Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Is Exchange support all or nothing?

Is Exchange support all or nothing?
kman42
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2008, 01:24 PM

If you choose to use Exchange support, is there anyway to also keep a personal calendar and a set of personal contacts? Or is everything sync'd to the Exchange server? I would prefer not to store my personal calendar/contacts on the Exchange server.

Is there anyway to use both an Exchange server for work stuff and MobileMe for personal stuff or is one or the other?

thanks,
kman

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2008, 01:49 PM

On Windows Mobile (of course, Apple might implement ActiveSync differently) you can choose whether or not you want to sync different items with the Exchange server.

For instance, one of my users syncs his contacts and e-mail but not his calendars with the Exchange server.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2008, 01:58 PM

But can you choose to sync some contacts with Exchange and others with MobileMe (or nothing)? Can you keep the kids soccer schedule sync'd with MobileMe, but your work meetings sync'd with Exchange?

Can you even do this on a desktop computer, using Outlook or iCal? I'm just not sure if this type of segregation is possible.

I'm interested because our university recently went to Exchange and my group is considering jumping on the bandwagon. I'd like to use my iPhone for work scheduling, but I don't really need to sync my workout schedule or personal plans to Exchange.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2008, 03:07 PM

It was pretty much an all or nothing thing for calendars... you could sync calendars from either Exchange or your own personal calendaring system, but not both. We'll see if Apple comes up with something easier to use than Microsoft did...

Ultimately, I wound up moving all my personal stuff into my work calendar.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

NateEssex
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2008, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
But can you choose to sync some contacts with Exchange and others with MobileMe (or nothing)? Can you keep the kids soccer schedule sync'd with MobileMe, but your work meetings sync'd with Exchange?

Can you even do this on a desktop computer, using Outlook or iCal? I'm just not sure if this type of segregation is possible.

I'm interested because our university recently went to Exchange and my group is considering jumping on the bandwagon. I'd like to use my iPhone for work scheduling, but I don't really need to sync my workout schedule or personal plans to Exchange.
Which data plan do you envision yourself getting?
MBP 15" 2.33 ghz 256Video Card
40 Gig iPod, Airport Extreme

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2008, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by NateEssex View Post
Which data plan do you envision yourself getting?
I don't think there's any choice with Exchange support... $45/mo.

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2008, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
I don't think there's any choice with Exchange support... $45/mo.
Steve said that every iPhone has ActiveSync support built in. Isn't $45/month the corporate plan? I'm not a corporation.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2008, 09:33 AM

Yes, mail, contacts, and calendaring can all be kept separate.

My Touch has just gotten that much more useful!

Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

kikkoman
Senior User
Jul 15, 2008, 03:09 PM

Yes I believe you can keep business contacts on Exchange and personal contacts in MobileMe. The iPhone can be setup to receive e-mail, calendars and contacts from both services. On the Mac the iCal syncs with MobileMe which syncs with your iPhone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules