Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Anyone Else Experience Firefox Related GUI Freezes?

Anyone Else Experience Firefox Related GUI Freezes?
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2008, 04:42 AM

A couple of times now, twice on my G5 and once on my brother's new MBP, we have experienced nearly total freezes of the GUI that seem to be connected to Firefox 3. Suddenly the system completely slows down, and GUI updates with the exception of the pointer either slow down to a glacial crawl or stop completely. This isn't something that should ever happen in OS X. We don't know what triggers this phenomenon.

The first time it happened to me I was able to wait it out; eventually my attempts to force quit applications by blindly pressing command-option-esc and hitting return a number of times finally returned my G5 to normal operation. However, about a week later it happened again, except this time only the pointer moved. After waiting a half hour with no luck, I tried forcing sleep by pressing the G5's power button, which in previous GUI freezes has gotten me back to the loginwindow. This time, however, after waking from sleep the screen shown was completely garbled, and the only thing that was identifiable was the still moving pointer. Anyone else experience this serious intermittent issue?
( Last edited by Big Mac; Aug 21, 2008 at 04:54 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2008, 07:25 AM

The only time I ever get anything even remotely like that is when I'm paging out horribly. If that's the case then it has nothing to do with Firefox and everything to do with you not having enough RAM.

Cold Warrior
Aug 21, 2008, 07:57 AM

I experienced a process-related slow/freezing issue the other day. It was related to the syslogd process. Next time it happens, open up Activity Monitor and sort descending by CPU % to see if it's Firefox or a process.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2008, 03:52 PM

I would open up Activity Monitor if that were possible, but when this happens the GUI becomes more or less frozen. It's not an issue of heavy paging, either.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2008, 07:25 PM

Can you ssh in from another machine and run top?

Even if the window server is freaking out, ssh may still work.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2008, 08:18 PM

I'll have to try that next time. I just don't like leaving a service on unless I know I'll definitely need it.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 21, 2008, 11:39 PM

I may be having a similar issue - see here. BigMac, is your scenario anything similar to this?
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

mkerr64
Senior User
Aug 22, 2008, 12:03 AM

i also have had issues with firefox. always a little buggy
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2008, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by B Gallagher View Post
I may be having a similar issue - see here. BigMac, is your scenario anything similar to this?
I don't think it's the same issue, but it sounds similar.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2008, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I'll have to try that next time. I just don't like leaving a service on unless I know I'll definitely need it.
I just realized that I don't need to worry about that as long as I'm behind my firewall.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2008, 11:30 AM

Are you also behind NAT?

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2008, 02:14 AM

I'd just like to point out, that you may want to drop everything and do a surface scan of your hard drive before you continue on and do other tests.

Complete freeze-ups when you're accessing a certain file/file structure? Sounds like a ticking time bomb of a bad hard drive to me.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2008, 02:41 AM

No, it's not when I'm accessing a file - it's just normal Firefox usage. And it's happened on two completely different Macs. I'm just surprised no one else has experienced it yet, but maybe one of the recent updates cured it already.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2008, 10:21 PM

I've been experiencing freezes and kernel panics. can't seem to pinpoint what functions(s) caused the crashes, though one time i simply clicked on a bookmark and it froze up. there is plenty of ram (1.25G, running 10.4.11), my monitor is not connected and i've been running only one or two programs at a time for now.

one annoying thing it does is not remember my login/password for my workplace mail server.

today i reverted to 2.0.0 and disabled the update function.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

Forum Links
Forum Rules