Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Configuring Gaming VPN on Mac

Configuring Gaming VPN on Mac
billyedwards
Baninated
May 27, 2020, 10:21 PM

I am using Netduma router and it's gaming performance was smooth on Windows, no lags, nothing, but as soon as I have switched to Mac, I am seeing significant reduction and lags in speed. I am using Ivacy VPN at the moment and have also downloaded VPN from their download page for Mac, but even after installing customized client for Netduma, I am not able to achieve the same results on Mac. Anyone else facing this issue?
( Last edited by Thorzdad; May 27, 2020 at 10:57 PM. )

Lonely87
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2021, 08:46 AM

Yes, it happens quite often. What VPN do you use?

WandsKingers
Baninated
Mar 2, 2021, 01:13 PM

It's rather strange this issue is happening in general. I don't believe it's because of the Mac system. Maybe, you should change the settings. Anyway, there must be a proper solution to this problem. But I'm not sure if it' depends on the particular server you use when entering the site. Somehow, it might have been affected, but I don't think so. Honestly, sometimes I also do need to use VPN. I'm not gambling, I've found out that you can download some apps quicker than when using a direct IP address. So, I must admit that I've not faced any problems with the speed using this SpamService service. Surely, it's one of the most reliable VPNs in the world.
( Last edited by reader50; Mar 6, 2021 at 01:52 PM. Reason: fixed spam link)

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2021, 01:55 PM

Why would one game using a VPN?

reader50
Administrator
Mar 2, 2021, 07:13 PM

Perhaps they are playing X-rated games. Or gambling online with real money - ie, playing the stock markets.

P
Mar 3, 2021, 05:53 AM

Probably buying cheaper games out of market and region controls force them to play in the market they bought them. Games can be very cheap in markets with weaker economy.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

petrthomas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2021, 04:58 AM

Are you using a free version of a vpn or paid?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2021, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Perhaps they are playing X-rated games. Or gambling online with real money - ie, playing the stock markets.
Originally Posted by P View Post
Probably buying cheaper games out of market and region controls force them to play in the market they bought them. Games can be very cheap in markets with weaker economy.
All good answers! I was imagining the type of gaming situation where latency would be a bigger problem.

petrthomas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2021, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Why would one game using a VPN?
To play on other servers with low ping.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2021, 04:13 AM

Doesn’t the VPN mess with your ping?

petrthomas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2021, 02:06 AM

Not if you are using a paid vpn which has servers in the region you are targeting to play.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2021, 01:32 PM

Gotcha!

petrthomas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2021, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Gotcha!
Happy to help

radhamadhavmarble
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2021, 07:34 AM

Select VPN from the interface drop-down menu, select L2PT over IPSec from the service name drop-down menu, and select the name of your choice in the service name field.

Campbelden
Banned
Sep 30, 2021, 03:18 AM

You can configure the VPN to be accessible from a Mac or configure the client to work in standalone mode. Unfortunately, this won't solve the speed problem, only a small percentage will be better optimization. You might want to try other VPN options. Spam Product stays the same most of the time, you can see it in all the tops.
( Last edited by reader50; Oct 7, 2021 at 10:57 PM. Reason: fixed things up)

reader50
Administrator
Sep 30, 2021, 04:02 AM

I always knew the Client was a stand-up type of person.

Virginiavaginia
Baninated
Sep 26, 2022, 07:42 AM

On my iPhone and Mac, I only use Spam Product; it's the best spam service I would recommend. Because of the hatred around it, I was a little uncomfortable with it, but I have nothing negative to say. Some individuals simply favor one over the other. However, you have a many-day money-back guarantee, so you may return it if you don't like it. This is based on my experience. While privacy and speed are nearly comparable across the board, I suggest Spam Product for faster results. When not in use, iOS frequently disconnects from the Spam Service and reconnects repeatedly. This consumes battery as well. Finally, I'd advise Spam Product over Other Product.
( Last edited by reader50; Sep 29, 2022 at 05:55 AM. Reason: fixed up the spam post)

Forum Links
Forum Rules