Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Collected observations from around the net

Collected observations from around the net (Page 2)
analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2005, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by ashtoash
A fresh, clean install of tiger retail on a very fast machine shows it still is choppy.
If you'll just wait a second until it's done with the Spotlight indexing...

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 24, 2005, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by wulf
UI responsiveness seems a little better on a Ti867 (ie. not CoreVideo-enabled).

Let us repeat again "core - image" has NOTHING to do with UI speed. Quartz 2d extreme would have - but this has been conveniently turned off due to bugs. well there's always 10.5 what a year and a half away?
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 24, 2005, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by RonnieoftheRose
Does iChat recieve offline messages yet? Otherwise it's still useless for me. The least they could do is have them forwarded to your Email.
Given that iChat uses AIM networks, then its unlikely to ever do this until AIM protocols change.
Not Apples fault I think.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

skribble
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2005, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by xl1ken

Does anyone understand (referring to the remarks in the above link):

How a new version of the OS can make Powerbooks overheat?
Uninstalling Virex will solve the overheating problem (as well as many other problems.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2005, 09:23 PM

Another reason not to use virex comes up every week

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 24, 2005, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by tkmd
Let us repeat again "core - image" has NOTHING to do with UI speed. Quartz 2d extreme would have - but this has been conveniently turned off due to bugs. well there's always 10.5 what a year and a half away?
I'd guess 10.5 will be at WWDC 2007 at the earliest. One might hope Quartz 2D Extreme is turned on before then, but somehow I'm not optimistic. I of course have no insight into the inner workings of Q2DE however so I'll just shut up.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2005, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Grrr
Given that iChat uses AIM networks, then its unlikely to ever do this until AIM protocols change.
Not Apples fault I think.
ICQ allowed people to receive messages when offline. MSN does not. I do not know about AIM's protocols, but I do know that they combined ICQ and AIM a few years back so they must be compatible somehow.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

midwinter
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2005, 11:43 PM

does anyone know if iCal/Mail.app plays nicely with groupwise appointments?

Super Mario  (op)
Apr 25, 2005, 12:32 AM

More problems
Modem makes no dialling tone noise.
Automator sometimes does nothing.
Automator makes PowerBook hot.
Dashboad widgets like weather dont remember prefs. Always have to set the city again.
Scrolling trackpad slowdown for some. If you get this after X installs repair permissions and reboot.

Super Mario  (op)
Apr 25, 2005, 12:34 AM

Rumour is 10.4.1 update will be out 7-10 days after Tiger is released.

Super Mario  (op)
Apr 25, 2005, 12:36 AM

Another bug. Airport time passed since log on in the menu bar is not accurate. What does '1_07:01:15' mean? The first 3 figures '1_0...' are a bug.

Super Mario  (op)
Apr 25, 2005, 12:37 AM

Fire doesn't work but Adium still works fine.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Feb 2, 2018 at 08:02 AM. )

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Apr 25, 2005, 01:01 AM

When has Fire ever worked?
Question, will spotlight index my external drive for me or is that something I have to do manually.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Super Mario
Dashboad widgets like weather dont remember prefs. Always have to set the city again.
Works for me.
My weather always says the city I last set it for, as long as it stays in the space.

I actually have 3 weather widgets open, one for each city I have family in, and they all stay set to the appropriate city.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2005, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by ApeInTheShell
When has Fire ever worked?
Question, will spotlight index my external drive for me or is that something I have to do manually.
It will try indexing it automatically when it first connected.

Oh, and I have no problems making weather-widgets remember cities.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2005, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Super Mario
More problems
Modem makes no dialling tone noise.
Automator sometimes does nothing.
Automator makes PowerBook hot.
Scrolling trackpad slowdown for some. If you get this after X installs repair permissions and reboot.
Are you sure you downloaded the final version?

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2005, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
It will try indexing it automatically when it first connected.

Oh, and I have no problems making weather-widgets remember cities.
Weather widget will not remember my City. Also when cities within USA has simialr name to cities outside of USA, it will display the US name. It seems to collects city names from System preferences but does not check which country. Lame. I get "Oslo, Minnesota" instead of of "Oslo, Norway"

Appleman
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Sophus
Weather widget will not remember my City. Also when cities within USA has simialr name to cities outside of USA, it will display the US name. It seems to collects city names from System preferences but does not check which country. Lame. I get "Oslo, Minnesota" instead of of "Oslo, Norway"
Isn't Norway the new oil-state, east of Texas?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2005, 07:54 AM

the odd thing is that if you enter "oslo, norway" and hit return, it will validate the city and capitalize appropriately, but not show the information for that city.

You do have to add the ", Country name" to the end, else it defaults to some US city of the same name, btw. It didn't show me the right "hamburg" when I entered it without ", Germany", either.

Still, it won't show Oslo data...

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2005, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by tkmd
Apologies for the confusion.

So: has anyone (with suitable configuration) enabled Q2D Extreme yet? What results?

wings_rfs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2005, 09:29 AM

USBOverdrive isn't compatible with Tiger, or there is a conflict between it and some other optional utility I have installed. After installing Tiger I immediately reinstalled several other of my favorite thingies (Default Folder, Menu Meters, etc). After about 5-10 minutes of run time my mouse & keyboard would lock up (happened several times). After removing USBOverdrive from the extensions folder and disabling it in Sys Prefs, that problem went away. So far no other problems, but I'm still testing. Just wanted to post this in case someone else is using USBOverdrive. Guess I wait and see if an update to this comes along.

Glad to see we can disable Spotlight from indexing/searching specific places. I have archives of junk (that I really need to throw away) and I dont want that stuff popping up in a search.

As far as speed goes, I'm sure it's faster than Panther in many areas. It didn't time anything but I can feel it. (I refuse to say "snappier")

One thing Im still investigating is that I cannot eject an internal drive - Eject in the Finder menu is dimmed. No apps running so I have nothing of mine that is using anything in that drive, so I dunno what's going on there. This is an internal drive that I back up to, and I normally keep that off the desktop when Im not doing a backup.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by wings_rfs
USBOverdrive isn't compatible with Tiger, or there is a conflict between it and some other optional utility I have installed. After installing Tiger I immediately reinstalled several other of my favorite thingies (Default Folder, Menu Meters, etc). After about 5-10 minutes of run time my mouse & keyboard would lock up (happened several times). After removing USBOverdrive from the extensions folder and disabling it in Sys Prefs, that problem went away. So far no other problems, but I'm still testing. Just wanted to post this in case someone else is using USBOverdrive. Guess I wait and see if an update to this comes along.
Works for me. Works perfect.

wings_rfs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2005, 04:12 PM

Ben, I think you may be right. My mouse just died again and without USBOverdrive. The 1st 3 or 4 times it died it wasn't long after a reboot, and after I removed USB.O.D. it stayed alive for a long time. Anyway, this time I've been over 6 hours without it dying and ... it just did. Looks like I'll have to blame something else.... like maybe Tiger?

I tried unplugging the mouse and plugging it back in before and that didn't help, but this time it got me going again. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be happy to hear it.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Hi I'm Ben
Works for me. Works perfect.
No problems for you with USB Overdrive when opening iTunes?

When I have USB OD installed, iTunes locked up all the time when opening it, when I uninstalled it the iTunes problem went away immediately.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 04:31 PM

Anyone using the Logitech Control Center 1.4.1 mouse software in Tiger?

I wil have to try this until USB OD is fixed

zerostar
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by wings_rfs
If anyone has any suggestions I'd be happy to hear it.

What brand keyboard/mouse

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2005, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
the odd thing is that if you enter "oslo, norway" and hit return, it will validate the city and capitalize appropriately, but not show the information for that city.

You do have to add the ", Country name" to the end, else it defaults to some US city of the same name, btw. It didn't show me the right "hamburg" when I entered it without ", Germany", either.

Still, it won't show Oslo data...
I managed to get the weather widget to display Oslo, Norway data, or atleast I think so, but the readings were so far off the actual situation outside my living room, so I am not sure... Anyway, it's lame that it only grab the city name from te location prefs, and not country name while it's at it. Many cities in the USA are named after european cities. I figured out that it was displaying Oslo, Minnesota because it was showing night at daytime and some really abnormal temperatures

The widget seems to forget location only sometimes, but not always. Often the widget seems to freeze, not getting the data. Quitting and restarting the widget loads the data in a few seconds. Obviously the widgets have room for improvements. I am a bit dissapointed that the widgets are so poorely designed and USA centric. They should have done better to really showcase the potential.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2005, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by zerostar
Anyone using the Logitech Control Center 1.4.1 mouse software in Tiger?

I wil have to try this until USB OD is fixed
Me. At least I think it's 1.4.1. I'll check when I get home. Why?

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

shadybirdstan
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2005, 10:04 AM

Firefox crashes continually for me or at least Tiger is telling me it has crashed but it seems to be running fine I am still forced to have it quit.

Maybe something with my extensions is causing this to happen, who knows?

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by zerostar
No problems for you with USB Overdrive when opening iTunes?

When I have USB OD installed, iTunes locked up all the time when opening it, when I uninstalled it the iTunes problem went away immediately.
No, never had that problem. I can't think of a single time when it stopped functioning, i even assigned new keys to it to interact with Dashboard

Forum Links
Forum Rules