Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Sopranos finale

The Sopranos finale
stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2007, 10:09 PM

WTF! 8 years of watching just for the worst series finale ever on TV!! David Chase should be not allowed to write anymore!! he sucks!!
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

shinji
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2007, 10:12 PM

Yeah, I feel violated.

That last scene was pretty retarded.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 10, 2007, 10:15 PM

i'm all jittery
ice

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2007, 10:15 PM

What happened? Did Tony die?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

stevesnj  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2007, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
What happened? Did Tony die?
no just The Sopranos died
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2007, 10:51 PM

I had a feeling it would be left unresolved. I think one of the best parts was Catsopher.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

JFischel
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2007, 11:46 PM

I think it was David Chase giving people the big finger. I mean it was worthy, but Chase always said it was his story and he'd do what he wanted with it and end it when he felt like it.
20 Inch Intel iMac * MacBook 2 GHz * 60GB iPod * 4GB iPhone

highstakes
Senior User
Jun 11, 2007, 02:29 AM

A J in the army..wth??

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2007, 03:55 AM

yea... everything was unresolved... but how else could they have ended it? life goes on.... I think that's what they're trying to say... the whole last scene was about how that's their lives... the kind of life they're used to. always watching your back, not knowing.... it started with family, it ended with family. that's their life.

I mean, I woulda preferred something different, but I can see where they're coming from.

What other choices did they have?

- Kill Tony Soprano?
but that's a lame way to end a series...

- Have AJ commit suicide?

- Kill the whole Soprano family?
that's a bit morbid of an ending

- Take out the whole NJ crew?
not likely

- Crazy NY/NJ battle?
this would be awesome, but not typical of the series

- Bring Dr. Melfi back in?
that would have been good. a bit more closure instead of the way they ended that relationship

- The Sopranos go into witness protection?
once you're in, you're in for life.

- Sopranos run?
not the life style

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2007, 04:05 AM

I agree, chipchen. There could have been more substance, though.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2007, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I had a feeling it would be left unresolved. I think one of the best parts was Catsopher.
A friend pointed out to me the Cat could have been a reincarnated Adrienna staring at Christopher's pic.

I'm sad the Sopranos is over, but they left it open for a Sopranos movie!

Ado
Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2007, 09:48 AM

Actually not as dissapointing as u may think...Take another look.

Quote:
OK, at first I was really angry. I mean really, really angry. I can't believe though that no-one has posted by now what happened. The only thing I saw that was right, was that in the last scene we are seeing through Tony's eyes. Remember when he was speaking with Bobby...basically saying that you don't see it happening?

So here is what I found out. The guy at the bar is also credited as Nikki Leotardo. The same actor played him in the first part of season 6 during a brief sit down concerning the future of Vito. That wasn't that long ago. Apparently, he is the nephew of Phil. Phil's brother Nikki Senior was killed in 1976 in a car accident. Absolutely Genius!!!! David Chase is truly rewarding the true fans who pay attention to detail.

So the point would have been that life continues and we may never know the end of the Sopranos. But if you pay attention to the history, you will find that all the answers lie in the characters in the restaurant. The trucker was the brother of the guy who was robbed by Christopher in Season 2. Remember the DVD players? The trucker had to identify the body. The boy scouts were in the train store and the brothas at the end were the ones who tried to kill Tony and only clipped him in the ear (was that season 2 or 3?).

Absolutely incredible!!!! There were three people in the restaurant who had reason to kill Tony and then it just ends. This was Chase's way of proving that he will not escape his past. It will not go on forever despite that he would like it to "don't stop". Not the fans!!! Tony would like it to keep going but just as we have to say goodbye, so does he. No more Tony and I guess we are supposed to be happy that Meadow didn't get clipped as well (she would have been between the shooter and Tony) since she is the only one worth a crap in that family.

Thank you David Chase for making it so obscure that I feel bad for hating you at first. Absolutely amazing!!!!"

Did anyone notice that Tony was wearing the shirt he first wore in season one?
On second viewing i have noticed soooo many easter eggs and call backs from past episodes... I think this episode will be talked about for weeks to come as more is discovered... As for the Cat and Paulie...I wonder whats going on there...?!!
( Last edited by Ado; Jun 11, 2007 at 09:58 AM. )

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2007, 11:42 AM

Ado. You rock. That post was awesome.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 11, 2007, 11:58 AM

I thought the guy came out of the bathroom and gave Tony a headshot (he was content, eating onion rings and hanging out with his family).

Nice post Ado!
ice

bstone
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2007, 01:30 PM

I've never seen a single episode. I hardly know what it is about. Can you give me a 2 sentence, max, sum-up of the entire show?
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2007, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by bstone View Post
I've never seen a single episode. I hardly know what it is about. Can you give me a 2 sentence, max, sum-up of the entire show?
86 episodes? As they would say on the show --- Fugedaboudit!!!
Don't feel bad, though. I'd love to share a nice plate of hummous and a bottle of Macabi with you next time I'm in Jersualem.

שלום וכל טוב
( Last edited by selowitch; Jun 11, 2007 at 07:22 PM. )

Ado
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2007, 12:41 AM

Anyone think the opening scene of tony laying down looked a little like he was in a casket with the moody lighting?..

I love AJ, his character in the last 5 epsiodes was funny...I wish they had of done this sooner... I want his GF, his new job and his M3...eheheheh.....Crime does pay....

Some are saying the cat is Adrienna...Some saying its Christopher as he lays down with Paulie in front of Satrielli's.......Maybe its "pussy"?.......Have to watch again.

Theres even talk taht the FBI bugged the photo and the cat could hear the electronics..Hence thats how they knew Tony was at the resturaunt and that he "did" die towards the end as the FBI tipped someone off...

I dont think he died, as noone knew where he was.

What do you guys think?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2007, 01:11 AM

Maybe it was the audience that got whacked.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2007, 02:04 AM

I only watched up to season 2 but I want to know what all the fuss is about. Is there a detailed description or clip of this "horrible" ending?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2007, 02:06 AM

It's called bittorrent.

bstone
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2007, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by selowitch View Post
86 episodes? As they would say on the show --- Fugedaboudit!!!
Don't feel bad, though. I'd love to share a nice plate of hummous and a bottle of Macabi with you next time I'm in Jersualem.

שלום וכל טוב
Hah.

I would also like to share in the meal when I am next in Jerusalem. Lived there for 2 years...will return soon, G-d willing.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

anonymac
Baninated
Jun 12, 2007, 02:37 AM

The sopranos WAS the worst show ever. It proves that he dumber a show, the more people like it. When boring deskjockies at your work are talking about fictional mobsters and "whacking" people like they have a Ph.D. in it, it becomes a joke. Nevermind that the show was a unabashed and blatent rip off of Goodfellas too.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2007, 02:57 AM

Well, that's a contrarian view, considering that most everyone regards The Sopranos as the best serial drama ever.

Ado
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2007, 06:36 AM

Sopranos at its best was unbeatable as a drama.

I have now moved to the Shield and am hooked completely.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2007, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by anonymac View Post
The sopranos WAS the worst show ever. It proves that he dumber a show, the more people like it. When boring deskjockies at your work are talking about fictional mobsters and "whacking" people like they have a Ph.D. in it, it becomes a joke. Nevermind that the show was a unabashed and blatent rip off of Goodfellas too.
Posts like this make me laugh.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Forum Links
Forum Rules