Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Looking for help figuring out improved performace estimate.

Looking for help figuring out improved performace estimate.
iM@k
Senior User
Mar 4, 2009, 02:01 AM

In short: I'm buying one of the new Mini's and maxing out it's RAM. It's going to replace my one PC system that I built back in '04, and solely use for MS Flight Sim.

I know the Mini even with it's update is not a "gaming" system, but I can run FS decently enough on my first Gen MacBook, So I'm sure the new Mini can handle it.

What I'm trying to estimate is how much better (if at all) performance-wise will the new Mini be over my 5 year old PC. Here are the PC specs:

- ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
- AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Winchester 1.8GHz Socket 939 Single-Core
- 2GB DDR RAM
- BFG nVidia 6600GT w/128 VRAM PCI-E

Would you say comparable, better, or superior? Will the 9400M with 256 shared memory exceed the 6600GT with 128 dedicated?
What, me worry?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2009, 09:56 PM

It will be hard to find comparisons between a mainstream desktop graphics chip and a low end laptop graphics chip from several generations later. I'd expect the performance to be no better (based on 3DMark scores) and ultimately an unsatisfying experience. To play the modern versions of MSFS at decent resolution/settings/framerate you need a lot of computing performance.

Forum Links
Forum Rules