Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac C2D not falling asleep

iMac C2D not falling asleep
kamina
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2007, 10:41 AM

Strange thing, but since I did a clean re-install of my iMac (fully updated) it's no longer falling asleep whatever I have under power saving settings.

The only applications I have running are a fully updated eyetv 2, thunderbird, mail and firefox. Actually my set up is pretty identical to what it was before the re-install (changed my hard disk).

kamina  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2007, 12:52 PM

edit:

Tested shutting down the computer and removing all cables for 20 minutes as advised by Apples site, did not help at all.

edit:

Killed all extra running apps, and disconnected everything but the keyboard. It would still not sleep. In safe mode it fell asleap though.
( Last edited by kamina; Apr 3, 2007 at 03:00 PM. )

imacguy309
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2007, 05:50 PM

I got this with my tray loading iMac when I first "tried" putting Mac OS X on it...It seems stupid but it worked for me...I went into the sleeping settings and for some reason when you do a fresh install it seems to happen. So go into the sleep settings and enable the sleeping...

iMacguy309

kamina  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2007, 07:36 AM

Isn't it activated as soon as you move the slider and set a time frame for it to fall asleap? During testing I have tried values from 1-5 minutes.

daystartech
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2007, 07:43 AM

Assuming the issue is software, it is most likely a "background" task that won't shut off.

If you are running 10.4.9, it may be that Spotlight is keeping it awake. While the utility should be passive... Apple did something in 10.4.9 that causes it to work agressively. The easy test is to simply disable it by going the the Spotlight System Preference, The add the connected drives in the privacy tab, then close.

If your system still fights sleep, it isn't Spotlight. Try opening Activity Monitor and looking for the culprit.
Gary Dailey
Daystar Technology
Mac CPU Upgrades, Mac Video Capture, Apple Authorized Sales and Service

kamina  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2007, 11:59 AM

Well, spotlight did not help. I also disabled everything I could through activity monitor, but it did not help. I guess I'll try a reinstall and see what breaks it.

kamina  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2007, 01:52 PM

I reinstalled the operating system and it's fine again. The only differance between the original working system, the one between and what I have now is that when it was "broken" I had installed both retrospect, and a driver for the Western Digital My Book Pro.

mrplow
Apr 18, 2007, 02:56 AM

My macbook won't sleep anymore either--- I cose it, and to my unhappy surprise the battery is dead when i pull it out of my backpack later. It's happened twice... I've now tested at my desk at home, and infact the machine is not going to sleep on a regular basis. Theory- apple screwed up os 10.4.9.. also having problems with external display now.

kamina  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2007, 01:50 PM

I had that with my macbook pro before. I sent it for repairs due to it overheating, and that issue actually fixed itself at the same time (probably the reinstall though).

wings_rfs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2007, 12:56 PM

Ever since adding a 2nd LCD monitor to my system (GeForce 7800GT video), iCal will not pop up any alarms if it's been asleep, and sleep sometimes hangs showing the last frame of my animated screen saver (Marine Aquarium). When I come back to the Mac and see the frozen screen saver, if I move the mouse it comes back to the desktop, THEN goes to sleep.

I installed the security updates from Thursday, and Friday morning iCal DID pop up with its alarm ("Wake Reina for school"). And this morning I see that SuperDuper did its automatic backup at 3AM today. That one would also not run until I moved the mouse, then sleep, then wakeup.

So what I'm saying is that it looks like Thursday's security updates may have fixed my machine's sleep disorder. Has anyone else noticed any changes like this after the update?

pipermalibu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2007, 08:04 PM

I have had this problem on a dual 2.5 for a year. The culprit on mine is ALWAYS a process called SyncServer. I quit it and it in Activity Monitor and it will sleep every time.

olmy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2007, 07:29 AM

my macbook pro c2d randomly refuses to go to sleep. The solution I found is to reset the printing system in "Print Center Utility". So, in my case, the printing system seems to be the culprit.
Hope this helps.

Forum Links
Forum Rules