Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Downgrading from Lion to Snow Leopard

Downgrading from Lion to Snow Leopard (Page 2)
MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 30, 2011, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by l008com View Post
I have to say, the speed of 10.6 is really blowing me away. I didn't notice just how much slower Lion was until I went back. Apps open so much faster. The system boots so much faster. Really everything is faster. I really have very little good to say about Lion at this point.
Presumably re-installing ( and wiping HDD ) also cleared out a lot of extra ( third party ? ) apps you installed, which slowed down the system.

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2011, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
I apologize for having derailed the thread.

I didn't say it was a bad OS. I didn't say those who happen to like and enjoy W7 were wrong. And I didn't, because I personally hate to be pushed into a decision. And I think it's only fair that you have the same courtesy.

Making claims out of thin air is not my style. I find that Windows is not visually powerful, nor intellectually elegant and less a timeless design. It hardly adds that element of pleasure, beauty or surprise to everyday work. Those and other aspects I took into account before saying that, to me, the Windows 7 user interface was not great by design.

We could argue about these as a matter of opinion and either you agree or disagree with my point of view, you could always back up your opinion. Instead you got the wrong assumption I was some blind Apple fanboy which I ain't. Far from it.
^^^ That's like apologizing for punching someone in the face, and then proceeding to punch them in the face some more.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2011, 01:44 PM

One of the two main problems with downgrading has been solved.
Getting local "on my mac" mail from Lion's mail to Snow Leopard's mail. The mailboxes are .mbox files, but mail has always been funny about importing those. SL couldn't import the mailboxes as "Apple Mail" mail, or as ".mbox file" mail. But then I realized, DUH. My laptop is still on Lion and all of my active mail is IMAP. So I just loaded those mailboxes on to mail on my laptop. Then moved the mail from local folders to folders on the server. Then on my desktop, I did the opposite, moving from server folders to local folders on my 10.6 mail client. Worked great, although it did take a while to move 42K+ messages.

The other problem I have that I haven't really played around with much, is my address book. My local addresses are gone, and I'm left with all my addresses on an iCloud CardDAV account. Which sadly doesn't "count". Meaning people who have cards on the server, aren't reflected on my system. I'm still seeing screen names in iChat instead of real names. The big problem with the address book is that I have a lot of cards, and my groups are very important and need to be preserved.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2011, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by MacNNUK View Post
Presumably re-installing ( and wiping HDD ) also cleared out a lot of extra ( third party ? ) apps you installed, which slowed down the system.
This isn't windows. Having an .app in your apps folder does not effect your computer's speed, unless it's running.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2011, 01:52 PM

And the same is true for Windows.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by MacNNUK View Post
There were no third party apps installed on my MBP when running Snow Leopard; similarly there are no third party apps installed on my iMac running Lion. All the apps installed on both my MBP and my iMac are both Snow Leopard and Lion friendly!
I think that if I were to install Lion again on my MBP I would need to wipe the hard drive completely (160Gb's) and start afresh with a complete Lion install, then I would re-install any files I needed from my Snow/L back-up, and coupled with a magic mouse I am sure it would be OK! (I always use a mouse and not the track pad)
On the other hand, my MBP runs extremely well using Snow/L - so why fix something that aint broke?
As I said earlier, I was able to re-install Snow/L over Lion with no problems what-so-ever.
voicebox
"If you don't like the heat, don't go in the kitchen!"
17" Core2duo MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 4Gb/160HD Snow Leopard 10.6.8 || 15" PowerBook 1Gz 1Gb/120 HD Tiger 10.4.11|| 24" iMac 3.06Gz 4Gb/2TB HD Yosemite10.10.2

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2011, 01:31 PM

My final address book problem was easily solved by syncing my iphone again (I have it set so it doesn't automatically sync when you plug it in). The sync pulled all my contacts with groups, from my phone back on to my mac. Then I just deleted the 'account' for the carddav icloud. So now I'm back where I started. But with the address book, is there a way to get Address Book 10.6 to see a CardDAV account as 'real'? Something I can sync to, and something that will work with other apps like iChat? I would rather use an address book server instead of something local, but that seems a little buggy in 10.6 I guess?

Dex13
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2011, 05:49 AM

I was wondering if I should even try:
Early 2011 Macbook Pro (Refurb)
Arrived Yesterday with 10.7, but the keyboard has the two mission control button near the brightness for the keyboard and display.

this particular model shipped with 10.6.6 but all I have is 10.6.3 that I bought for my older iMac.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2011, 05:51 AM

If it shipped with 10.6.6, it should come with a 10.6.6 Disc of it's own? Your 10.6.3 probably won't boot it, but it will run 10.6.8. You may be able to contact Apple and have them send you replacement "original" media.

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Nov 22, 2011, 12:49 PM

There are one or two things that I do like about the Lion UI, but that's all I can say positive about Lion. It's an unfocused and strange attempt to make a workstation machine look and act like an iPad.

It's not worth the "upgrade". Stick with Snow Leopard as long as possible and hope that 10.8 will be more clearheaded and an actual Macintosh OS upgrade.

The main focus of Lion apart from iPadification, is to wheel its users in Apple's lackluster cloud-based services and to provide Apple with 30% of every software purchase you make.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2011, 10:05 AM

This thread underscores my belief that the favorite pastime of Mac users is complaining about their computers.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Forum Links
Forum Rules