Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Hardcore iMac Users - What's Next To Do?

Hardcore iMac Users - What's Next To Do? (Page 2)
iSteve  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2006, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by HAGEhead
HEY GUYS! I'm starting to get disappointed with the wrench I bought. I don't have any bolts! What do you guys do with your wrenches?
Take it back or shove it.. The choice is yours, idiot.

piot
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2006, 06:20 PM

HEY GUYS! I'm starting to get disappointed with the condoms I bought. I don't know any girls! What do you guys do with your condoms?
Piot

Peter753
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2006, 12:21 AM

Condom Balloon Animals?

Fun for the whole family.

badnewsblair
Senior User
Jul 6, 2006, 12:25 AM

Have your fun while you still can.

This thread is cruisin' for a lock!
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

iRussel
Jul 6, 2006, 12:45 AM

I think that anyone who does make the switch over to a Mac should realize that yes they are very user friendly but after using Windows there will be a learning curve with OS X. It's all new and the fact that its all new can be somewhat overwhelming at first.Hang in there and before you know it you'll be a Mac Addict like most of the people on this forum.
iMac Intel 20" Core Duo 2GHz, 2GB Ram, 256MB VM, 250GB HD
2x300GB Lacie Brick HD's (Striped Raid) / Logitech s530 Wireless Keyboard Mouse Combo
iPod 60GB With Video

memory-minus
Senior User
Jul 11, 2006, 09:03 AM

iSteve, do you live anywhere near an Apple retail store? For $99/year you can get ProCare and sit down with a "genius" or "creative" for an hour a week and pick their brain about all things Mac.

http://www.apple.com/retail/procare/

It's pretty much perfect for someone who is new to Mac.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2006, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by memory-minus
iSteve, do you live anywhere near an Apple retail store?
He's already said twice that he doesn't.

iSteve, assuming you're not a troll, you do have to admit that your initial post was a little bit overwrought. Apple dying because you can't figure out their consumer-level software? Anyway, as others have said, it sounds like you really need to just do more exploring of your computer on your own, or use the Help documentation that comes with most applications (conveniently located in the "Help" menu). Figuring out how to rip a CD in iTunes, for example, would have been very easy to do if you had just typed "rip CD" into the iTunes' Help search box. The second search result that comes up is called "Adding songs from CDs to your library," and contains the same step-by-step instructions for ripping CDs that you have already received from other posters in this thread.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

memory-minus
Senior User
Jul 11, 2006, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey
He's already said twice that he doesn't.
Oh well, I skimmed the thread and didn't see it, but I see it now. Just trying to be helpful.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2006, 03:54 PM

Don't worry MM, it happens.
Agent69

belfast-biker
Jul 11, 2006, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by iSteve
Today, I accomplished nothing with the iMac other then finding out what it can't do.

Sounds like a damned good first step in any journey iStevie. On a PeeCee, just getting to that point may have taken weeks.

TheTraveller
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2006, 02:56 AM

That whole thing about "Macs being gone in a year" was pretty funny. I don't know, maybe I'm just imagining it, but it seems to me there's tons more Mac software than there's ever been, the developer community is strong and getting stronger, and the platform has lots of forward momentum. It's true that for a while there, back in the mid-to-late 90's, it did seem that Apple was about dead, but to me, it appears to be truly thriving today, and Windows Vista will probably only help it along.

Arju
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2006, 04:28 PM

For a computer use who has been using computers for roughly twice the amount of time that I have you know surprisingly little.

Firstly, iTunes is one of the easiest programs to use
Secondly, for an "experienced" computer user you did not know anything about Windows Vista?
Thirdly, you clearly did not research this purchase. I read online for a week and then went to an Applestore and purchased my MacBook.

Now I understand that maybe you are not the experienced user you say you are... you have owned 9 computers which is fine and dandy but plenty of people own things and never really understand them. My suggestion is to stop worrying about Apple going broke, users flaming you and your now deflated ego and check out some help pages on apple.com or google "How to make a podcast". By being lazy and trying to get others to solve your problems and by switching to negative statements you will not get very far.

superfula
Senior User
Jul 15, 2006, 02:59 AM

And it's a proven fact that Apple will NOT last in the business if they don't make changes and get more Mac's in the household, and more software out on the counter for their computers. Or don't you understand past the 1st grade level? If they are not selling enough computers how will they survive?? Pay bills, their employee's. etc.
Steve Steve Steve. Do you have any idea how much money Apple makes on Macintosh computers? Any idea at all how much money they have in the bank? Now if you had at least a rough idea of those numbers, you'd know Apple is in no danger of going out of business anytime soon.

LOL.. Just reading your post, makes it sound like you are talking about yourself. improper use of words and spelling.
All of the words he used were used properly, and from what I can tell, spelled correctly as well. Honestly, Steve, that has got to be one of the most junior highish statements I've ever seen. It's becoming painfully obvious that you probably aren't even old enough to have owned most of the computers you listed.

Does anyone else think this iMac is his first computer?

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2006, 04:43 AM

I think he may have had a Fisher Price model until recently.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2006, 07:40 PM

Ok guys, I think iSteve gets the point.

iSteve  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2006, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by superfula
Steve Steve Steve. Do you have any idea how much money Apple makes on Macintosh computers? Any idea at all how much money they have in the bank? Now if you had at least a rough idea of those numbers, you'd know Apple is in no danger of going out of business anytime soon.

All of the words he used were used properly, and from what I can tell, spelled correctly as well. Honestly, Steve, that has got to be one of the most junior highish statements I've ever seen. It's becoming painfully obvious that you probably aren't even old enough to have owned most of the computers you listed.

Does anyone else think this iMac is his first computer?
Do the math ASSHOLE!

Born 1966! That makes me 40 years old asshole. Would you like an ID with that idiot

I have more important things to do with my life then fight with a bunch of ****ing teenagers who don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

You ALL suck!

But for those few who gave valuable information and help.. THANK YOU

I have found a much better resoure then this crappy ass childish place!

hickey
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2006, 02:26 AM

which resource? Appletalker?

belfast-biker
Jul 21, 2006, 02:47 AM

Born 1966! That makes me 40 years old asshole.

Indeed.

And a 40 year old assh0le who clearly got out of the wrong side of mamas bed this morning...

dandbj
Jul 21, 2006, 10:11 AM

To the original poster...

You did not do enough personal research before coming to this board with a post like that. Go buy a good instructional book like Mac OS X 10.4 for Dummies. That series is very good. There are other great titles for beginners. I have little patience with the intellectually lazy. Just sitting in front of a Mac will not tell you how to do a podcast or a webpage. If there are things you can't do out of the box, then think outseide the box. Buy a good book, lock yourself away for a week, then come back. Most of us will be more inclined to take you seriously then.

teszeract
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2006, 07:13 PM

Enough.
Really.
Childish.
Behaviour.

Ask and people will (or should) help. And speaking of help -- most applications' last menu item is "Help".

Rodster
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2006, 11:53 AM

Hi, iSteve first off I purchased my first Mac back in 2001 and i'm on my second one. I use both a PC and a Mac. True there are certain software I use on my PC for business I can't find a good equivelent for on the Mac and it goes both ways. There's certain software I prefer on the Mac over what's offered on WIndowsXP.

To answer your original question there are many things you can do on a Mac it's just a learning curve that's all. The ideas that some suggested are quite true, play around with things you won't break things under OSX.

You say you live in PA, here are some suggestions for you as far as getting more out of your Mac. If you have a CompUSA (Apple In Store Rep) or better yet a local Mac shop they usually offer 101 and advanced classes on the cheap. They'll help you get more out of your Mac. Like I said earlier I use two types of computers and my WindowsXP system is strictly built for gaming. My case looks like a G5PM but in black brushed aluminum.

Try putting things in perspective, OSX does certain things differently than XP and vice versa. As you become more familiar using your Mac things WILL become second nature.

Don't give up.

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 30, 2006, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rodster
Hi, iSteve first off I purchased my first Mac back in 2001 and i'm on my second one. I use both a PC and a Mac. True there are certain software I use on my PC for business I can't find a good equivelent for on the Mac and it goes both ways. There's certain software I prefer on the Mac over what's offered on WIndowsXP.

To answer your original question there are many things you can do on a Mac it's just a learning curve that's all. The ideas that some suggested are quite true, play around with things you won't break things under OSX.

You say you live in PA, here are some suggestions for you as far as getting more out of your Mac. If you have a CompUSA (Apple In Store Rep) or better yet a local Mac shop they usually offer 101 and advanced classes on the cheap. They'll help you get more out of your Mac. Like I said earlier I use two types of computers and my WindowsXP system is strictly built for gaming. My case looks like a G5PM but in black brushed aluminum.

Try putting things in perspective, OSX does certain things differently than XP and vice versa. As you become more familiar using your Mac things WILL become second nature.

Don't give up.
If everyone could ignore the disputes and childish behaviour, and post a kind, helpful post like Rodster just did, we'd all be better off.

iSteve brought a knife to a gun fight. That much is true. But none of us, save a few, have resisted fighting back. It's in our best interest as the Apple community to make sure new Mac users feel welcome and understood. For some of us, things came easily. But for others, learning on the Mac was a burden from hell. Instead of fighting iSteve and trying to protect our over-inflated egos and status as Apple fans, why not calm him down and walk him through it? He may have come to us with ruffled feathers, but he came to us. That alone gives him the right to a welcoming, and fair reply.

I personally think this topic should be locked and deleted, with an apology from MacNN. And, an apology from iSteve.
 Certified AppleCare Technician

GTKpower
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2006, 06:01 PM

I'm not sure what to make of this thread. Anyone who is/was a PC/Windows user should be able to pick up OS X and be ripping, burning, surfing, organizing, creating, in very little time.

I can do just as much with OS X as I did with WinXP, except it takes fewer (and better) apps, less time, and it all happens in a gorgeous evironment.

A reasonably literate computer user should be productive enough early on to be more or less satisfied with everything - learning curves won't be steep. iSteve, how extensive is your experience with computers? How long did it take you to become accustomed to the XP interface?

Sure, I had a few questions in the beginning. I've only had my iMac since May, but OS X and Mac apps feel comfortable. Like second nature. Podcasts are a snap. I haven't tried to build a webpage yet, but I'm sure that'll be just as easy. Ripping DVDs and the like (never mind CDs, we're way past that) is ridiculously easy. I've already done some mixing in GarageBand, mostly my own voiceover stuff to music as part of a corporate presentation. Took me no more than about five minutes to figure things out and really have a blast.

Are there things I haven't figured out yet? Sure. But as a computer-literate individual, I can spare myself the negativity and pessimism because I know that I'll get the hang of whatever I attempt. It's a Mac after all, things are supposed to be easier, and they ARE easier. Just pay attention to this important caveat: things are easier, but a bit *different.*

So ease up on the negativity, iSteve. As for industry-specific or specialty software, remember that most of that is released for the PC first, and then ported to other platforms. There is industry-specialized software that only runs on OS X, however, so it goes both ways. But of course, you can install WindowsXP with Boot Camp and it will run very well.

Cheers.

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2006, 04:44 PM

Well, in Steve's defense, if it is all new to him, it could be confusing. I use Windows XP, Mac OS X, linux (KDE/GNOME) and they are all a little different and when you are used to doing things one way, you can often get tripped up.
24 inch iMac 2.4, 320GB HD, 4 GB RAM
500 GB Ext FW Drv, 120 GB Ext FW Drv

Forum Links
Forum Rules