Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > OS X [Mail.app] and exchange server

OS X [Mail.app] and exchange server
Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2007, 07:53 AM

Can I easily integrate this. I know that Entourage for MAc isn't compatible with the latest exchange server but can Mail to the job in either Tiger or Leopard form?

thanks

Naplander
Senior User
Dec 3, 2007, 08:15 AM

I am not sure about the latest version of exchange, but my mail client (Mail.app) works fine with Exchange 2004 (Leopard)
KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

Kvasir
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2007, 11:16 AM

As long as the exchange server is set up to allow IMAP, then Apple Mail will work fine to read mail. Working with calendar invites and such is pretty much out - you need Entourage for that. Also, without Entourage, you'll need to use a browser for scheduling your own calendar and the like. And the web interface for all browsers other then IE on Windows is limited (ie. it's a browser-lite version, not full featured).

And the current Entourage (Office 2004) does work with the most recent Exchange server. However, Entourage is not the same as Outlook under Windows - it lacks certain features (and many of those omissions remain in the Entourage 2008 beta). Basically, if you want the full and complete feature set of exchange, your only choice of client is Outlook under Windows. Entourage can do most of the things Outlook can, but not all (and some of the things it does do, it does in a clunkier way then Outlook). Sucks, but in my recent experience with having to switch to exchange, that's the way it is.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2007, 04:03 PM

If your Exchange environment hasOutlook webmail configured, Entourage does a pretty good job of syncing up for mail and calendaring. Setting up is a bit of a pain, but once it's configured, it runs well.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

larkost
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2007, 08:24 PM

I can attest that Mail.app works as well as any other IMAP client on Exchange (that means: with glitches, Exchange is not a particularly good IMAP server). I have been running that way for a couple of months now (10.5 pre-releases). We are running the latest version of Exchange. And invitations do work, but you won't have the integrated calender.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2007, 12:23 AM

While it doesn't offer the same seamless experience as Outlook's calendaring, YAI! (You are Invited!) handles those Outlook invites and turns them into iCal events.

success
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2008, 11:21 AM

hey cool.. I have a recent issue and it is related to this topic.

There is a network of Windows XP machines with an Exchange server. Everyone is using Outlook except the boss who's using Mail.app. The problem is that even though the office admin has been given full permissions to access the boss' account she cannot export a CSV file. When she attempts to export a CSV file in Outlook she only sees her own tree/folder and not the boss'.

The boss accessed his own account on a native Windows machine to see if he could export a CSV and he couldn't do it. The only variable is the one Mac so is there something we can search for that would be causing this problem? The boss is never around so how could we determine the problem if he is never around to try something on the Mac?

Would this even be a Mac issue or is it simple an exchange / network issue?

Thanks

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2008, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Kvasir View Post
Entourage can do most of the things Outlook can, but not all (and some of the things it does do, it does in a clunkier way then Outlook).
It's actually possible for something to be clunkier than Outlook? Wow!

Cold Warrior
Jan 3, 2008, 04:58 PM

Mail isn't an OS X issue. Moving to Applications....

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2008, 11:13 PM

Anyway having trouble with Mail and Exchange 2007 connectivity?
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Forum Links
Forum Rules