Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Soldering a second battery into an ipod-- any electrical engineers out there?

Soldering a second battery into an ipod-- any electrical engineers out there?
mrplow
Jul 7, 2006, 05:19 PM

my friend recently gave me her busted ipod 3G and linksys router-- and I fixed both with minimal effort. Apparently the battery in the ipod is toast, and the AC transformer on the router was fried.

ANYWAY.

as it turns out, I think her battery is ok-- but I have a busted 4G ipod as well, and I'm trying to figure out how (if possible) to wire the batteries together to increase the life of the iPod. I realize that I'm going to have to tweak the case as the battery will become external, but this is already the case because the 4G ipod is too big to fit in the ipod. I figure since I have to have the battery external anyway, why not make it too?

The issue, I believe, is between running the batteryes in parallel or in series- and im not positive how to do which. The battery has 3 wires, red white and black. I need to splice the wires and solder them together, but do i cross them or match them to do this? One way will doule the volts/amps but the other should extend the life.

please feel free to argue with me

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2006, 03:12 AM

forget soldering......superglue will get the job done.

mrplow  (op)
Jul 8, 2006, 12:03 PM

since when does super glue conduct electricity?

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2006, 12:22 PM

it doesn't, but it will help you from losing the second battery. just be sure to superglue the battery to the back of the ipod and not over the controls on the front.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2006, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by mrplow
my friend recently gave me her busted ipod 3G and linksys router-- and I fixed both with minimal effort. Apparently the battery in the ipod is toast, and the AC transformer on the router was fried.

ANYWAY.

as it turns out, I think her battery is ok-- but I have a busted 4G ipod as well, and I'm trying to figure out how (if possible) to wire the batteries together to increase the life of the iPod. I realize that I'm going to have to tweak the case as the battery will become external, but this is already the case because the 4G ipod is too big to fit in the ipod. I figure since I have to have the battery external anyway, why not make it too?

The issue, I believe, is between running the batteryes in parallel or in series- and im not positive how to do which. The battery has 3 wires, red white and black. I need to splice the wires and solder them together, but do i cross them or match them to do this? One way will doule the volts/amps but the other should extend the life.

please feel free to argue with me
To increase the battery life you need to run them in parallel. This would be the equivalent of the iPod having a bigger battery.

Running them in series would result in the wrong voltage being applied - bad.

Forum Links
Forum Rules