Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Wireless docking

Wireless docking
P
Jan 29, 2015, 09:32 AM

A little tidbit I found about Intel Broadwell:

AnandTech | Intel Announces Broadwell vPro Processors: Wireless Docking and More

Broadwell now supports wireless docking, using a dedicated wireless network (802.11ad, think high bandwidth but short range). Suddenly the delayed Retina Macbook Air and the MIA 4K Thunderbolt display make a lot of sense. I bet this is what Apple plans to do - except with the docking station integrated into the display, of course. Combine this with a new power adapter with an integrated USB hub, and suddenly the rumored single port MBA makes sense.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

OreoCookie
Feb 25, 2015, 02:56 PM

Nice, I missed that announcement. That'd indeed change a lot and make life simpler. Most importantly, one docking station would word for all notebooks (at least those with support). And 7 GB/s is not too shabby for a wireless connection.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 25, 2015, 03:28 PM

802.11ad? Damn, how long has 802.11ac been around?

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Feb 25, 2015, 03:33 PM

Almost two years on AC.

P  (op)
Feb 25, 2015, 05:09 PM

They were finalized at roughly the same time, I think, but I haven't seen ad in use anywhere before. It doesn't work well in the regular router-client setup, because range is so poor, and ac is plenty fast for now. This is exactly the type of thing ad should be used for.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 25, 2015, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
It doesn't work well in the regular router-client setup, because range is so poor
I did catch that, but I still thought it was interesting. I recently upgraded my airport, and was surprised to learn my Air had spec ac, and that ac existed. Which goes to show how far I've fallen off the tech game.

Forum Links
Forum Rules