Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Sleep Apnea

Sleep Apnea
Rumor
Jul 10, 2008, 04:43 PM

Sadly, this is something I have developed over the last few years. I believe it may already be taking its toll, as I am not as "sharp" as I used to be. Since I am one of the many that do not have health coverage, and cannot afford to see a doctor, I am left to deal with this by myself.

Does anyone know of any ways to mitigate the damage done and perhaps reduce the issue altogether?

Glenn, you expertise and wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2008, 04:50 PM

If being overweight is a contributing factor to your sleep apnea, weight loss should, of course, be a primary goal.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Rumor  (op)
Jul 10, 2008, 04:57 PM

I am 200lbs at 5'10". I was speaking with a doctor where I work last night, and he was amazed that I weighed that much. I have a small gut, but other than that am fairly dense with muscle.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2008, 05:03 PM

A friend's mother has it. She used a nighttime mask which blows air into your mouth. Weird looking, loud and initially uncomfortable it apparently helps a lot.

Rumor  (op)
Jul 10, 2008, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
A friend's mother has it. She used a nighttime mask which blows air into your mouth. Weird looking, loud and initially uncomfortable it apparently helps a lot.
I have a friend that needs to sleep with a breathing machine. I am hoping to be able to take care of it well before that happens. I have heard of surgery, but I need to find out how much it cost.

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2008, 06:54 PM

I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea in 2000. (I can't believe it's been that long.) I have a CPAP machine. I've gone through various machines and masks. They help, but I still have problems.

A few years ago, I had major surgery. I had my uvula cut off, upper palate scooped out and tonsils cut out. At the same time, I had my nose worked on, clearing out polyps and worked on my deviated septum. That was a rough recovery. It was supposed to help not only with my apnea, but with my nasal breathing. After all was said and done, it didn't seem to help a lot.

Get a CPAP (make sure you get one with a humidifier) and comfortable mask and try to use it as often as possible. I try to use it every night, but sometimes I don't. I can't go to sleep with it on, so I put it on when I wake up about 2 hours later (best case scenario).

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2008, 08:32 PM

Sorry to hear that, Rumor. My dad got it pretty badly when he was younger, and uses a CPAP mask now. Apparently it has helped him a lot.

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea a few years ago, and have used a mouthpiece at night ever since (at the time, the doctor said my condition wasn't to the point where I needed a mask). The mouthpiece worked really well the first 3 years or so, but the problem has returned to a degree that I'm pretty frigging tired *all* of the time. I never really feel rested, and I totally know what you mean by not being as "sharp" anymore. I'm afraid a mask is going to be the next step for me, but I'm not really looking forward to this.

Anyway, visiting a doctor is going to be the best route to tackle it. The first thing he or she is likely to tell you is that you need a sleep study done. They'll put you up for a night, with wires attached to you, and make you wake up every couple of hours. From the study, the doctor will determine the best way to remedy the problem.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 11, 2008, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
I have a friend that needs to sleep with a breathing machine. I am hoping to be able to take care of it well before that happens. I have heard of surgery, but I need to find out how much it cost.
About 85% of all NFL players have OSA. One statistic I read said about 35% of all men over 30 have OSA. A lot of it has to do with neck size. Being overweight is a factor, but it is not a root cause, both my brother (5'10" - 160 lbs.) and my uncle (5'8" - 150 lbs.) have it. A friend of mine who is a twig, 5'9" 130 lbs. has it as well. I have a very large neck and I developed my neck muscles when I wrestled and played football in high school. It is very hereditary as well.

I wear a CPAP [Continuous Positive Air Pressure] machine and it has changed my life. It took me about 4 different masks before I found one that worked well. I use a nasal cushion model mask.

It really isn't that expensive to take care of. Buying a CPAP machine requires a prescription from a doctor, and a sleep study will run about $1k. A CPAP is about $200-300 and a mask is about $100. So, about $1500 will get you a sleep study and a CPAP. The new machines are very quiet and work well. We used to sleep with a fan on as my wife likes the white noise and you can't even hear the CPAP over the fan. The only way using a CPAP has affected me is I am unable to backpack camp anymore as I am unable to pack and carry a battery and a CPAP machine along with everything else I need. So now we just car camp and camp in places near hiking trails and make day hikes. Also, you'll want to have hte CPAP in your carry-on bag when flying, so it limits what you can take on a flight with you. I don't even take naps without my CPAP.

I have discussed surgery with a couple different doctors that specialize in sleep apnea and they said that with surgery, there is only about a 40% chance of success, and "success" is rated as a lower pressure on the CPAP machine. Only about 10% of surgeries will eliminate the need for CPAP use.

I buy my CPAP equipment at http://www.cpap.com

Do NOT read or join any OSA/CPAP forums. I warn you. Reading the comments on youtube is far more enlightening and fulfilling.

You will look silly and feel like a complete tool wearing it, but it will extend your life and highly improve your quality of life the first night you wear it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2008, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by placebo1969 View Post
I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea in 2000. (I can't believe it's been that long.) I have a CPAP machine. I've gone through various machines and masks. They help, but I still have problems.

A few years ago, I had major surgery. I had my uvula cut off, upper palate scooped out and tonsils cut out. At the same time, I had my nose worked on, clearing out polyps and worked on my deviated septum. That was a rough recovery. It was supposed to help not only with my apnea, but with my nasal breathing. After all was said and done, it didn't seem to help a lot.

Get a CPAP (make sure you get one with a humidifier) and comfortable mask and try to use it as often as possible. I try to use it every night, but sometimes I don't. I can't go to sleep with it on, so I put it on when I wake up about 2 hours later (best case scenario).
My dad suffers with sleep apnea, and had the exact same surgery with just as disappointing of results. He is also a long-time CPAP user.

We think my brother has it, and I'm showing some signs as well. I'm glad Rumor brought this up...

Railroader
Banned
Jul 11, 2008, 12:36 AM

Here is the mask I use. It is made by Puritan-Bennet. It allows you to sleep on your stomach with your head turned to the side. The problem I had with masks was you can't sleep on your stomach because the mask would be dislodged by the pillow, you'd lose a seal and wake up.

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2008, 01:21 AM

I use the Ultra Mirage II. I have an appointment with the doctor next month and may try some new masks.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2008, 02:33 AM

What are the symptoms of apnea?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2008, 02:51 AM

Those things look terrifying.

Rumor  (op)
Jul 11, 2008, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
Snoring, and stopping breathing while sleeping is what has been happening to me. The lack of oxygen over time can cause short term memory loss, and other memory related issues. I have also heard of heart failure while not breathing.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2008, 04:57 AM

Have any of you guys tried changing sleep positions and or change the type of your mattress? Some people really do sleep uncomfortably I could imagine breathing problems resulting from that...
Good luck all!

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Rumor  (op)
Jul 11, 2008, 04:59 AM

I try to sleep on my side as much as possible, but often roll onto my back, which is the worst position for me.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2008, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Snoring, and stopping breathing while sleeping is what has been happening to me. The lack of oxygen over time can cause short term memory loss, and other memory related issues. I have also heard of heart failure while not breathing.
I guess you have to be told that you do it. I don't think I do but those masks are kinda cool looking.

"Yeah, make fun of my bluetooth headset bitch."

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Rumor  (op)
Jul 11, 2008, 05:09 AM

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2008, 07:37 AM

I'm still creeped out by how it will infiltrate into the dream I'm having (I'll start choking, or get choked in the dream), and there's that one moment of "waitaminnit... I'm dreaming, but... I... can... feel... this... AHHHHHHH!", and then shoot awake with a huge intake of breath.

Though, after reading this thread I consider myself lucky, my case is pretty mild.

andi*pandi
Jul 11, 2008, 08:35 AM

my husband also has apnea, is not overweight. His mask looks more like the second one posted. I was surprised by how quiet the machine is. Certainly much quieter than all that snoring.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2008, 09:10 AM

I need to get checked for that as well. I am constantly tired, and I'm told that I snore quite loudly. I'm also overweight, which I am working on.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Railroader
Banned
Jul 11, 2008, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Those things look terrifying.
I like to think of it as my jet fighter mask.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 11, 2008, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
Falling asleep in situations where you wouldn't normally fall asleep, ie. watching TV, driving, sitting for a while. Waking up more tired than you did going to sleep. Sore throat, sinuses when you wake up. Lethargy, sore uvula, sinus issues, memory problems, lack of alertness. Lack of dreams. I noticed that small cuts weren't healing while I slept but might actually get slightly worse while sleeping.

My study showed that I mentally woke up 60 times and hour and stopped breathing 80 times an hour. I would fall asleep, choke, and wake up in less than a minute. But I never really became awake enough to be aware of it. My blood/oxygen content dropped to 79%. This causes the heart to work overtime to keep up which leads to an enlarged heart and eventually heart failure.

If you are even considering it, GET A SLEEP STUDY DONE!!!

Railroader
Banned
Jul 11, 2008, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Powerbook View Post
Have any of you guys tried changing sleep positions and or change the type of your mattress? Some people really do sleep uncomfortably I could imagine breathing problems resulting from that...
Good luck all!

PB.
Tried everything. Even those stupid nasal strips, which are a complete waste of time and money.

Tried different pillows, mattresses, air purifiers, allergy medicines, sleep positions, not drinking alcohol before sleeping... everything.

If you have OSA, you have OSA.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2008, 11:26 AM

My dad uses his mask in a "unique" way...

He attaches the mask, turns on the machine, and then pulls the covers completely over his head. I'm not sure if he likes the comfort or secure feeling; he won't say why he does it. So you see this big lump under the covers, with a hose traveling up the side of the bed, disappearing under the sheets.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 11, 2008, 11:47 AM

My dad uses his mask in a "unique" way...

He attaches the mask, turns on the machine, and then pulls the covers completely over his head. I'm not sure if he likes the comfort or secure feeling; he won't say why he does it. So you see this big lump under the covers, with a hose traveling up the side of the bed, disappearing under the sheets.
Funny.

You do tend to develop a ritual about the mask. I position my self standing beside the bed, before I put the mask on, I bend down and press the "on" button, then I try to jump in bed, put the mask on, and get under the covers and position the mask before it reaches full power. Lastly I get into a comfortable sleep position and tweak the fit of the mask as it tends to change per sleeping position. Minutes later I am out for the night.

I can't stand the suffocating feeling of putting the mask on before I turn the CPAP on. I know instantly when the power blips or goes out as I wake up with a suffocating feeling.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2008, 12:57 PM

Does it make you feel kinda/sorta like an astronaut?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2008, 12:59 PM

This is by far the craziest thing I've learned in a while.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2008, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Unrelated note: every time I see your new sig, it feels like you're addressing me.

Also, I'm almost through season 1, and I actually really, really, really like it...

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2008, 01:19 PM

Have you tried sleeping on your stomach yet?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Tiresias
Jul 11, 2008, 01:24 PM

Sorry to hear about your Sleep Apnea. Just be thankful you don't have a drool problem. I wake up with a sopping wet pillow and the dry horrors almost every morning. What's up with that?

Railroader
Banned
Jul 11, 2008, 03:47 PM

Does it make you feel kinda/sorta like an astronaut?
Stealth Bomber pilot. I don't use my humidifier.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 11, 2008, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
It is fairly common.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2008, 04:02 PM

My dad had sleep apnea so bad (after he lost weight, and the machine, etc.) that he had to have his upper and lower jaw moved forward by about 1/2 cm to open up the air way.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Tiresias
Jul 11, 2008, 04:07 PM

If I were a Starwars nerd with sleep apnea I would convert my breathing apparatus into a Vader helmet.

Rumor  (op)
Jul 13, 2008, 12:34 AM

It sounds like my most likely option is to have a CPAP. I was hoping to hear better news.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 13, 2008, 12:41 PM

The nasal strips are only good for nasal-related snoring, not apnea. The vast majority of people with sleep apnea have their most trouble while on their backs, because of the anatomy of the problem. Mostly, the throat muscles relax when you sleep and they allow the airway to collapse to some degree, obstructing airflow to some extent, maybe more, maybe less. If you're on your side, the airway collapses very differently because the jaw doesn't move backward into it, and the airflow is left basically intact.

The easiest thing to do is to try a set of pillows that keep you on your side. A combination of a foam wedge pillow (for the head and neck) and a large "body pillow" (for the back) is where you should start. A bunch of pillows is way more affordable than a lot of hardware, and if simple positioning alleviates the problem then you don't need the sleep study. On the other hand, if it doesn't get better with positioning, you NEED that sleep study—and you can detail what you tried that didn't work, very important in setting you up with what you need.

Sleep apnea is often implicated in issues like drivers falling asleep at the wheel or machinery operators making sleep-related mistakes. This is really serious. Snoring is the least of your worries; getting enough quality sleep to be a functioning person who is safe to be around is very important. Try the pillows—try very hard to stay in a workable position—but if they don't do the job, look for ways to afford that sleep study and the prescription for a CPAP if needed.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Rumor  (op)
Jul 13, 2008, 11:51 PM

Thanks Glenn.

Forum Links
Forum Rules