Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.3.6 out!

10.3.6 out! (Page 4)
Andrman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2004, 04:25 AM

Originally posted by Fusion:
Wow, I hope this was just me, but I just fired up software update and was in the middle of updating, and while browsing in the middle of the update, I got a kernal panic.

After rebooting, everything seems fine, and about this mac and about safari both show the update worked.

I am a little scared though.
Happened to me too My PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz won't go past the "Login Window Starting" section of boot up.

I'm going to go through the usual reset PRAM, open firmware, etc. and hope I get somewhere

terrymax
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2004, 04:56 AM

Originally posted by Fusion:

djp - thanks for coming into the discussion. It is a little more relieving to hear that it happened to someone else as well. Everything on my machine seems fine as well so far, so I'll just keep a close eye on everything.

Anyone else with the same kernal panic? [/B]

Yes, I got a kernel panic on 2 machines so it is not a concidence. I have a USB switch box to share one keyboard and trakball. It happened both times at exactly the moment I switched back to the machine being updated. Luckily the update had finished both times, but I wonder whar would have happend if I had switched during the update?

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 8, 2004, 08:18 AM

Well my rev. a 12" PB seems fine. I restarted as root, repaired permissions (well I ran Cocktail's Pilot actually), installed the update, restarted and did the permissions again and all is well. Both my firewire drives are working fine. (La Cie pocket drive 20gb and Smartdisk firelite).

I'm still not brave enough to install it on my G5 though

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2004, 08:44 AM

I'm having no problems with the 10.3.6 update.

I ran it on the replacement Ti PowerBook I'm currently using. Seeing that the update has different sizes depending on the hardware it's being run on, I'm wondering if I have to reinstall the update when I get my own PowerBook back. Of course I'll just put my HD (that's in the Ti now) back into my rev B 12", but should I run the updater again because of the change in hardware? And how should I do that? Just remove the 10.3.6 receipt and then re-run SU or is there a better way?

pipermalibu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2004, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by Andrman:
Happened to me too My PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz won't go past the "Login Window Starting" section of boot up.

I'm going to go through the usual reset PRAM, open firmware, etc. and hope I get somewhere

It took an OS reinstall and then update back to 10.3.6 for me when this same thing happened. My suggestion for any other users is to have another vanilla admin login and do updates from there. Some of the folks at Apple think that utilities that may be loaded at the time of update (ie. Konfabulator, Palm Hotsync, Launchbar, etc) can cause problems. It always seems to work with the vanilla login and of course a before and after permission check.

solbo
Nov 8, 2004, 11:01 AM

I had a similar thing happen long ago to an iBook after an update. It turned to have something to do with the USB drivers and it only happened when a mouse was plugged in and it only happened on my current users. New users were immune.

PBG4 User
Senior User
Nov 8, 2004, 11:37 AM

Installed on a G5 iMac & 1 year old AlBook. Both took the update fine w/o kernel panics or other weirdness so far.

Will try to connect (non-Osxford chipset IIRC) firewire400 HD & try DiabloII in full screen mode to see if I have either of these issues.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

videian28
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 11:51 AM

No issues to report, I'm anxious to try World of Warcraft after this update to see if performance has improved, although it's not that bad to begin with.
doesn't seem to be any change with my system

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by Simon:
I'm having no problems with the 10.3.6 update.

I ran it on the replacement Ti PowerBook I'm currently using. Seeing that the update has different sizes depending on the hardware it's being run on, I'm wondering if I have to reinstall the update when I get my own PowerBook back. Of course I'll just put my HD (that's in the Ti now) back into my rev B 12", but should I run the updater again because of the change in hardware? And how should I do that? Just remove the 10.3.6 receipt and then re-run SU or is there a better way?
Run the Combo update ?

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Nov 8, 2004, 12:12 PM

I'm curious as to why you would assume that people using Safari 1.3DP all got their copies in an illegal way. I got mine when I attended WWDC.

Sure you could argue that one should never install a DP version on a "production" system. But to a developer, this point is at best moot. You code on your machine, and you need the DP version to test things out/develop things with. Now is that a production system or not?

I hope Apple would at least have some support document in ADC, just to tell the affected developers how to remove the DP version if necessary. Now that's not too much to ask isn't it?

Originally posted by Person Man:
No.

People expect Apple to provide instructions on how to remove a developer preview that many of them probably shouldn't have in the first place (if they aren't registered developers with seed keys). They never intended the Developer Preview to be used on production machines, so why should people expect Apple to help them if they ignore Apple's intent and install it on their production machines?

In a sense, many people are making Apple out to be the bad guy, here.

I have a feeling that Apple isn't going to release Safari 1.3 because of the leak. I certainly hope I'm wrong, but I think that they are either holding off on releasing any more developer previews or they are now going to wait until Tiger to release their next larger-scale (non-bugfix) release.

At any rate, people have already posted their workarounds in this thread. (I'm surprised the moderators are letting those posts even exist since technically they are providing support for people using prerelease software which is against the rules in these forums).

lenox
Senior User
Nov 8, 2004, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by fortepianissimo:
I'm curious as to why you would assume that people using Safari 1.3DP all got their copies in an illegal way. I got mine when I attended WWDC.

Sure you could argue that one should never install a DP version on a "production" system. But to a developer, this point is at best moot. You code on your machine, and you need the DP version to test things out/develop things with. Now is that a production system or not?

I hope Apple would at least have some support document in ADC, just to tell the affected developers how to remove the DP version if necessary. Now that's not too much to ask isn't it?
It's called 'setting aside a partition for in-development code', and we (developers) do it all the time.

actually i am sure there's a shorter name for it, but i wanted to be crystal clear

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 12:54 PM

Thanks for saying what I too wanted to say about a "production" system. As a developer, I have used the seeds as my production system for well over two years now. Apple places emphasis on not using it in production to basically cover their @ss, so when data is lost, they cannot be blamed.

It can be difficult to track down or even produce a bug consistently without using a pre-release on a daily basis. However, that doesn't mean one doesn't have a backup OS and their data, just in case something goes horribly wrong.

To fix the Safari 1.3 DP issue, install 10.3 with archive and install, run the latest combo updater and you are back in business. I have found no other way.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2004, 01:57 PM

Well, as I said before, I have no way of knowing who got it legitimately or not. My comments are not aimed at you or anyone else who is a paying member of Apple's Developer Connection. The fact is, however, that the Developer Preview WAS leaked, and MANY non-developers are using it too. That's what has me upset. Those people who are not developers have absolutely no right to expect Apple to fix their problems.

I would comment on this, but lenox answered this prefectly, above.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2004, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
Apple places emphasis on not using it in production to basically cover their @ss, so when data is lost, they cannot be blamed.
Exactly.

The statement also applies to those non-developers who installed Safari DP 1.3 on their only copy of 10.3.x and then go crying to Apple when it breaks their 10.3.6 install. That's not Apple's problem.

It can be difficult to track down or even produce a bug consistently without using a pre-release on a daily basis. However, that doesn't mean one doesn't have a backup OS and their data, just in case something goes horribly wrong.
Yes, Developers working on programs intended for newer versions of Operating Systems must work in the prerelease environment on a daily basis, and people who keep good backups and a pristine copy of the current release are doing it properly and therefore have no need of removal instructions from Apple.

As I have said before, I have no problem with legitimate developers discussing the use or the removal of Safari 1.3 DP. However, I find it hard to believe that EVERYONE using these forums is a registered, paying Apple developer, and my comments are aimed at those who do not legally have the previews.

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2004, 07:59 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
I have never repaired permissions after an update.

Never.

I haven't had a problem since. I'm not sure how I would, either, since all that Repair Permissions does is set the permissions to match those in the package in /Library/Receipts, which they should anyway since you just installed from that package.

I have no idea why people keep insisting that you must repair permissions after an update.

BTW, I hope everyone remembered to sacrifice a live dogcow to the Voodoo God of Resource Forks after the install.
With many previous updates running diskutil repairPermissions / would find many many in need of repair. This time was better, I must admit. Also other party software installs seems to mess up permissions. I'm confused about how permissions get scrambled in the first place, but I assure you I've repaired, run OS updates, and then found more that needed fixing after the update.
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2004, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by Boondoggle:
With many previous updates running diskutil repairPermissions / would find many many in need of repair. This time was better, I must admit. Also other party software installs seems to mess up permissions. I'm confused about how permissions get scrambled in the first place, but I assure you I've repaired, run OS updates, and then found more that needed fixing after the update.
And did you actually have any problems with your system that were cured by doing so, or were you just performing a voodoo ritual?

If Repair Permissions changed some permissions when you ran it after installing something, that's probably just a result of two packages having differing opinions about what permissions a certain file or folder should have, and the one that was different than the one you installed either got read before or after the package just installed (depending on how RP is implemented). That doesn't necessarily mean that either is right or wrong, just different. IMO.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2004, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by Langdon:
Has anyone tried mounting with an external drive using USB 2.0?

I use both firewire and USB 2.0 external drives and while I am sure the firewire drive uses an Oxford chipset I am weary of losing the ability to mount the drive on the USB side.
I have an AMS Venus DS5 FireWire/USB enclosure with a Hitachi Deskstar drive inside. I've been running it on USB 2 mostly since I got it (need to buy a FireWire hub), and definitely both under 10.3.5 and 10.3.6. Works great that way. I'm really wary of switching it back to FireWire, though, even temporarily. I'm also not using my other enclosuere (FireWire only). iPod and iSight seem to behave normally on FireWire.

Anyway, the Venus has Oxford 911 chipset for FireWire but a different chipset entirely for USB (Cypress maybe?).

MY question is: Has anyone started a list of drives or enclosures that work and don't work under 10.3.6? Or is it less definitive than that? One drive will work with one Mac and not another, say? I'm fine for the time being (knew that USB 2 port on the enclosure would come in handy), but I'd eventually like the ability to use it with FireWire again without having to worry about my data disappearing.

PBG4 User
Senior User
Nov 12, 2004, 09:56 AM

You don't have to worry about your data disappearing, it's just a connection issue.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2004, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by PBG4 User:
You don't have to worry about your data disappearing, it's just a connection issue.
The previous poster is concerned about Firewire because some people are having problems with their Firewire drives again after updating to 10.3.6.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2004, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by PBG4 User:
I actually have read reports on MacFixIt about data loss due to the FireWire connectivity issues in 10.3.6. Haven't experienced it myself, but I purposefully haven't used my drives on FireWire since updating.

PBG4 User
Senior User
Nov 12, 2004, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
The previous poster is concerned about Firewire because some people are having problems with their Firewire drives again after updating to 10.3.6.
I know, but the problems are lack of connectivity, not wiping of data. That's what I meant.

I guess I'm lucky that my firewire drive still works *knocks on wood*.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 11:31 PM

Disk Permissions should be repaired immediately prior to and after any kind of software update, including applications. I don't know the reasons, but there are way less problems - pretty much zero for me - if that protocol is rigorously followed.

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2004, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by SierraDragon:
Disk Permissions should be repaired immediately prior to and after any kind of software update, including applications. I don't know the reasons, but there are way less problems - pretty much zero for me - if that protocol is rigorously followed.
Yeah, me too. And I've had zero problems with 10.3.6 so far. I'm just scared of the reports I've read of data loss (not just connectivity issues, though I'm sure they're related somehow).

I'll post a link if I can find one, but MacFixIt retires articles to a pay-only section after two days. Unfortunate.

LDCahan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2004, 01:05 AM

Originally posted by Chris Grande:
Is anyone else's calculator broken?
YES! It loads, but no window opens up--any ideas what to do?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2004, 03:53 AM

Originally posted by LDCahan:
Open the Console, then load Calculator. Sometimes this will yield clues about what's going on.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2004, 03:58 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Open the Console, then load Calculator. Sometimes this will yield clues about what's going on.
Or, if you allow me to use this opportunity to advertise my favorite utility, keep an eye on what your system is doing in general. MkConsole is free and lets you see the last entries of the log files you're interested in at any time. It's a simple and efficient way to monitor what your OS is up to 24/7.

wings_rfs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2004, 07:41 AM

My Disk Permissions story....

After installing 10.3.6 I noticed a few programs refusing to run (some Apple, some 3rd party). This was before repairing permissions. Ran Disk Utility to repair permissions, and it found and "fixed" nearly EVERY app in my Applications folder. I still had the same problem. After talking with Apple tech support, the thing that got me back running again was to boot from my 10.2.4 DVD and repair permissions from there. As of right now, every time I check permissions with Disk Utility that came with 10.3.6, it thinks nearly EVERYthing in my Apps folder needs fixin, and if I let it do it, I'm back to my original problem.

ymmv

Zav
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2004, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by SMacTech:

In fact, 1.3 hosed my cube at work and no version of Safari would work after that. My only recovery was an archive and install, combo up to 10.3.5 and work with the newest seeds. [/B]
10.3.6 killed my cube as it now dies at the loading login screen.
- Zav

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Nov 13, 2004, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by LDCahan:
Try to hit cmd-1 - I was using the hidden plugins before (the graphical one) and now they're all gone. Hitting cmd-1 will get you back to the basic mode. Also right click on the calculator icon, and deselect all those plugins you might have selected before (but leave the basic/adv. one).

ecrelin
Nov 13, 2004, 07:03 PM

My calculator is fine but I read in another forum that if you turn on the tape from the view menu the window pops right up. Some said it would stay up without the tape and others reported that it fixed it.

blah
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2004, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by Person Man:
Exactly.

The statement also applies to those non-developers who installed Safari DP 1.3 on their only copy of 10.3.x and then go crying to Apple when it breaks their 10.3.6 install. That's not Apple's problem.

As I have said before, I have no problem with legitimate developers discussing the use or the removal of Safari 1.3 DP. However, I find it hard to believe that EVERYONE using these forums is a registered, paying Apple developer, and my comments are aimed at those who do not legally have the previews.
Who has gone crying to apple? This is a forum -- people are allowed to ask for help, etc... Whether or not you believe people legally have a right to the previews is irrelevant, as you obviously can't tell them how to fix it anyway. Grow up and get a life. This is not the end of the world.

DeeKat
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2004, 11:40 PM

I ran the update a few hours ago on my 17" 1.5 Ghz PB. Repaired pemissions before and after install. Ran the installation with no other apps running and with my external Firewire drives disconnected (i take no chance as as work mainly with FCP the are my scratch disks). Reboot and everything is fine. RAID mounts immediatly with no problems.

DeeKat

Person Man
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2004, 11:58 PM

Originally posted by blah:
Who has gone crying to apple? This is a forum -- people are allowed to ask for help,
But they're not allowed to ask for help with prerelease software, per the forum rules.

leperkuhn
Senior User
Nov 17, 2004, 08:29 PM

Since installing the 10.3.6 update, the speakers connected to my computer emit a humming noise, even when the sound is muted on the computer. I've tried changing all the wiring and it hasn't helped. I've hooked the same wire up to my iPod and it doesn't make any noise.

dual g4 1ghz, MDD.

kiwibabe
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2004, 03:33 AM

So overall do you think its worth updating to 10.3.6? Have the majority of people had no problems at all and are just not posting it in the thread?

After reading lots of peoples problems with the update, I have decided not to update yet, but I may change my mind if in general if people think there are not a lot of problems.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2004, 04:03 AM

Originally posted by kiwibabe:
So overall do you think its worth updating to 10.3.6? Have the majority of people had no problems at all and are just not posting it in the thread?

After reading lots of peoples problems with the update, I have decided not to update yet, but I may change my mind if in general if people think there are not a lot of problems.
I've upgraded my PowerBook with no problems at all as it's not a crucial machine to me. My G5 though is my daily workhorse, and at the moment I'm thinking "if it ain't broke why fix it", so it's staying at 10.3.5.

PBG4 User
Senior User
Nov 18, 2004, 09:36 AM

I have to ammend my earlier report about Diablo II. Once there are more than a few monster on screen, the monsters are able to do what they normally do, but my input (spell casts, movement, etc.) seems to get ignored, especially in pitched battles. It's like I'll click, then click, then click again to get a single spell cast.

It's making the game unplayable. I didn't notice since I've been playing SW:KOTOR on my XBox for awhile, but last night it was just frustrating.

This was on my iMac G5 with 2GB RAM so it isn't like the machine is too underpowered to play a game at 800x600 resolution.

lenox
Senior User
Nov 18, 2004, 11:34 AM

I was able to solve my audio problem thanks to someone in the Apple discussion forums. It's a hack of course, but it's the best we're going to get, probably....I replaced /System/Library/Extensions/Apple02Audio.kext in 10.3.6 with the one from 10.3.5, ran 'repair permissions', rebooted, everything was peachy.

leperkuhn
Senior User
Nov 18, 2004, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by lenox:
I was able to solve my audio problem thanks to someone in the Apple discussion forums. It's a hack of course, but it's the best we're going to get, probably....I replaced /System/Library/Extensions/Apple02Audio.kext in 10.3.6 with the one from 10.3.5, ran 'repair permissions', rebooted, everything was peachy.
Where did you get that kext file?

lenox
Senior User
Nov 19, 2004, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by leperkuhn:
Where did you get that kext file?
PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you. Just remember to backup the old file, and run repair permissions before rebooting, or else the system will not be happy

69camaro
Nov 19, 2004, 09:58 PM

has anybody had any luck with the external hard drive's not showing up? I upgraded and it showed up all fine, now it lists it being there in disk utility but it does not mount. The iPod is hooked into the back of the LaCie drive and that shows up.

Has anybody with this problem *I read earlier that these issues were present* getting solved?

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2004, 06:28 AM

Well I went for it on my Dual 2ghz G5 and all is well. All 3 of my firewire drives work just fine, and there's no other issues.

Oh, APART FROM THIS DAMN DNS ISSUE WHICH IS DRIVING ME INSANE!!!!

Sorry.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 22, 2004, 06:35 AM

The latest iPod firmware update solved the only problem I've had (thinking it might have been 10.3.6) as iTunes 4.7 didn't like to play with the iPod.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2004, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by 69camaro:
has anybody had any luck with the external hard drive's not showing up? I upgraded and it showed up all fine, now it lists it being there in disk utility but it does not mount. The iPod is hooked into the back of the LaCie drive and that shows up.

Has anybody with this problem *I read earlier that these issues were present* getting solved?
Do you have the latest firmware installed on the drive? Most of the hard drive manufacturers have released firmware upgrades now.

TribeLeader
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2004, 11:50 AM

Updated 2 G4 PBs here a while back -- no problems (repaired permissions before and after).
( Last edited by TribeLeader; Nov 22, 2004 at 11:58 AM. )

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2004, 11:53 AM

I now log out and log back in as root, do permissions and then install, do permissons again, then log back in as my normal user account. Works a treat.

Forum Links
Forum Rules