Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Problems after Airport update

Problems after Airport update
money69
Jan 27, 2007, 09:29 PM

After the latest Airport update a couple days ago when I leave my laptop and come back I cannot connect to anything, I have to reboot my mac for the internet to start working, anyone else experiencing these problems after the Airport update? Is this a known issue?

Zarqawi's Eye
Baninated
Jan 27, 2007, 11:39 PM

This should be in the networking forum.

What is your laptop - macbook, macbook pro, powerbook, etc? What version of the mac os?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2007, 03:39 AM

Have you tried turning AP off and back on again?

Have you tried sleeping/waking your Mac rather than rebooting it?

Does deleting
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.internetconfig.plist
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.internetconfigpriv.plist
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.internetconnect.plist
help?

There's a lot of information about these AP update issues at MacFixIt.

Spartan24
Jan 29, 2007, 09:04 PM

Hi Guys,

The airport in my iMac Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo) also got hosed by this latest Airport Update. Personally I have tried everything I can think of, including Simons comments of deleting the plist files, rebooted, restarted everything, changed security setting to none... Nothing seems to work.

I do believe my problem, and maybe some others, is because I use a Belkin Pre "N" or "N" router and this software update must have done something to "N" functionality with the internal airport card on my system. Airport had been working just fine up to this installation. It is interesting to note that my Belkin router appears to show up as an additional open airport connection (Belkin54G) that is available and will in fact, (albeit very slowly) connect to the internet. I am using it now on the iMac.

I have a PB G4 that I did not update and it is working fine with the old (original) encrypted connection.

Hope this helps lead some of you towards a potential solution..

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 29, 2007, 10:42 PM

Spartan, can you be a bit more specific than "got hosed"? What are you seeing in terms of error messages, AirPort icon behavior, etc.?

I like Simon's idea-frequently plist settings "get hosed" somehow and simply deleting them removes the problem. OS X (or an appropriate helper app) rebuilds a new plist with default/new settings and all is then well.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Spartan24
Jan 29, 2007, 11:23 PM

Hi GH

Sorry, by hosed I mean I cannot connect to the router or the internet thru my normal airport network. As I mentioned, I have restarted, rebooted all devices including the computer, tried different connections including resetting the router to no encryption, deleting plists, puttting the computer to sleep and waking it up.. yada, yada, yada. However, for some strange reason, my system is showing an additional airport network now, based on the apparent "G" settings in my Belkin router and is the only way I can connect, wired or wirelessly. The error messages are that the browser cannot connect to the internet.

This gets even more weird when I cannot see this other network on my laptop which is located next to my desktop. Also, FWIW, although the router is no more than 5 feet away from the iMac, the signal on this new available network is only showing 2 bars instead of my normal full airport signal.. This is almost like being on dial-up compared to pre-update.

Hope this helps.

bankbot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2007, 11:40 PM

I have the same problem. But I'm not at home and so I can't check to see if my wireless router is a belkin. Is there a way to undo the update or install an old update?

JayMan8081
Jan 30, 2007, 12:23 AM

I am also seeing the same issue and I do NOT have a Pre-N router. I am using a standard 802.11G router. Since the airport update when I wake the MacBook it cannot connect thru the airport card to any network until I reboot the computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jan 30, 2007, 02:53 AM

Hmm, I sense badness with the last AirPort update...

After I updated, I started getting kernel panics...up to two per day when doing anything that acessed the network; sometimes it was starting Firefox, once it was starting iChat...always something network related. It even happend when waking up from sleep with no apps loaded; as soon as I saw four bars on the AirPort icon, panic ensued.

In the crashlogs, the traceback pointed towards the AirPort card--but I was DUMB and deleted the "previous system" folder before saving the crash logs so I can't post them

I did an archive and install, making sure NOT to run the Airport security update to see what happens.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2007, 04:37 AM

To those of you seeing 'new networks' with reduced signal strength and drop-outs: Have you tried removing all traces of your old network settings? That means removing them from the list of preferred networks, removing all AP and InternetConfig plist files, WEP/WPA authentication information in Keychain, etc.? Does that change the behavior?

Spartan24
Jan 30, 2007, 12:03 PM

As an update to my last, I have just discovered that my weird "new" network I'm seeing since the update (Belkin54G) was caused by my neighbor installing a new router last night! Absolutely incredible timing! Therefore that weirdness is now accounted for. Thanks Simon for thesuggestions or I never would have discovered this.

Anyway, I simply cannot get the iMac to connect to the same network that it was previously assigned on that Pre "N" router (which is the same one that my other 2 mac laptops are presently using). I just set-up my Airport Express and can now connect thru it just fine.

I have no clue what was contained in that most recent update but I sure hope they can send another update fixing this soon.

Spartan24
Jan 30, 2007, 03:40 PM

Final update to this is that I finally decided to start from scratch with the hardware. I shut everything down again and reconnected evrything piece by piece but still could not get the airport to connect to the network. Strangely, the wired ports wouldn't work at all and there was no way to get into the router settings.

Figuring that I had already wasted way too much time with this, I picked up a new linksys router "draft n" and brought it home and connected it to everything. (wished I could have waited for the new Airport..damn) I used the same wireless name and password along with the same encryption as the previous Belkin and everything is working fine. All computers picked up the network, even the networked printer. So life is all good again now and all I can say is that the previous router was working fine up until the airport update. Maybe it's just coincidence, but I'll be curious to see the resolve of the others issues with this update.

Thanks again to all for your assistance.

ttammatty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2007, 03:23 AM

I am also having an issue with my airport connection.

My issue is involving DHCP. My DHCP lease will not update. The only way I can renew my lease is to reboot my mac. I have tried multiple wireless routers and they don't give out a lease for the airport, but do on the wired port. I also have no issues with my Windows wireless access.

This issue appeared a couple of hours after I performed a system update. If anyone has any ideas as how to roll back the Apple updates, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Matt.

ttammatty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2007, 03:34 AM

Guys, Please digg this forum post - we need to get it resolved.

Digg It

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2007, 05:09 AM

Try sleeping and then waking your Mac. That should help you get around your DHCP lease issue w/o needing to reboot. Now that's not really a solution, but at least it takes less time/effort.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 1, 2007, 09:30 AM

...or you could turn off the AirPort card, wait a moment, then turn it back on. This works in situations where sleep/wake won't.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2007, 09:42 AM

Oh. I assumed that he had already tried that. You're absolutely right - obviously cycling the card is the first thing to try. If that doesn't work I'd try sleep/wake. And only as the very last measure I'd consider the reboot.

JayMan8081
Feb 1, 2007, 09:59 AM

Yeah I tried cycling the airport card and it didn't work for me. At the moment I can't consistently get the problem to occur. Sometimes I'll come back and the airport will still have a connection and other times it won't. I just wish Apple would fix this or that it would happen consistently so it was easier to troubleshoot.

Airlock
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2007, 01:09 PM

We've been hit by this in our office with most of the Intel based machines being effected.

In some cases putting your machine to sleep and re-awakening it brings back the network. Most of us are having to restart frequently trhgouout the day though.

ttammatty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2007, 10:24 AM

Yeah, I tried all that guys...

As a previous poster said - it happens very inconsistantly.

So far, I have had only 6 digg's on the forum - so maybe it's not all that prevelent? But it's really getting me frustrated! I'm glad to hear any more suggestions! I am actuatally a sys engineer in the MS world, so my troubleshooting prowess isn't all that sophisticated towards the mac!

Thanks again,

Matt.

Forum Links
Forum Rules