Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Can't transfer off iPhone photos to Mac

Can't transfer off iPhone photos to Mac
dirka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2010, 09:13 PM

I have searched all around and there seems to be no answer to what is appearing to be a common iPhone problem:

I can not transfer off photos from my iPhone to my computer. I have tried using Image Capture and iPhoto but I have had no luck. What's weird is my iPhone connects just fine to iTunes, where I can transfer songs, apps etc… So I know my iPhone is talking fine with my computer (aka not a USB issue).

I have already tried all the basic trouble shooting tips: restart, software update my computer, restart my iPhone, unchecking all the options in Image Capture for what app to open when a camera is connected, deleting iPhone preferences, etc. I have also tried getting my photos off on 3 different computers running either Leopard, Snow Leopard, or Tiger, and my iPhone can only connect in iTunes.

Please help me get my iPhone photos off my camera, emailing them all will take way to long.

Here is a screenshot of what Image Capture shows when my iPhone gets plugged in: Picture 69.png

Thanks!

Cold Warrior
Jun 12, 2010, 09:25 PM

run software update to ensure you have all current packages.

If that doesn't help, use an app like dropbox to sync them off, then do a factory restore of your iphone.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2010, 09:27 PM

iTunes > Devices > iPhone > Photos tab. What are the settings in this tab in iTunes on your Mac?

dirka  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2010, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
run software update to ensure you have all current packages.

If that doesn't help, use an app like dropbox to sync them off, then do a factory restore of your iphone.
Already did that, and using dropbox to sync off 1,500+ photos would be a nightmare.

dirka  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2010, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
iTunes > Devices > iPhone > Photos tab. What are the settings in this tab in iTunes on your Mac?
Not sure exactly what you meant so I posted 2 screenshots.

iTunes.png

iTunes2.png

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2010, 01:01 AM

In your first screenshot, you should have the Sync Photos selected at least, even if your not syncing anything from iPhoto back to your phone. You don't have to any albums selected.

asxless
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2010, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
In your first screenshot, you should have the Sync Photos selected at least, even if your not syncing anything from iPhoto back to your phone. You don't have to any albums selected.
I think the OP is simply trying to transfer photos off the iPhone to any Mac, not necessarily the Mac the iPhone is set to sync with. IOW to get a Mac to see the iPhone as it would any digital camera.

I do this with our 3Gs by turning off ALL sync settings in iTunes on the target Mac (in our case a PowerBook G4 running Tiger that has our photo library). When I plug in the iPhone it shows up as a device in iPhoto and allows me to import the photos in the iPhone's Camera Roll. The process is painfully slow compared to Importing photos off of a 2GB SanDisk SD card. And iPhoto repeatedly imports some photos that were transferred to the iPhone from our .mac account. But it does work.

asxless in iLand

Forum Links
Forum Rules