Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New Power Mac coming up!

New Power Mac coming up! (Page 3)
darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2005, 08:37 AM

That's true, but I'm hoping to wait and see if a PCIX graphics enabled Powermac comes out.

Is the Dell 24" HD really that much better than Apple's 20" ? From a color/crisp/contrast/viewing angle perspective? Is it at least 1680 wide in res? How much does it cost? Just curious in case...

intake
Oct 15, 2005, 10:15 AM

I picked up my Dell 2405 for about $850 after coupons. I couldn't be happier, especially for the price.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2005, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by darcybaston
That's true, but I'm hoping to wait and see if a PCIX graphics enabled Powermac comes out.

Is the Dell 24" HD really that much better than Apple's 20" ? From a color/crisp/contrast/viewing angle perspective? Is it at least 1680 wide in res? How much does it cost? Just curious in case...
It's PCIe, not PCIX. PCI-X is already in the PowerMacs and is really just a higher-clocked PCI. PCI Express isn't backwards-compatible, as far as I know, and right now it's mainly used for video cards. I'll say that PCIe is a shoe-in for the next PowerMacs; if an iMac has it already, that means that PowerMac mainboards can already have it.

As far as the Dell display, the 24" model runs at 1920x1200 - the same as Apple's 23" model. I've heard that the Dell model is the overall better deal, but I'm not sure if I'd want either. Samsung's 242MP would be better because it has better looks, built-in TV tuners, and (if I recall correctly) a remote. It might cost more than Dell's but it's probably much more effective as a hybrid monitor/TV.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2005, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by darcybaston
The Dell 24" HD is comparable to Apple's 23" HD (same number of pixels), except $400-600 cheaper.
The Dell 20" uses a newer/better revision of the same panel make/model in the Apple 20", but again it's $100-400 cheaper.

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2005, 06:57 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Time to go visit Samsung and Dell online. What about Viewsonic? I used to really enjoy using their CRTs.

travisimo
Oct 15, 2005, 06:59 PM

i definatly think it will be dual duals to the rescue.. after all the xbox 360 is already sporting a trifect of powerpc 3.2 dual cores as i type this... i can't wait!!!!

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 15, 2005, 11:16 PM

The Xbox's PPCs have nothing to do with G5s though.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

pman68
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2005, 01:18 PM

The rumors are that the high end mac, whatever the specs, will be over 3K. ouch.

who can afford that?

k2director
Senior User
Oct 17, 2005, 01:20 PM

For a quad Mac that offers appreciably better performance for video work in Final Cut and Motion? I can!

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 17, 2005, 01:22 PM

Pro users tend have a business surrounding their PowerMac purchase, which means more credit, moolah, tax breaks etc.

jcadam
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2005, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
The Dell 24" HD is comparable to Apple's 23" HD (same number of pixels), except $400-600 cheaper.
The Dell 20" uses a newer/better revision of the same panel make/model in the Apple 20", but again it's $100-400 cheaper.
Apple displays are overpriced. Everyone knows this.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

crooner
Senior User
Oct 17, 2005, 07:23 PM

While we're talking about Apple displays...
Has anyone heard any word on whether there might be a price drop on current displays at the announcement?

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2005, 08:24 PM

You never know. Maybe. Wouldn't hurt to wait the two days to check, would it?
Linkinus is king.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2005, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by crooner
While we're talking about Apple displays...
Has anyone heard any word on whether there might be a price drop on current displays at the announcement?
Since you mention it: Average Selling Price (ASP) for widescreen LCDs may drop 30% by the 2nd quarter of next year

crooner
Senior User
Oct 17, 2005, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by brokenjago
You never know. Maybe. Wouldn't hurt to wait the two days to check, would it?

Oh, yeah. Definitely gonna wait until the announcement. But whether or not they drop the price I'll likely be getting a 30" next week! Very excited as this will complete my new system. It will be flanked by two of the Dell 24" displays. I wonder if Mac OS X will allow for that many pixels... at one point when I had a three display setup I ran into a pixel limit than was fixed with the nest update. It manifested itself by not allowing any icon to be placed past "the invisible line." Windows, on the other hand, could be placed in that area.

It would be very sweet if they lowered the price to $2499. We shall see.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

Chad A Wright
Oct 17, 2005, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by pman68
The rumors are that the high end mac, whatever the specs, will be over 3K. ouch.

who can afford that?
All of us who have been saving since the promise of 3Ghz Powermacs. I've limped by on a 1Ghz Powerbook and a 1.42 Mac mini since then. It's been so many years I've even had time to save for a 30" ACD.

Can't wait.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2005, 12:10 AM

We'll find out in 13 hours....

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 18, 2005, 12:13 AM

The event isn't until Wednesday...
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

crooner
Senior User
Oct 18, 2005, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Chad A Wright
All of us who have been saving since the promise of 3Ghz Powermacs. I've limped by on a 1Ghz Powerbook and a 1.42 Mac mini since then. It's been so many years I've even had time to save for a 30" ACD.

Can't wait.

Do you really think we'll see 3Ghz G5s? It would be a bittersweet landmark, for sure, but I'm betting we would have heard that IBM had reached that speed from outlets other than Apple. I think the smart money is on dual core PowerMacs, a dual-dual being the bee's knee's.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2005, 07:01 AM

I don't think we'll see 3GHz. There have been no reports of IBM being capable of making them.

Quad PMs at over $3000 have been rumored. The fastest mentioned has been 2.8GHz, although I thought the dual-core CPUs were stuck at 2.5GHz.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2005, 09:34 AM

We'll find out tomorrow...

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2005, 12:54 PM

Here's hoping the G5 goes out with a BANG! My credit card is waiting...

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2005, 01:08 PM

It will be two years until the next "Power Macintosh" (whatever that will be under the Intel world).

My guess: in the PPC power Macs to come: the current form factor will remain the
same and in the future they will just release faster CPU chips as they come out but
keep the features and commodity hardware much the same but increase the
capabilities of DVD writers and video cards as they improve.

Tomorrow should be interesting.
( Last edited by Todd Madson; Oct 18, 2005 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Clarity)

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 18, 2005, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by GORDYmac
Here's hoping the G5 goes out with a BANG! My credit card is waiting...
As is mine. This will be my first Tower and I couldn't be more excited. My evolution has gone from emulating OS 7.5 on an Amiga 1200, to an iMac DV SE and then an iBook 14" 933mhz.

I'm really looking forward to enjoying real speed and expandability for a change. It will also be nice to play a 3D game or two without having to drop down settings to 640x480 and grumbling why there wasn't just a black and white wireframe option.

I've got Logic Express, Ableton Live 5 and I'm ready to rock and roll!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2005, 06:49 PM

And now for a completely different idea: How about a PowerMac G5.5?

IBM was supposed to develop PPC980 in parallel with POWER5, instead of after the fact as with PPC970/POWER4. Ok, POWER5 has been shipping for about a year now, where's PPC980?

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2005, 07:23 PM

If they release a dual-dual G5 tomorrow, I'll be hard pressed to continue on track and save for an iMac G5 + iBook G4 instead of a PowerMac and 30" ACD... we'll see.

We'll see.
Linkinus is king.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2005, 07:17 AM

I think the announcement starts at Noon EDT. (Crosses fingers for dual-duals).

Appleman
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2005, 10:27 AM

I get this when checking my account at the Dutch Apple Store:

"Apple's Online and phone Order Status services are temporarily unavailable due to a scheduled upgrade to our systems. We apologize for any inconvenience."

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2005, 08:59 PM

Quad 2.5GHz (Twin Duals) for $3300. With PCI-Express slots all around and some free apps (FC Express and something else), its a decent upgrade, but is it really worth $600 more than the Dual 2.7GHz model (they still are selling them).

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2005, 11:35 PM

Well, I did it. I'm sitting here using a new Dual core 2.0 ghz machine, stock config. It is absolutely the fastest computer I have ever used in my life. W-O-W.

It's my upgrade to an iBook 933MHz, so you can imagine the light/day quality change in the experience. I loaded up Warcraft III tonight, cranked all the settings as high as they could go and...butter.

The profile migration tool worked flawlessly. I put the iBook in target firewire disk mode, and the G5 booted itself up alone for the first time, it was as if I was in my cozy space, only a helluva lot faster and I keep getting surprised at how I can actually turn my head a bit to look left or right, even on a 20" screen.

I'm in bliss. This is incredible. I'm installing Halo as I write this and I'm getting ready to have some serious fun.

Watching the two cpu meters in activity monitor is interesting. It always distributes the load evenly between the two. I haven't seen one take over from the other, altough they do jump up and down a little separately at times.

Anyway, that's it for now. Going to go play...

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 19, 2005, 11:43 PM

What does the About This Mac window display regarding the processor? Does it still say 'Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5' or something like 'Dual-Core 2GHz PowerPC G5'?
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Chad A Wright
Oct 19, 2005, 11:43 PM

Congratulations on your new machine. I was so tempted to go with the 2.3 since I could have it in a day or two. This 3-4 week wait for the Quad is going to kill me. I just console myself knowing it will be with me for many years to come.
Chad Wright
Image Studios
The Journey Blog - http://chadwright.wordpress.com

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 19, 2005, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Nah... Something more like:

Single 2.0 GHz 970MP: $1899
Single 2.2 GHz 970MP: $2299
Single 2.5 GHz 970MP: $2699
Dual 2.5 GHz 970MP: $3299

ie. No more single-core G5s at all in Power Macs.
Well, not totally correct, but close.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 19, 2005, 11:44 PM

Not really.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2005, 07:32 AM

The discussions on the new PMs are thin. Is no one impressed? I'm not greatly moved by this update.

The base model G5 has gone from two single cores to a single dual-core. PCI/PCI-X dropped for PCIe. 8 DIMM slots instead of 4. Same 2GHz speed. Same price. Twin Gigabit ports instead of one.

What is the performance increase from dual singles to a single dual? I guess we have to wait for benchmarks.

A lack of PCIe cards will likely hold many back. Is someone making PCIe SATA cards or the like?

Is it me or do few really need two gigabit ports?

How are the video cards?

This update makes me want to pick up a Dual 2.5GHz (old model) or even a 2.7 if I could find one. I guess I should wait another 6 months.

OreoCookie
Oct 20, 2005, 08:01 AM

Actually, the total bandwidth of a single dual-core cpu is less than two single-core cpus as they have to share the total bandwidth. So this would make the system slower.

On the other hand the new cpus feature 1 MB L2 cache per core instead of 512 KB and I am pretty sure the cores themselves were optimized compared to their predecessors. Also the northbridge sports faster interfaces than its predecessor, DDR2 RAM, PCIe, etc. which also improves performance.

So my guesstimate is a stalemate between a dual-core single-cpu system and the corresponding dual single-core system.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2005, 08:14 AM

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2005, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
The discussions on the new PMs are thin. Is no one impressed? I'm not greatly moved by this update.
I think the update is reasonably good, although I would have liked to see a single dual-core 2.5 model (like in my prediction above). The prices have dropped, and the specs have improved. And of course, that quad is very nice. I sure could use that 10 GHz of horsepower. H.264 encoding takes forever on my 2 GHz iMac.

I would consider waiting until the 7800 GT is available though (if I were in the market).

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2005, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Not really.
Heh. How close do you want it? Prediction:
Nah... Something more like:

Single 2.0 GHz 970MP: $1899
Single 2.2 GHz 970MP: $2299
Single 2.5 GHz 970MP: $2699

ie. No more single-core G5s at all in Power Macs.
Reality:

Single 2.0 GHz 970MP: $1999
Single 2.3 GHz 970MP: $2499
Dual 2.7 GHz 970FX: $2799

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2005, 10:46 AM

Lateralus, you won the "scratch-somebody's-pretty-thin-ego-with-as-little-effort-as-possible" contest 2005. Congrats! And Wanker gets a $100 coupon for his neighorhood shrink.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 21, 2005, 12:11 PM

I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2005, 06:08 PM

Apple has posted the 7800 GT manual on their site now.

Originally Posted by Simon
Lateralus, you won the "scratch-somebody's-pretty-thin-ego-with-as-little-effort-as-possible" contest 2005. Congrats! And Wanker gets a $100 coupon for his neighorhood shrink.
Sweet! I could use a hundred bux. However, maybe I should use it for a bus ticket for your mom to go see you. It seems you need a hug or something...

gangster
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2005, 08:38 PM

I hope for another "cheap" g5, aka, a single 2.x model of the previous generation with improvements. i have already learned to "dream-on" with apple.
( Last edited by gangster; Oct 22, 2005 at 01:45 PM. )

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2005, 10:13 PM

XBench 1.2 results on my stock 2GHz DC setup:
Code:
Results 102.17 System Info Xbench Version 1.2 System Version 10.4.2 (8E90) Physical RAM 512 MB Model PowerMac11,2 Processor PowerPC G5x2 @ 2.00 GHz L1 Cache 64K (instruction), 32K (data) L2 Cache 1024K @ 2.00 GHz Bus Frequency 1 GHz Drive Type WDC WD1600JS-41MVB1 CPU Test 99.29 GCD Loop 93.24 4.91 Mops/sec Floating Point Basic 100.91 2.40 Gflop/sec vecLib FFT 103.95 3.43 Gflop/sec Floating Point Library 99.67 17.36 Mops/sec Thread Test 97.17 Computation 102.77 2.08 Mops/sec, 4 threads Lock Contention 92.15 3.96 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads Memory Test 105.63 System 99.02 Allocate 89.79 329.75 Kalloc/sec Fill 138.04 6711.58 MB/sec Copy 83.93 1733.46 MB/sec Stream 113.19 Copy 112.86 2331.18 MB/sec [G5] Scale 112.58 2325.93 MB/sec [G5] Add 113.87 2425.71 MB/sec [G5] Triad 113.43 2426.56 MB/sec [G5] Quartz Graphics Test 117.20 Line 99.29 6.61 Klines/sec [50% alpha] Rectangle 107.43 32.07 Krects/sec [50% alpha] Circle 107.13 8.73 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha] Bezier 106.21 2.68 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha] Text 220.63 13.80 Kchars/sec OpenGL Graphics Test 112.64 Spinning Squares 112.64 142.89 frames/sec User Interface Test 150.26 Elements 150.26 689.62 refresh/sec Disk Test 68.41 Sequential 93.26 Uncached Write 110.48 67.83 MB/sec [4K blocks] Uncached Write 101.16 57.24 MB/sec [256K blocks] Uncached Read 65.55 19.18 MB/sec [4K blocks] Uncached Read 114.95 57.77 MB/sec [256K blocks] Random 54.02 Uncached Write 20.46 2.17 MB/sec [4K blocks] Uncached Write 130.61 41.81 MB/sec [256K blocks] Uncached Read 97.06 0.69 MB/sec [4K blocks] Uncached Read 138.75 25.75 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2005, 10:25 PM

Thanks, but I will point out that Xbench is useless for testing multiple CPUs. One good cross-platform test is Cinebench:

ftp://ftp3.maxon.net/pub/benchmarks/...ch_2003_g5.sit

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2005, 02:53 AM

However, maybe I should use it for a bus ticket for your mom to go see you. It seems you need a hug or something...
Dude, let it go.

Your prediction was wrong and nobody cared, but when you came here to get patted on the shoulder for it, Lateralus pointed out (with a -><- that is) that you were off. It's no big deal but you're making one out of it. Predictions are just guessing. Nobody knows for sure. It's a game and losing doesn't hurt. So, how about letting it go before it gets embarassing?

JB72
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2005, 03:01 AM

Forum fights are fun. And we've had that. But it's over now. Let's move on. It's all good.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2005, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
Dude, let it go.

Your prediction was wrong and nobody cared, but when you came here to get patted on the shoulder for it, Lateralus pointed out (with a -><- that is) that you were off. It's no big deal but you're making one out of it. Predictions are just guessing. Nobody knows for sure. It's a game and losing doesn't hurt. So, how about letting it go before it gets embarassing?
Gimme a break. I was just responding (in jest) to your post which was nothing more than a personal attack. It'd be nice for a change if you would simply refute an on-topic post directly with another on-topic post, but old habits die hard I guess.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Oct 22, 2005 at 08:33 AM. )

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2005, 08:57 AM

Thanks, but I will point out that Xbench is useless for testing multiple CPUs. One good cross-platform test is Cinebench:

ftp://ftp3.maxon.net/pub/benchmarks/...ch_2003_g5.sit
I posted this in the other thread, but it looks like the quad 2.5 should easily break 1000 in this bench. The last fastest Mac (dual 2.7) got less than 700.

Too bad about Apple's incomplete 64-bit support though. The x86 guys are seeing speed increases of 20-30%, just going from the 32-bit version to the 64-bit version of Cinebench, and those speed increases are real-world for Cinema 4D as well. According to Maxon, Tiger's 64-bit support is incomplete enough to make porting a 64-bit version too hard so they're just not going to bother. I don't blame them. I betcha 10.5 might just get full 64-bit support, and if so Maxon could just port to that instead and avoid all the headache.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Oct 22, 2005 at 09:05 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules