Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Bypassing mandatory Apple registration?

Bypassing mandatory Apple registration?
Macdevaz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2008, 02:13 PM

One annoying issue is the fact that Apple seems to force one to register a new computer (before being able to use it) with them on start up or reinstallation of the OSX. I also wonder what info is sent to Apple on using software update. I don't want to have to go thru this process. Is it avoidable? Is total privacy with my new Mac (re: Apple) possible?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2008, 02:31 PM

You don't have to register. Just type command-Q to quit the registration.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2008, 02:44 PM

Or just tell it that you're not connecting to the internet at this time and continue through the whole set-up as you would otherwise.

Registration info then won't be sent unless you explicitly tell it to (there's an alias called "Register at Apple" or something in your home folder).

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2008, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Or just tell it that you're not connecting to the internet at this time and continue through the whole set-up as you would otherwise.
The Command-Q option is better. With your method, you have to manually setup your network settings later. Quitting the registration section just skips the registration. Everything else is still done, including network related settings such as network connection, MobileMe, etc.
Vandelay Industries

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2008, 04:01 PM

Ah, I see.

Of course, someone worried about sending registration info is not going to be a MobileMe customer...

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2008, 04:08 PM

True.
Vandelay Industries

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2008, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Macdevaz View Post
I also wonder what info is sent to Apple on using software update. I don't want to have to go thru this process. Is it avoidable?
Yes, you can download all software updates from Apple's website. (I do this sometimes with the "end-of-line" combo updaters, like the one for 10.3.9, so if I ever need to install from the CDs I don't have to re-download the update.)

davidbk1
Dec 29, 2008, 08:39 PM

I'd think Apple puts the load on your end in regard to SU. (I.e. they push the updates and your computer determines if it needs it, rather than having you send info about all your apple software to their server to sort out, but I have no proof of this).

It's going to be very generic information, I'm not sure why you're so paranoid about this. You're running their OS so if they really wanted to spy on you, it wouldn't be too hard (though easily detectable).

You can figure out exactly what it's sending with Wireshark. If you're looking to make sure only approved apps are using your internet connection, a firewall would help a lot. Little Snitch is a very simple one.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 29, 2008, 09:53 PM

From what I've been able to gather, when you run Software Update, your machine looks at what's installed on it and then checks some sort of catalog at Apple for newer versions. That leaves ALL private data on your machine and private.

For what it's worth, that's how Microsoft does it too. 'Course there's no "Genuine Apple" confirmation app you have to download and run to prove you're legit...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules