HP think people are?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2011, 03:44 PM

Pretty stupid. Just read this article.

Scammer sells woman a wooden iPad in parking lot | MacNN

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2011, 03:53 PM

LOL, but that wooden iPod is still better than a TouchPad

[flame_on]

-t

OreoCookie
Aug 31, 2011, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Yeah, I think blaming Leo is very shortsighted. HP has been ailing for quite a while.
I've heard Apotheker talk on All Things D and I thought he was a business exec who preferred conflated sentences rather than clear messages. I don't think he's the visionary that will lead HP to salvation.

While it's clear that the webOS involvement didn't happen on Apotheker's watch, it's still surprising he was elected to be the next CEO given his profile as a software guy. Given his experience as a software and services guy, it was pretty clear in what image the »New HP« is shaped after.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2011, 04:58 PM

What I meant was that Hurd and Fiorina did plenty of screwing up. Leo fits into this line of CEOs just fine.

-t

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 31, 2011, 05:03 PM

Uh. What screwing up did Hurd do? The man completely turned the company around during his tenure.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
But then, Gateway was effectively dead for many years, and they've come back...
They have? I haven't heard the name Gateway in years. I'm astonished to know they're still in business.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules