Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > sub-$500 Mac bomb: headless 'iMac mini' at MWSF !!!

sub-$500 Mac bomb: headless 'iMac mini' at MWSF !!! (Page 6)
mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2005, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
If this Mac does get released it would be the perfect computer for someone like me. I'd use it to store all my music, video, and backup so as to free up space on my stock PB. Not to mention I'd be able to use it as a desktop for somethings that need all the horse power I could muster and still have another system to work on the side with, all for $500. People are selling their old G3 towers that have been upgraded for that much. I really really hope this happens.
I also think many people would choose this unit and an iBook/Powerbook over having to pick between a higher end PowerBook or a PowerMac.

Just my 2�

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2005, 04:44 PM

OK guys, here we go. This has been posted over on AI, pictures of an 'iHome Media Centre'. True of bluff???

New Linkageness

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

osxisfun
Jan 7, 2005, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by ajprice:
OK guys, here we go. This has been posted over on AI, pictures of an 'iHome Media Centre'. True of bluff???

New Linkageness
its a fake. this is a play off of what happened during last macworld where someguy posted pics from an elevator that show some new mac or something...

that plus the fact (and i apologize to my euro friends) center is spelled "center" not "centre"

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2005, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by ajprice:

New Linkageness
Wow, looks real. Really real.

My only doubt is in the spelling of 'Centre' - IMO Apple is an American company and would likely not do this. It's like calling iMovie iCinema, or like Apple asking a customer 'which colour would you prefer your iPod to be'. Too English.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2005, 05:00 PM

I wasn't sure if they would have different packaging for europe and USA, one with Centre and one with Center. Then I thought about it and saw that that thing has Centre on the casing, and thought it would be stupid. So now I've posted it, I don't think its THE ONE. Ah well, all part of the fun .

The design doesn't look too bad though, kind of like a fat iBook casing.

osxisfun
Jan 7, 2005, 05:07 PM

>The design doesn't look too bad though, kind of like a fat iBook casing.

Yah i agree, i do like the overall packaging and to tell you the truth i REALLY like the name

iHome

oh well, 4 more days...

hagheid
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2005, 08:18 PM

I still see Lego as the model for the future
ONE range customised to suit.........
As black as Mick Jagger

Peabo
Senior User
Jan 8, 2005, 05:06 AM

Brings back memories of the LC pizzabox :]
New Link
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

kman42
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2005, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by z0ne81:
New Link
Totally fake. Look at images 7-9 in the link I quoted. You can see the piece of paper where he printed out iHome and glued it to what is very clearly a white cardboard box.

kman

discotronic
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2005, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by z0ne81:
New Link
A closer look reveals that it is a cardboard box. Look at one of the smashed corners.

OpenStep
Senior User
Jan 8, 2005, 12:13 PM

In photo 10 you can see the piece of tape holding it together too.

intake
Jan 8, 2005, 12:43 PM

When was the last time you saw such cheap, non molded styrofoam in an apple box?!?
I'm also sure it's no coincidence that that box has the same depth as the iMac G5 boxes underneath it.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2005, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by intake:
When was the last time you saw such cheap, non molded styrofoam in an apple box?!?
I'm also sure it's no coincidence that that box has the same depth as the iMac G5 boxes underneath it.
I agree it's fake, but that's a normal warehousing technique to have the boxes the same size. They are designed that way to maximize the space of a shelf.

morgantruce
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2005, 03:35 PM

Apple to Package Macintosh and iMac in Little Debbie Snack Cakes!

Your new iMac will soon come packed in munchies!
( Last edited by morgantruce; Jan 8, 2005 at 04:16 PM. )

osxisfun
Jan 8, 2005, 03:55 PM

wow. little stevey make little debbie look like a pile of puke!

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2005, 04:57 PM

Aside from the poor quality of the pictures, what if it really is a media center and not a desktop computer? Some things come to mind that would disappoint me if they were true:

Limited OS X version designed for media center functionality, but doesn't install & run most OS X apps.

Limited resolution designed for use on TVs, not computer monitors.

No ability to add RAM because it wouldn't be needed with limited functionality.

Crap video card, because the most advanced thing you're doing is video playback.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2005, 05:25 PM

Where the did people start getting the idea that this $500 cheap headless Mac would be anything other than a cheap, headless Mac? What's all this "TV functionality" BS? Why do people say Apple's going to partner with TiVo? Why would they put this functionality into a $500 machine but not into their more expensive ones? And WHY do people keep speculating on what this crappy "iHome" would be like even though it's been shown over and over again since it came out that it's a very poorly done fake?

God it you people all fail at life. Just shoot yourselves now, make things easier for the rest of the planet.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

osxisfun
Jan 8, 2005, 05:41 PM

hey, some of us don't want TV hMacs and know things are fake.... some credit?

Meh... i really don't care.

voth
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2005, 05:54 PM

I don't want a TV headless mac either, but if the size is right I would probably stick it by the TV and use it to play Video or Music from the Mac.

GaelDesign
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2005, 07:15 PM

If this is fake, then it's not only well done but exactly what I hope Apple releases. Good name too. iHome. Direct target: Microsoft. Bwaa ha ha ha!
President and Art Director of GaelDesign
Member of Distant Oaks - Celtic and Early Music Ensemble

kman42
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2005, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:

Where the did people start getting the idea that this $500 cheap headless Mac would be anything other than a cheap, headless Mac? What's all this "TV functionality" BS? Why do people say Apple's going to partner with TiVo? Why would they put this functionality into a $500 machine but not into their more expensive ones? And WHY do people keep speculating on what this crappy "iHome" would be like even though it's been shown over and over again since it came out that it's a very poorly done fake?

God it you people all fail at life. Just shoot yourselves now, make things easier for the rest of the planet.
What got up your ass?

Have you never been to these forums just prior to MacWorld before? Speculation, rumor-mongering, and wishlists are par for the course.

Don't like it? Don't read it.

kman

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2005, 08:51 PM

Sorry. I'm a moderator at a different message board and we've had about a dozen threads pop up about either this or simply speculating on the rumored $500 Mac. New members invariably post a new thread rather than using one of the many existing threads. So I'm a bit frustrated. Can't wait for the 11th to come and go.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2005, 12:49 AM

I like the iHome idea... but don't believe it to be true.

Low end users could use it as a regular system.
High end users could use it as a media PC.

Eventually Apple is going to need to bridge the computer to TV void. Microsoft is doing it (poorly), but I think Apple could improve upon it. Who knows...

osxisfun
Jan 9, 2005, 02:59 AM

Most people just use their computer for email, browsing and typing a letter.

Steve knows this. He will rename a mac that just does this....

Simple.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2005, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by osxisfun:
Most people just use their computer for email, browsing and typing a letter.

Steve knows this. He will rename a mac that just does this....

Simple.
Yeah, it'll be called ' iSimple'.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2005, 12:50 PM

wow. little stevey make little debbie look like a pile of puke!
Thanks, Moe!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

osxisfun
Jan 9, 2005, 12:59 PM

brucejy
Jan 9, 2005, 01:25 PM

I wonder if Apple will dust that box for fingerprints?

hldan
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2005, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by kman42:
What got up your ass?

Have you never been to these forums just prior to MacWorld before? Speculation, rumor-mongering, and wishlists are par for the course.

Don't like it? Don't read it.

kman
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

hldan
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2005, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:

Relax, stop being so stressed over this. Speculation about something new from Apple happens every year right before Macworld and has become a standard for the Mac at heart. It's fun to chat and speculate about something other than someone's computer problems. Your attitude takes the fun out of the spirit of the occasion.
To reitterate, you don't have to read the postings. Be kool, fool!
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Kelvin
Jan 9, 2005, 04:09 PM

If they do come out with a headless iMac will they also come out with a separte LCD monitor. I'd envision a 17" LCD display, analog only to match the CPU unit. I can't imagine Apple would want to loose a monitor sale to another company. If they do offer a new monitor then I hope it matches the iBook and is reasonably priced. I'm looking for a 17" monitor now and an Apple one that matches an iBook would be ideal. Add the screen spanning hack and you have a nice desktop setup.

Kelvin

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2005, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by Kelvin:
If they do come out with a headless iMac will they also come out with a separte LCD monitor. I'd envision a 17" LCD display, analog only to match the CPU unit. I can't imagine Apple would want to loose a monitor sale to another company. If they do offer a new monitor then I hope it matches the iBook and is reasonably priced. I'm looking for a 17" monitor now and an Apple one that matches an iBook would be ideal. Add the screen spanning hack and you have a nice desktop setup.

Kelvin
I'm sure there are a bunch of 12" iBook/PowerBook users that would love an quasi-inexpensive LCD monitor.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2005, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by Kelvin:

Kelvin
looking at their history, it appears they market their monitors towards professionals or pro-sumers. they do not have CRT monitors and they dropped the 15" LCD, so good luck in your hopes and ass-pirations.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

osxisfun
Jan 9, 2005, 05:36 PM

well, considering apple has never made a $500 mac before, i think its wrong of you to make "ass-umptions"...

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2005, 05:42 PM

I think a 17" display to go with this mac is quite possible, white plastic instead of aluminium. Like I said before, an iMac 17" without the chin, and thinner.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2005, 05:45 PM

well, considering apple has never made a $500 mac before, i think its wrong of you to make "ass-umptions"...
again, they dropped their 15" loss leader (just last year) and CRTs, so it's no assumtion another cheap monitor will not come out.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

hagheid
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2005, 06:13 PM

First Pics of the All New Apple Solid Slate Display
freely available within Google images
As black as Mick Jagger

osxisfun
Jan 9, 2005, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by teknopimp:
again, they dropped their 15" loss leader (just last year) and CRTs, so it's no assumtion another cheap monitor will not come out.
disagree. if apple comes out with a cheap mac there is no reason not to think a cheap monitor might ship as well.

what 15" loss leader? they had a 17 lcd is that what you mean?

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2005, 06:52 PM

what 15" loss leader? they had a 17 lcd is that what you mean?
Um, yeah, not to hijack the thread but Apple had a very profitable 17" Studio Display. Before that they had the 15" Studio Display that I think they discontinued about three years ago. If they introduce a low-cost Mac, I don't see how they can not have a matching monitor to go with it. I'd vote for a 17" widescreen for about $450-500.

osxisfun
Jan 9, 2005, 07:04 PM

agreed.

what if apple goes along the lines of some 15" ish (landscape) BUT its an analog lcd.. analog lcds are the cheap ass ones you see for a couple of hundred bucks in the frys ads.

let's not forgot that apple probably know most will use their pc monitor. its just an apple solution. not the required one.

thoughts?

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2005, 07:26 PM

what if apple goes along the lines of some 15" ish (landscape) BUT its an analog lcd.. analog lcds are the cheap ass ones you see for a couple of hundred bucks in the frys ads.

thoughts?
The "rumor" has the new mini Mac coming with DVI out. I doubt Apple would do an analog LCD. It's so last-millennium.

osxisfun
Jan 9, 2005, 07:27 PM

true but maybe apple not only taken on pc prices but pc "values" as well.

Last year i built a pc and walked into frys and said. man these lcds are cheap. so little did i know.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2005, 03:47 AM

So, here we are, not even 48h till MWSF kicks off an no new information about the iMac mini.

Jugding by the lack of additional rumors or specs I'm starting to think we've been taken for a ride here. I'd certainly like to be wrong, but it doesn't look that good. dePlume's rep is going to take a pretty hard blow, iPhone/iPad style.

Voch
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2005, 08:02 AM

My skepticism over the $500 Mac has grown but I'd like to see it happen, I guess. Personally, I'm more interested in the portable line getting a swift kick-in-the-pants to justify an upgrade from my TiBook that still has a year of warranty left...

Voch

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2005, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by Voch:
My skepticism over the $500 Mac has grown but I'd like to see it happen, I guess. Personally, I'm more interested in the portable line getting a swift kick-in-the-pants to justify an upgrade from my TiBook that still has a year of warranty left...

Voch
I'm with you... I think something interesting is coming, but I just don't know about a sub $500 Mac. I think there is a market, but is Apple willing to gamble on that many iMac/eMac users jumping ship for this new low end system?

I also think the media server thing is bogus. I don't see Apple being able to pull something like that off... but who knows. I guess it wouldn't be impossible considering their technological abilities.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2005, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I'm with you... I think something interesting is coming, but I just don't know about a sub $500 Mac. I think there is a market, but is Apple willing to gamble on that many iMac/eMac users jumping ship for this new low end system?

I also think the media server thing is bogus. I don't see Apple being able to pull something like that off... but who knows. I guess it wouldn't be impossible considering their technological abilities.
If the rumored specs are true I really don't see iMac sales losing out since the G5 is incentive to buy an iMac. eMac sales is the place where I think the loss would come in unless an eMac G5 is offered up. The odds of that happening are slim in my opinion. I like the idea of a $499 Mac. Hopefully there is some truth to this rumor.

P
Jan 10, 2005, 02:06 PM

Actually, the original Macintosh was designed to be $500 machine - with 9" monitor. Of course it ended up at 5 times the cost, and even the Classic much later cost way over $500, but there was the _intention_...

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2005, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by discotronic:
If the rumored specs are true I really don't see iMac sales losing out since the G5 is incentive to buy an iMac. eMac sales is the place where I think the loss would come in unless an eMac G5 is offered up. The odds of that happening are slim in my opinion. I like the idea of a $499 Mac. Hopefully there is some truth to this rumor.
I wonder how much Apple would really lose if they offered a $499 headless eMac. Considering the current eMac is $799.00 for 1.25GHz PowerPC G4, 256MB DDR333 SDRAM, 40GB Ultra ATA drive and a Combo drive. If you cut out the monitor/power/electronics for the monitor... and then then start to calculate the savings in shipping costs, warehousing, etc. I think they could get it down there... without losing all that much profit. It really depends... is Apple willing to play the razor thin margins...

osxisfun
Jan 10, 2005, 04:45 PM

> Of course it ended up at 5 times the cost,

I know. I bought one.

400k floppies 4 -evar!

spatterson
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 12:22 AM

400k floppies 4 -evar!
Make the bad memories stop!!! I would never touch one of those disks again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules