Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > External Hard Drive

External Hard Drive
Pinebro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2009, 03:59 PM

I just bought a 500GB external HD. I wanted it to backup my photos, videos and documents only. I have Leopard with Time Machine. I don't want to use the TM feature. I just want to back up my files only.
I cannot find anything in Apples website that discusses this.
HELP!

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
May 29, 2009, 04:32 PM

ibook_steve
May 29, 2009, 04:37 PM

You can specify to not back up anything except your files, if that's what you want, in the TM preferences. But why not just let TM do its thing so you have a full backup of your drive in case of disaster?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Pinebro  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2009, 05:23 PM

Thanks all. In the very beginning I started to do the TM backup of the system, but stopped it. Then I went into Disk Utility and erased the partial backup, then reformated. Will the TM backup start all over again?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 29, 2009, 05:26 PM

As long as Time Machine knows which drive to back up to, it will work.

Pinebro  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2009, 05:28 PM

Thanks.

EndlessMac
Senior User
May 29, 2009, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Pinebro View Post
I just bought a 500GB external HD. I wanted it to backup my photos, videos and documents only. I have Leopard with Time Machine. I don't want to use the TM feature. I just want to back up my files only.
I cannot find anything in Apples website that discusses this.
HELP!
Am I missing some piece of information...because you don't have to use Time Machine to backup anything. An external hard drive is just like your internal hard drive. Just copy over only the files you want to your external hard drive. If you have ever used a USB flash drive or ever had two hard drives installed onto a computer then it's the same process to copy only specific files over...or basically just like copying files from one folder to the other you normally do on your main hard drive. Just make sure to format the external hard drive for Mac because most external hard drives are formatted for PC.

I do manual backups myself instead of using Time Machine mainly because it uses up less of my external hard drive space if I specifically select only a group of files. Also I don't leave all my files on my main hard drive because I eventually move them permanently to my external and DVD backups since my main hard drive isn't as large.
( Last edited by EndlessMac; May 29, 2009 at 05:46 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules