Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iDVD File Sizes

iDVD File Sizes
obelix112za
Apr 14, 2009, 07:44 PM

Whenever I try to write an .avi (or .mov) movie with iDVd onto DVD, it says: 'content reach maximum duration, pls remove some content' for movies over 700MB. That's without adding chapter markers etc...

I've tried using MPeg Streamclip and Prism to convert them to smaller sizes, but without any luck, they just come out bigger.

Any ideas?

Some movies are from 800MB to 950MB...

Any advice

Thanx
J.H du Plessis
New 20" iMac, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 4GB RAM, 320HDD, Samsung 24" 245B LCD, HP C6180 All In One Wireless Printer
Photo.net Photo's

Cold Warrior
Apr 14, 2009, 07:47 PM

It sounds like you're using a CD-R not a DVD. Double-check the media capacity.

obelix112za  (op)
Apr 15, 2009, 06:04 AM

Nope, I'm using DVD-R to write on, with all the right settings. When the movie file is somewhat over 700MB iDVD gives me the that message.
J.H du Plessis
New 20" iMac, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 4GB RAM, 320HDD, Samsung 24" 245B LCD, HP C6180 All In One Wireless Printer
Photo.net Photo's

Cold Warrior
Apr 15, 2009, 09:59 AM

You could always 'burn' to a disc image/DMG not physical media. Then use Disk Utility to burn the DMG to the DVD-R.

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2009, 10:52 AM

The amount depends more on the length of the file rather than the size, no? So if the movie is 1 hour it will fit, but not if it's 2, etc.

You could try playing around with the compression settings (even though they're not very useful).

obelix112za  (op)
Apr 15, 2009, 12:47 PM

I'm going to try and do that instead, burning the movie to an iso file, will keep you up to date.

Thx
J.H du Plessis
Photo.net Photo's

Forum Links
Forum Rules