Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How do you use your mac mini as a media center ?

How do you use your mac mini as a media center ?
polygeny
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2006, 03:48 PM

Hi:

I have a G4 mac mini which I love (currently not getting used
much because of the brand new MBP). I keep hearing
of the mini as being the perfect media center computer
- but I don't know how to use it as such.

Is anyone using their mac mini as a media center solution ? If so,
how are you using it ?

Thanks!

quiklee
Senior User
Nov 2, 2006, 03:39 PM

The Mac Mini is connected to 1TB of Media which is displayed flawlessly on my Bravia.
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2006, 04:48 PM

I am confused. Buy and adapter to plug the Mini into the tv. Use the remote. It is really rather easy.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2006, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tuoder View Post
I am confused. Buy and adapter to plug the Mini into the tv. Use the remote. It is really rather easy.

He has a G4 mini.... no remote/front row....
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

iREZ
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2006, 06:17 PM

wow...really? that easy? will any remote work for the polygenys G4 mac mini...because i wasnt aware that the G4 natively supported remotes. < sarcasm

see what kind of connection your tv has and buy an adapter allowing you to hook up your mini to the television. after that...do yourself a favor and purchase a wireless keyboard mouse setup so you could sit on your couch and still control the sucker and you should be set. as for getting content onto your mac mini..check out the applications forum.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

dulipishi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2006, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ View Post
wow...really? that easy? will any remote work for the polygenys G4 mac mini...because i wasnt aware that the G4 natively supported remotes. < sarcasm

see what kind of connection your tv has and buy an adapter allowing you to hook up your mini to the television. after that...do yourself a favor and purchase a wireless keyboard mouse setup so you could sit on your couch and still control the sucker and you should be set. as for getting content onto your mac mini..check out the applications forum.

DELETED.
( Last edited by dulipishi; Nov 2, 2006 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Deleted for content)

polygeny  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2006, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ View Post

thanks for the help. Since I don't have front row, I guess I will have to get a wireless key/mouse
combo and control it from there. I am bit worried that the mini's weak graphics may not be
able to drive my Sony 36" hdtv. Can it even display HDTV content ? I'd like to find
out before I spend money on this.

But I did not realize that it was just a matter of hooking up to a tv with an adapter. thanks!

supernature
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2006, 03:56 AM

G4 Mini doesn't handle HDTV resolution very well. I used my PowerBook g4 1.5ghz on my TV (as second display), and watching HDTV was choppy, but watchable after getting some used to.

I'd upgrade to the new Mini really.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2006, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh View Post
He has a G4 mini.... no remote/front row....
I knew I was missing something.

twdawson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2006, 04:54 PM

Is using the macs as media centers impratical as when you have a large collection of dvds the size of the hard drive you would need is just not out there.
What i mean is i have encoded the first series of 24 and all the files come to a total just short of 8 gig, and remember that there are five series of this.

I like the idea of a media center but where would you keep all this stuff
Thank you
Thomas from the UK

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2006, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by twdawson View Post
Is using the macs as media centers impratical as when you have a large collection of dvds the size of the hard drive you would need is just not out there.
What i mean is i have encoded the first series of 24 and all the files come to a total just short of 8 gig, and remember that there are five series of this.

I like the idea of a media center but where would you keep all this stuff
Well, it is illegal to copy DVDs in the US anyway. I always figured that MEdia Center computers were for people who usd iTunes alot for digital media.

howardholton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2006, 02:08 AM

1. Someone I know has a nice setup. A series of external drives totaling 3.8tb of storage, no cd's or DVD's used anywhere (exccept rentals) and no CD's. 1tb is about 600-1200 dvd length movies in XVID/DIVX format - 700mb - 1.2 gb / movie, 500 gb for TV shows, 500 gb for music, 1tb for data storage. The rest is scratch space, or waiting to be allocated. All the external drives are attached to a server and he uses an XBOX to access the data over the network via XBMC. I have not setup this on a MAC MINI so this is where my help ends, but you can access the data over the network, so it should not be a problem.

2. It is not illegal to backup your DVD movies, it is a violation of the DMCA to circumvent digital copy protection to backup your dvd's. I have not seen a ruling stating that it is in fact illegal to use the software to backup the DVD's, but I do know that bundling the software in certian ways is illegal. AFAIK it is NOT illegal to backup your analog media, or unprotected media, or use an analog copy method, or to record from a live source. It WOULD be illegal to make those available to download, to show them for public viewing or to sell them. This is based on what I know, but I am NOT A LAWER AND MY OPINION IS PERSONAL AND I ACCEPT NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOU TAKING IT. I do not advise making copies of any of your media, or media that is not owned by you, nor to ever record anything from a live source.

Thanks and I hope this helps.
Please help!! I am trying to ditch Wintel He11 for OS X and am a MAC newbie.

Forum Links
Forum Rules